• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Lady in White Journal

161 posts in this topic

Guest Reader
I ran across this piece which I thought you would dig.

(thumbs u ran across it where? Just wondering what it was produced for....

The painting is by Enric Torres. I found the image on his site but it doesn't say what it was used for. Possibly an old paperback book cover.

Lots of new Journals going these days, love seeing people journaling their collecting.

Had a new arrival for the Lady in White collection today.

House of Secrets #95. Nick Cardy cover.

Only a 9.0 but there arent many on the census/market to go after.

Started at one over at Comicconnect for the last 6 months.

That one is a 9.2, but has a $125 asking price, and has already passed on offers of $70 and 80. My book came in for less (god love the boards!)

Bit of color loss along the top edge. Strong centering, and great color.

brOba.jpg

I don't remember if this has been discussed yet or not:

Phantom_Stranger_Vol_2_22.jpg

At first glance, it looks like she's wearing red. But I took a look at a larger scan and I wasn't so sure. Mainly because I'm not sure that red garment is her dress. The way the guy is holding her, if it was her dress, it wouldn't be draped down like that, it would be tucked under her, if you see what I mean. I think the red is actually a cape, like many of the women are wearing on these covers. Due to the lighting, whether her actual dress is white or not is up for debate.

I might be wrong, there is a part on her right arm colored red also. But either way, it's a great cover.

I don't remember if this has been discussed yet or not:

Phantom_Stranger_Vol_2_22.jpg

At first glance, it looks like she's wearing red. But I took a look at a larger scan and I wasn't so sure. Mainly because I'm not sure that red garment is her dress. The way the guy is holding her, if it was her dress, it wouldn't be draped down like that, it would be tucked under her, if you see what I mean. I think the red is actually a cape, like many of the women are wearing on these covers. Due to the lighting, whether her actual dress is white or not is up for debate.

I might be wrong, there is a part on her right arm colored red also. But either way, it's a great cover.

I dont wanna talk about that book... I missed a great NM raw one here on the boards not long ago... ugh... its totally on my radar. Between the mansion, the lightning in the sky.. it has so much going for it...

I don't remember seeing this one in here yet:

5625-2059-6148-1-dracula_large.jpg

I'm not sure if you've looked at Marvel's "Dracula Lives" magazine sized, black and white series, but almost every single cover in the entire run features a lady in white being terrorized gothic style. These are just a couple examples:

COMIC_dracula_lives_05.jpg

draclives_03.jpg

After that series ended, they started a Tomb of Dracula b+w comic magazine as well:

tomb-of-dracula-magazine.jpg

2922280205_740905a2d1_o.jpg

draclives_03.jpg

Nice ones Crimebuster! I always feel like the Dracula covers are a cheat for the Gothic Horror covers (the best Gothic Horror covers are the ones with only an implied or unseen threat, vs the Dracula covers where he's front and center)...

I particularly like the Drac Lives #3 which is also a Neal Adams cover!

So its Friday... and I'd rather not be thinking about work... so maybe a little noodling on my journal :)

I've been going thru some 1/2 baked mental scoring on what makes a book "Lady in White Collection" worthy, vs not. Plenty of horror books out there, lots of damsels in distress, and more white dresses than one can shake a CGC slabbed stick at. So what are the most important elements that need to be in a LiW book, and who makes/breaks the scores?

So lets see, if we do a 100 point scale, where 100 is Lady in White perfection how do the points get distributed?

Lady in White Points:

Damsel in Distress +35

White Dress + 20

Blonde +5

Running/On the run +5

House/Mansion/Castle in scene +15

Single light on in house/mansion/castle +5

Staircase +5

Unknown/Mysterious threat +5

Mist/fog and/or Moon/moonlight +5

Explicit supernatural threat -5

Lets see how that works out when grading the cover subject matter of the books on my list....

Well it looks like my equation was pretty good at ranking the Gothic Horror-y-ness of the various Lady in White books:

oUqKO.jpg

As one would imagine, the books from the Gothic Horror lines (Dark Mansion, Sinsiter House... etc) scored the highest. The horror titles (House of Mystery, Secret) also did well, but occasionally did not include all of the thematic elements of the Gothic horror cover... and the Super Hero titles (Phantom Stranger/Wonder Woman) and Marvel title (who were not into the Gothic Horror thing in the 70s beyond Dracula) fared lowest.

Has Phantom Stranger #38 been discussed?

Phantom_Stranger_Vol_2_38.jpg

you know I stumbled across it a few weeks back and asked myself "why didnt I include this?" All I can think is that I disqualified it due to the nun element...

which is dumb...

PUT IT ON THE BOARD!

Nice one... that makes two more Phantom Strangers to the list.

Here's a scan

Witching Hour #59 CGC 9.6 Don Rosa Collection

Luis Dominguez cover...

We have a lady in white (a nightgown at that) carrying her candle to light the decrepit stone staircase.

OwyuG.jpg

Question for you, do you have reader copies of these issues as well? Do you crack these bad larrys to read them? Or not read them at all?

Just curious.

Slabbed books stay slabbed, but I've been slowly buying reader versions of many of these books (occasionally pointing out those purchases in this thread too)...

Most times the cover far out distances the interiors... but they are still fun to read.

Oh my goodness, what an awesome thread! I just realized, that unknowingly, I had basically been working on the same books for the past few months, but with international editions. I am currently working on completing HoS 88-95 with the Mexican Novaro editions, I have acquired multiple WW199 and 200 editions (CGCd Americans copies and from other countries), and found a rare Spanish copy of Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 2. I am not sure if this goes with this theme as well, but I also sought out (and found) international edtions to Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 120, 122, and 135. I even got a Cover Proof for WW199 (which I hope to one day frame)...I guess this is all about cool chick covers...

Wow..its interesting to actually see them all lined up next to each other the way you did...very cool, very cool dude; nice work for sure!

New Arrival thanks to seanfingh!

Secrets of Sinister House #5

Just a 7.5 but presenting nicely (I'd say easy 8+)

Nick Cardy Cover

McAfG.jpg

Lady in White Points:

Damsel in Distress +35

White Dress + 20

Blonde +5

Running/On the run +5

Single light on in house/mansion/castle +5

Unknown/Mysterious threat +5

Explicit supernatural threat -5

Solid 70 points