• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Spidey 129 French Canadian Heritage

16 posts in this topic

Ok.... these books are really rare to find in high grade from what I have been told and researched myself. I was real surprised to find one in this condition! One little nagging problem though, it does have some minor stress creases and a date stamp type thingy.... but in the right edge of the cover has a 1/8th inch tear! :sorry:

If not for the tear this book could be in the 8.5-9.2 range I think? hm How badly is the tear going to affect grade? Could this still get a 8.0? Thanks in advance guys!

front.jpg

back.jpg

frontdamage.jpg

I looked through a bunch of scans I have collected to try and find some info to support the grade and tear. The highest I found with a tear was 6.5. But tears are hard to see from scans and the 6.5, 6.0 books I found with tears had other (in my opinion larger) defects.

Based on that I would give this a 7.0 but I may be off. Just my 2 cents based on what I could find.

I looked through a bunch of scans I have collected to try and find some info to support the grade and tear. The highest I found with a tear was 6.5. But tears are hard to see from scans and the 6.5, 6.0 books I found with tears had other (in my opinion larger) defects.

Based on that I would give this a 7.0 but I may be off. Just my 2 cents based on what I could find.

That was what I feared.... would this get a qualified green 9.2 label ya think? hm

Creases don't appear to be CB, hard for me to tell on my computer though, given the color/tan-ness of the FC. If they aren't CB, the corners look really great. Would venture 8.5/9.0

Even with the tear? The creases are not color breaking.... the problem isnt the creases, its that damn 1/8th inch tear! :pullhair:

Ah, the tear...I didn't see it. It looks pretty small. I don't think it would be a qualified grade. If the tear were very large, and it were the only thing keeping the book from a 9.0 let's say, then I think it would be a qualified grade. I think it's probably 6.5 or 7.0

Ahhh darn.. the highest book on the census is a 7.0.... I really wasnt going to try to submit unless it could be the lone highest! These French books are damn hard to find in any grade higher than fine. According to my research the print runs of these were between 8 thousand and 10 thousand. They were printed for one province in Canada only and hard core Canadian collectors prefered american editions. So these were not hoarded or taken care of.... doh! If not for the tear this could have been the best French Canadian 129 variant in existance.... Double doh!doh!

Thanks guys!

I have seen a few of these book's. Sorry, but I know of at least 2-3 copies that are in the 9.0+ grade area. So this book wouldn't get the highest graded. A dealer/collector in the Montreal, Qc.area has most if not all of the Heritage French books ever published.

I would say your book would grade at 6.5 - 7.0

I have seen a few of these book's. Sorry, but I know of at least 2-3 copies that are in the 9.0+ grade area. So this book wouldn't get the highest graded. A dealer/collector in the Montreal, Qc.area has most if not all of the Heritage French books ever published.

I would say your book would grade at 6.5 - 7.0

Really? Nice! I wonder if he would part with any? hm

He just sold two of them not all that long ago. He has multiples of almost every book. He is keeping the best for himself. I will ask him if he would be willing to part with another copy. His best copy is in the 9.4 - 9.6 grade range. He has co-authored a book about these books as well. Now there is a book that is just near impossible to find.

He just sold two of them not all that long ago. He has multiples of almost every book. He is keeping the best for himself. I will ask him if he would be willing to part with another copy. His best copy is in the 9.4 - 9.6 grade range. He has co-authored a book about these books as well. Now there is a book that is just near impossible to find.

Wow.. I am always willing to be schooled on foriegns... is his books in French or English? Can it be found online?

I have been doing some research on how tears affect the grade, looking at more scans and asking around. One of the other guys on the forum said they have a few that are CGC slabbed that look like a 9.2 but have a 1/4" tear and still got an 8.5. So this may not be that high But it may not take it down to a 7.0 either. Just thought I would pass the extra info along...