• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any guesses on what the Calvin & Hobbes painting will sell for?

108 posts in this topic

The Heritage hype machine is running full blast for this piece. They're casting the net far and wide, well beyond the comics OA crowd. The estimate given in the press releases is $50K..."with the potential to go much higher". So...minimum $50K.

Obviously, the BSDs drive the upper end of the market. They will be after this one. With every other "A" level piece that's come to market, whether it's Kirby or Miller or Romita or anyone else, most BSDs already have an example. And if they lose, it's only a matter of time before another example pops up. What do most BSDs not have in their collections? What is almost never for sale, at any price? CALVIN & HOBBES. I have a feeling this one will be fought over...hard.

Im guessing everyone here has seen the C&H Painting by Bill Waterson being offered by Heritage?

Any guess as to what it would sell for?

I am guessing $30-$35k.

AJ

If I thought it could be had for this side of $40k even I'd consider throwing my hat in the ring which tells me its pretty damn unlikely. :D

It's a great looking piece and a rare opportunity for a published C&H.

Although 6 figures seems a bit optimistic but that's just my take.

The Heritage hype machine is running full blast for this piece. They're casting the net far and wide, well beyond the comics OA crowd. The estimate given in the press releases is $50K..."with the potential to go much higher". So...minimum $50K.

Obviously, the BSDs drive the upper end of the market. They will be after this one. With every other "A" level piece that's come to market, whether it's Kirby or Miller or Romita or anyone else, most BSDs already have an example. And if they lose, it's only a matter of time before another example pops up. What do most BSDs not have in their collections? What is almost never for sale, at any price? CALVIN & HOBBES. I have a feeling this one will be fought over...hard.

Exaclty

Wow, I am sure you guys are right but I just don't get it. Paying huge money for something with an artificially low supply (lots exist just not much on the market... ) is crazy to me. But I guess if you have scrooge mcduck money and you really like C&H, whatever. So not how I would spend my money, but I guess differences are what makes life interesting.

Just curious, would most of you rather have this book cover or a daily of your choice? It's a pretty cover and all, but really was resonated for me was the writing, along with the art, of the strip.

Funny you should ask that. I've mentioned to other collectors that as nice as this piece is, I'd much rather have a Sunday or even a daily. But I think if auctioned side-by-side with a Sunday, this piece would still be valued higher. Covers rule this hobby.

Just curious, would most of you rather have this book cover or a daily of your choice? It's a pretty cover and all, but really was resonated for me was the writing, along with the art, of the strip.

I'd take this over a daily.

If you made it a sunday I might have to take the sunday.

I agree with you in principle - this is just the cover to a calendar that was viewed/purchased by a tiny fraction of the millions of people who read and enjoyed the dailies. That said, as art, it does present nicer than a daily, so I'd probably take it over a daily. But, I'd definitely take a good Sunday over this piece any day.

I'd pick a Sunday over this cover all day. And even though the rarity inflates the price, I think that C&Hs dailies and Sunday's would still go for a lot of money if they were originally sold to the public. I'm sure there would be certain collectors that would own a number of them for their personal collections so there would be a limited supply in the open market anyway.

I would not call artificial low supply. Of course the art exist, but it will never be available for sale since everything has beed donated to a museum.

So for those who have the money, it's now or never.

Museums often deaccession material, either by selling to another museum or via auction, even against the wishes of the donating artist, particularly in cases where the institution must raise funds to survive.

I would not call artificial low supply. Of course the art exist, but it will never be available for sale since everything has beed donated to a museum.

So for those who have the money, it's now or never.

Museums often deaccession material, either by selling to another museum or via auction, even against the wishes of the donating artist, particularly in cases where the institution must raise funds to survive.

Artists can place conditions on the donations, and I'm guessing Watterson probably did so. Also, the art was donated to a museum, but to a university archive.