• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why you passed

86 posts in this topic

Every collector has their likes and dislikes when it comes to books. I thought it might be interesting to see people post books they thought bout buying but ended up passing on because of some defect they couldn't get over.

Here is one I thought long and hard about. Batman 7, real cool cover and this copy is very nice structurally with sweet white pages. I just couldn't get past the off-center printing. Off center printing and miscut are two defects that are hard for me to see past. Now don't get me wrong, this is a real nice book, just my own pet peeve holds me back.

batman_7.jpg

before cgc, a fully detached cover, or, even worse, a split down the spine cover lost me. didn't want a book in 2 or 3 pieces. i don't crack slabs, tho', and inside those books again become one piece. i have a couple cover detached books, but no spine split ones.

mm9.jpg

Every collector has their likes and dislikes when it comes to books.

Over the years, too many books for me to recall.

1. Seller's integrity (or lack thereof) would rank tops for me passing on books because I have zero interest in what they have to offer.

2. Page Quality/Brittleness is a big no-no; I've knowingly purchased just one book with very slight brittlness (and in one spot only, too) because it was so darn rare.

3. PGX is an auto-pass; I've only bought 3 PGX books and cracked 'em out - got burned on two. Too many horror stories to ignore.

Everything else I can probably live with, but it just depends on the book and the price. If a book I'd otherwise want has a particular defect that detracts from its presentability enough to cause me pause, the price would have to be low enough to compensate for that particular defect, regardless of the label (which usually thus equals a "pass" for me).

For me, registration matters a lot. Here is a nice Batman 20, very nice structurally, but the blue registration just does me in.

batman_20.jpg

25 years ago I passed on the Church copy of this book.

Why? Because I was an idi0t.