• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC notes slight resto, assigns blue label?

34 posts in this topic

So is slight color touch not considered resto, then? How do you distinguish the line at which point CT becomes extensive enough to warrant a PLOD?

Seems to me it would be a lot easier for CGC to simply consider any CT meriting a PLOD than to figure out an extent of work done on a book on a case-by-case basis, then judge (by what criteria, exactly?) if it should get a purple or blue label...

I don't follow these aspects closely but the demarcation line is typically at:

If this (CT or other) can be removed withouth damage to the book, it gets a blue label. If not, it gets a PLOD.

Feel free to correct me.

If this (CT or other) can be removed without damage to the book, it gets a blue label. If not, it gets a PLOD.

Feel free to correct me.

Correction forthcoming:

It was my understanding that if the color touch did not affect the final grade (in others words, the book would be a 4.0 whether the original color was there or not), then the book received a blue label and a notation.

If this (CT or other) can be removed withouth damage to the book, it gets a blue label. If not, it gets a PLOD.

Feel free to correct me.

I thought that "this (CT or other) can be removed withouth damage to the book" then it received a PLOD with a (P) and then "if not" it gets a PLOD with an (A)?

But to answer the OP's question, as Nick said, since Day 1. The one qualification is the book has to be pre-1950 (although I do remember a thread here where a Showcase # 4 got this treatment). CGC did this pre-1950 thing to appease the owners of "worked on" Edgar Church/Mile High books and to get them to submit them. You know they wouldn't submit them if they received a purple label, so CGC came up with this idea. Brilliant!

Interesting. Thanks!

I was thinking about glue. Small spot of glue that can be safely scraped get Blue but heavy glue that can't gets PLOD. But the same applies with your statement. If it can be removed easily, the grade probably wouldn't change but if the glue is what holds the book integrity then PLOD. Makes sense.

So is slight color touch not considered resto, then? How do you distinguish the line at which point CT becomes extensive enough to warrant a PLOD?

Seems to me it would be a lot easier for CGC to simply consider any CT meriting a PLOD than to figure out an extent of work done on a book on a case-by-case basis, then judge (by what criteria, exactly?) if it should get a purple or blue label...

It's even on the back of the CGC case:

"At the sole discretion of CGC, very minor color-touch or glue may be assigned a marked and color-coded "Universal" label, however, a description of the detected restoration, in general or specific terms, will be disclosed."

Actually, I would like to see more blue labels with tiny CT. Analogous to the FDA allowing so many rodent parts per million in a hot dog why not allow it ? With the popularity of Signature Service it's hypocrytical to hammer a book for a tiny dot of a pen that may have simply fallen out of the hand of the seller onto the book. Not sure if I can say the same about glue, that sounds more intentional and may mask a popped staple or split.

I think the "doesn't impact grade" notion makes sense. If the book is a VG without the CT and an apparent VG with it, why not?

Treat it like an ink stain and deduct from the grade accordingly.

What I've wondered more about is the books with a little bit of glue on the spine that get blue labels as I have a pretty early More Fun with a touch of glue on the spine and I wonder how CGC would handle it (and don't want to spend $45 to find out...)

Feel free to correct me.

I thought that "this (CT or other) can be removed withouth damage to the book" then it received a PLOD with a (P) and then "if not" it gets a PLOD with an (A)?

But to answer the OP's question, as Nick said, since Day 1. The one qualification is the book has to be pre-1950 (although I do remember a thread here where a Showcase # 4 got this treatment). CGC did this pre-1950 thing to appease the owners of "worked on" Edgar Church/Mile High books and to get them to submit them. You know they wouldn't submit them if they received a purple label, so CGC came up with this idea. Brilliant!

And I also think we've seen an AF #15 treated the same way. hm

Isn't it great when you can make the rules up as you go along? :D

From the very beginning, CGC made the decision that books from before 1950 found with a very minor amount of color touch or glue acting as restoration can still get a blue Universal label, although the color touch or glue will still always be disclosed on the label itself. In addition, the minor color touch or glue will be treated as a defect and will in no way raise the grade of the book.

(As an aside, the SHOWCASE #4 mentioned had a drop of glue on it, but it was non-functional, i.e. was not being used to seal a tear or as reinforcement. So despite being post-1950, the glue on the book was a defect and was not being used as restoration, which is why the note on the SHOWCASE #4 did not say: "Restoration includes: very small amount of glue on cover." but instead simply "Small amount of glue on cover." Like tape, glue is something that the graders at CGC always disclose on the label weather it's functional or not.)

To sum up-

1.The book must be from before 1950.

2. The color touch or glue found must be very minor.

3. It will ALWAYS be noted on the label itself.

4. It will be down-graded.

:rulez:

I thought it was because it found that a later dealer of the Church collection had coloured touched books and the Church books were so close to the holy grail for some that provisions were made.

I thought it was because it found that a later dealer of the Church collection had coloured touched books and the Church books were so close to the holy grail for some that provisions were made.

Quite possibly.

But I doubt you'll be getting anybody to admit it it anytime soon. :/