• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the value of this 1984 McFarlane portfolio?

18 posts in this topic

Considering that his first Marvel work was done in 1983 but didn't actually get published until 1985 (Coyote)... This 1984 edition took some guts to publish.

And look where he is now... Calling his own shots and running his own company. (thumbs u

Can't see what it went for... but if he was up for the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Mini-series, how raw could he have been since they ended up going with Al Milgrom? (Kitty Pryde and Wolverine was so awful I've blanked it out of my memory except for the horrid covers.)

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-1984-todd-mcfarlane-x-men-port-wolverine

Offered is a RARE 1984 X-Men Portfolio by Todd McFarlane titled the Perils Of Pryde! It has 4 8 1/2 X 11" prints showing Wolverine, Magneto, & Kitty Pryde! This is number 131 of only 500 copies made! All 4 prints and the envelope are in MINT condition! This is very early Todd McFarlane art, it even dates before his first published art in Coyote #11! The art was made for the Kitty Pryde & Wolverine Limited Series but it was never published. Winning bidder pays $5.00 for Priority Mail shipping in the US. International shipping will likely be extra. I can accept money orders and PayPal as payment. BUYING MULTIPLE ITEMS WILL SAVE ON SHIPPING! I WILL BE PUTTING A BIG CHUNK OF MY COMIC BOOK COLLECTION ON EBAY WITH LOW STARTING BIDS IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS SO PLEASE CHECK OUT MY OTHER AUCTIONS FOR GREAT DEALS!

Any other thoughts on this? (shrug)

I have never really considered this type of thing "worth" very much. Just considered it a collectible item for someone who likes McFarlane art. But who knows. Stick the sucker on ebay and we can all learn something.

I was waiting for you to offer me $600 for it! :wishluck:

I have never really considered this type of thing "worth" very much. Just considered it a collectible item for someone who likes McFarlane art. But who knows. Stick the sucker on ebay and we can all learn something.

I can only go to $550. Sorry. Guess I will look for the Liefeld portfolio instead.

I can only go to $550. Sorry. Guess I will look for the Liefeld portfolio instead.

:roflmao:

LiefeldCap-original.jpg

Here it is...any excue to post this cr@p

There's definitely a subsection of the art collectors community that collects artist portfolios, and there is a pretty penny put on rare portfolios and early portfolios (especially pre-big 2 signing).

I'm sure there's value to the portfolio, you might want to post a question over in the Original Art forum to see if anyone has an opinion, you might also find some other owners of the same portfolio.

Be warned, the "limited #' can be misleading. All it really tells you is how many were printed up of that batch. Some artists would do a second printing of the same portfolio if they ran out mid-con-season, and not necessarily note that it was a second printing. Most of the portfolio collectors have figured out how to spot the various printings (some had different color cover stock, others just different printing companies listed on them)....

LiefeldCap-original.jpg

Here it is...any excue to post this cr@p

Liefeld Captain America :sick:

Did you ever find out the value of this set? I have a set also and have never been able to price it. A little back story on it though...Marvel confiscated alot of the 500 because the were bootlegged. Todds college roommate and him made these to sell at a SD Comic-con. When marvel found out they confiscated the ones they could get. So, there are less out there then the print run. I was fortunate enough to go to a convention that Todd was at and had the envelope they come in signed, so I would really like to know the value of the set.