• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking advice on buying a small GA collection

75 posts in this topic

:hi:

Looks like I may have stumbled across my first basement find ( as you will see in a minute :eek: ). I thought that if I provide most of the details I have already, some folks may be in the position to offer a spot of advice (thumbs u

First off, it my be useful to let you know my goal would be to break even or make a little money on the deal. I am not necessarily looking to flip the whole collection and just be cash positive. Ideally, I keep a few books and remain cash neutral. Also, I have bought a couple of small SA collections and my fair share of drek long-boxes, so I am familiar with negotiating and the basics, but this would be my first bulk lot of GA books.

Here is the information I have at present. I was not kidding when I mentioned a basement find, as it sounds like all the books have water damage to some degree (sounds like a number of books are completely destroyed, whereas a significant portion are in better shape. Overall with descriptions I got,I will most likely be looking at Fr to G/VG books with the primary problems being water damage, some tape on more worn books, and rusted staples.

As for the books themselves, it appears to be pretty much solely ECs. Multiple issues of Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Shock SuspenStories, Crime SuspenStories, and Mad...even a few post implosion/code books like MD, Panic, and one other I cannot recall.

Any advice from the experts and those with experience in this arena is greatly appreciated. (worship)

EC books in FR-G/VG is not going to fetch you a lot in return, even less with water damage and dirt.... sounds like at best you got some reading material from your find.

Many EC books can be easily found in high grade (known as Gaines file copies), thus, in general they are quite plentiful.

There are a few "key" issues that die hard collectors may focus on, due to content or cover art, so these might be the ones you can resell.... if they're in at VG.

Those are my thoughts.

Well, a Crime SuspenStories #22 (or two) could boost the collection's value quite a bit! :wishluck:

If the collection has significant water damage, that could be quite a problem though. Even for reading copies, buyers will be resistant to pick up books that are warped or wavy. Look through the collection carefully, checking interior pages as well as covers on the better books.

Watch out for brittleness too, if the books are degraded and were not stored properly.

Be cautious in the figure you are offering, and be prepared to walk if the owner is not realistic about values.

Looks like I may have stumbled across my first basement find ( as you will see in a minute :eek: ). I thought that if I provide most of the details I have already, some folks may be in the position to offer a spot of advice (thumbs u

First off, it my be useful to let you know my goal would be to break even or make a little money on the deal. I am not necessarily looking to flip the whole collection and just be cash positive. Ideally, I keep a few books and remain cash neutral. Also, I have bought a couple of small SA collections and my fair share of drek long-boxes, so I am familiar with negotiating and the basics, but this would be my first bulk lot of GA books.

Here is the information I have at present. I was not kidding when I mentioned a basement find, as it sounds like all the books have water damage to some degree (sounds like a number of books are completely destroyed, whereas a significant portion are in better shape. Overall with descriptions I got,I will most likely be looking at Fr to G/VG books with the primary problems being water damage, some tape on more worn books, and rusted staples.

As for the books themselves, it appears to be pretty much solely ECs. Multiple issues of Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Shock SuspenStories, Crime SuspenStories, and Mad...even a few post implosion/code books like MD, Panic, and one other I cannot recall.

Any advice from the experts and those with experience in this arena is greatly appreciated. (worship)

Price them out at Guide. Cut it in half. Go outside for a walk. Come back. Cut in in half again. Go watch Auction Hunters. Cut it in half again. That's where you should be. Those books are EVERYWHERE in that grade. They're very solid books, but will be dogs in that kind of grade.

Price them out at Guide. Cut it in half. Go outside for a walk. Come back. Cut in in half again. Go watch Auction Hunters. Cut it in half again. That's where you should be. Those books are EVERYWHERE in that grade. They're very solid books, but will be dogs in that kind of grade.

Not bad, Dan.

Many of these will sell for 1/3 - 1/2 of Overstreet Good. That means buy at 1/6 of Good to make sure you can make a few bucks.

hm

Do not think I did that well against guide :doh:

The collection looks to be a bit bigger than originally thought (be sure to ask me about the Superman 2 that turned to paper soup lol ) Anyway, apparently the ECs suffered some damage with some having the aforementioned rust and defintely some degree of water damage to most (although mild on a number of them).

Anyway, in part to get ahold of some and better examine them at my leisure, I bought a portion of the books. Got 30 fairly randomly selected copies (representative of grade and title). I insited on the Shock Suspenstories 6, they wanted to hold back most of the Mads from the first sale. We have plans to speak again this weekend and by then I can process the advice above and thoughts I have after looking at the books closer :)

So without the suggestions, I was left to go it alone (OK not quite alone since I picked up a partner to help defray costs and share the fun with :cloud9: ). I pretty much just asked myself what price on these would have me hitting F5/refresh like it was a Foolkiller thread on them. Figured that would be $15 each...I knocked off a little and got a stack of 30 for $400...let me know what you all think...pics incoming :ohnoez:

:gossip: A few solo shots included of the best one and worst one of the lot (best is the SSS 6 I think, worst is the Vault of Horror 29...completely split spine :cry: )

Yeah they aren't going to set the world ablaze but I would be psyched to get a collection like this. Take a few back cover photos (if not scans) so we can see the water stains (if any).

Send me a PM on the Superman 2.

Wow, from your description I expected a lot worse. I know digital photos can be kind to the flaws, but at a glance these look dramatically better than "Fair to GVG". You done well! :applause:

I will officially buy them all for 1/3 of Good.

:hi: Ed...we have them quarantining the Supes...they said it was mush...we asked to take a peek since even at parts it may retain some value...but will keep ya posted lol

In truth, I am pretty pleased for a first effort...did not know enough about ECs (knew the covers to look for, but not the numbers...hoping the next time some more of the early, early ones turn up again (like the Crypt of Horror...got lucky there :) )

Water damage makes it hard for me to grade...perhaps I was overly harsh, let me try to get some back pics like Ed suggested and maybe some advice on grading will help...at first blush (flipping through and taking in the musk :eek: ) I graded the majority at G- to G+ with the SSS 6 topping out at VG+ish I thought :shrug:

Photobucket took forever to upload these...give it 30 minutes or so and hopefully I will have a few back covers to peek at.

Wow, from your description I expected a lot worse. I know digital photos can be kind to the flaws, but at a glance these look dramatically better than "Fair to GVG". You done well! :applause:

Thanks...definitely had the thrill of the hunt and a good feeling on the drive home...the earlier description was phone conversation only...in person they do look better, but the moisture damage is there (again some escaped with pretty minimal difficulties...others not so much)