• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Lady in White Journal

161 posts in this topic

Hello... who are you?

You weren't on the list Witching Hour #59!

But look at that lovely lady in white!

And she's coming down a staircase?

With a candle in hand?

And there is a menacing ghoul of some sort waiting at the bottom for her?

Plus its a Luis Dominguez cover! Luis did a ton of great horror covers in the 70s (lots of Witching Hour, some HOM, some HOS, some Phantom Stranger, and the Unexpected #178 I'm still looking for!

I'll do a full review once it's in hand, but here's the sellers photo from the auction:

k6o8S.jpg

One more book coming via the boards to preview...

Not Gothic, but it is horror.

And there's my Lady in White... even though its a more modern lady!

U3pPE.jpg

thanks to heliosten for the sale!

What a great thread! (worship)

I have most of these books too, just because I love the covers. Gothic Horror Covers are one of my favorites.

Thanks! I'm with you (obviously), the 70s Gothic covers were a great little sub-genre of the great Horror titles of that time.

What a great thread! (worship)

I have most of these books too, just because I love the covers. Gothic Horror Covers are one of my favorites.

Thanks! I'm with you (obviously), the 70s Gothic covers were a great little sub-genre of the great Horror titles of that time.

The covers remind me of the old Hammer Films :cloud9:

Didn't see this one on your excellent list....I'm thinking it needs to be there!

bravebold105.jpg

Wonder Woman in the white Jump Suit has been nipping around the edges of this list for a while (there's a great World's Finest cover with her and Superman back to back I think).

I think you've found the best example yet shrunk!

Between the full moon, and the weird/crazy figurehead on the front of the ship it definitely moves to the top of my tier 2 of ladies in white!

Im sure I'll submit my Batman #227 (for resto check and grading) and my Unexpected #127 (cause they are not common to find slabbed). But I might keep my HOS #88 raw. Its in nice condition (VF+) but is pretty off-center in both directions (angle) so it doesn't present amazingly. I may keep it raw until I can replace it with a nicer presenting one (raw or slabbed). This is another book that doesn't seem to come on the market slabbed very often.

hm Neal Adams was just added to the Dragon*con list for later this month.... hm

Maybe I will get him to sign that Batman #227 and the HOS #88.... oh what to do...

Came across this cover recently and thought of this thread

Rom33.jpg

Its on my list... its probably the single most modern gothic horror lady in white cover.

Im waiting for one to pop up in high grade to snag for the collection...

It has all the elements!

2hI0o.jpg

So since the registry wont let me create extensive notes for each book, I've decided to start uploading these jpeg creations of my articles for my LiW registry.

Its to bad that custom sets spread across many titles can never win a Top Registry award... :sorry:

Hello... who are you?

You weren't on the list Witching Hour #59!

But look at that lovely lady in white!

And she's coming down a staircase?

With a candle in hand?

And there is a menacing ghoul of some sort waiting at the bottom for her?

Plus its a Luis Dominguez cover! Luis did a ton of great horror covers in the 70s (lots of Witching Hour, some HOM, some HOS, some Phantom Stranger, and the Unexpected #178 I'm still looking for!

I'll do a full review once it's in hand, but here's the sellers photo from the auction:

k6o8S.jpg

Well looks like this book will never make it here.

Book got shipped out, and tracked to the point of delivery but somehow it never made it to my hands. I have my books shipped to work because my house is on a very well traveled street by a school and the idea of a box sitting at my front door for 1/2 a day as 400 school kids and dozens of cars drive past it is less appealing than having a book delivered to my office even though that means it has to go thru 2 extra pairs of hands...

but alas it did not make it. And all the checking and searching has proved fruitless.

Maybe it will show up eventually, but we are nearing the 2 weeks missing mark, so I'm pretty sure it will never arrive.

Alas, this book is not very common either slabbed or in high grade...

Never posted my current raw copy of House Of Secrets #88, the iconic start of the HOS Gothic covers...

This Neal Adams cover, in his loose sketchy-painted style, is just so amazing.

It has it all...

• The Lady in White
  • Our LiW is in a long flowing nightgown
  • Our LiW is a blonde
  • Our LiW is clutching at her chest as she runs away from some unknown threat, looking over her shoulder
  • We have the dark moonlit night
  • Mist swirls around the bottom of the cover adding to the atmosphere
  • Gothic-y elements in the statuary surrounding our LiW
  • The curved staircase descending the hilltop
  • The Mansion on the hill perfectly with one single light on at the top window

The composition on this book is perfect. The dark tones int he cover allowing the white dress to pop. The same yellow tone being repeated from the LiW's hair color, to the light in the window on the House on the Hill, again being repeated in the coloring of the Cover Title. Adams leaving enough negative space in the top left quadrant to allow for the heavier stylings across the rest of the book. The flowing gown having its elements repeated in the swirling fog.

This particular copy, VF at best, is soooo off-center left to right. I intended to leave it raw, but with Adams being at Dragon*Con in a few weeks this seemed to be a perfect SigSeries candidate.

XGIE5.jpg