• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking advice on buying a small GA collection

75 posts in this topic

I will officially buy them all for 1/3 of Good.

Absolutely. Even with the moderate water damage, you can get at least 1/2 of good all day long for books that present well like these do.

Thrilled to hear that...some of them despite the moisture have really fresh white pages (not so much on the smell though :P )

Wow, from your description I expected a lot worse. I know digital photos can be kind to the flaws, but at a glance these look dramatically better than "Fair to GVG". You done well! :applause:

Thanks...definitely had the thrill of the hunt and a good feeling on the drive home...the earlier description was phone conversation only...in person they do look better, but the moisture damage is there (again some escaped with pretty minimal difficulties...others not so much)

Yeah, I hear you. Some will likely have low technical grades even if they present better. Looks like a great haul though. I'd be psyched! (thumbs u

Those are really nice. Your description made them sound like they were dreadful. You got THAT pile for $400? I'll give you $600 right now.

You crack me up, Dan! You just come right out and say what we're all thinking! lol

Those are really nice. Your description made them sound like they were dreadful. You got THAT pile for $400? I'll give you $600 right now.

You crack me up, Dan! You just come right out and say what we're all thinking! lol

lol Did not want to disappoint myself, so definitely went in with low expectations, but glad to hear that I did all right :cloud9: As requested a few back cover pics.

back1.jpg

Crime SuspenStories 15

back2.jpg

Crime SuspenStories 24

back3.jpg

Crypt of Terror 19

back4.jpg

Haunt of Fear 5

back5.jpg

These fall a bit short of my threshold for ECs, but I agree, they should move if sold here, and for more than the $13 or so you paid.

It's hard to tell from the photos, cuz they're small, but is the water damage making the comics wavy? Or is it just the staining? And I think it's been asked before, but is the water damage causing brittle pages? If both answers are no, they seem like decent comics to me.

Just seeing a small hoard of ECs must be pretty exciting. I've amassed maybe 30 over the past couple years, and the reasonably fat pile makes me smile.

I'm only a collector and don't deal in comics so I don't know as much as most of the guys on this board but it looks like you got a good deal to me. I actually purchased an EC at a show not that long ago that smells musty and has a completely split cover but looks good in plastic like these seem to. I think I happily paid about $25 because it was a harder to get issue and I knew other lower grade copies that I could find to fill the whole with would likely present a lot worse. Think I'd be happy to double your money on a couple of these when your ready to sell....

These fall a bit short of my threshold for ECs, but I agree, they should move if sold here, and for more than the $13 or so you paid.

It's hard to tell from the photos, cuz they're small, but is the water damage making the comics wavy? Or is it just the staining? And I think it's been asked before, but is the water damage causing brittle pages? If both answers are no, they seem like decent comics to me.

Just seeing a small hoard of ECs must be pretty exciting. I've amassed maybe 30 over the past couple years, and the reasonably fat pile makes me smile.

+1

I recently filled my first short box of EC slabs. I love dragging that thing out of the closet and seeing them lined up all pretty :cloud9:

+1

I recently filled my first short box of EC slabs. I love dragging that thing out of the closet and seeing them lined up all pretty :cloud9:

Word! I cracked out all my slabbed ones (I think I might have one left), and dropped them in Mylite2s 'n' Full Backs.

+1

Word! I cracked out all my slabbed ones (I think I might have one left), and dropped them in Mylite2s 'n' Full Backs.

Also a great way to go (thumbs u

Sorry all...busy day :) I appreciate all the advice and well wishes :foryou:

Let's see some questions about the books...

A few are wavy-gravy...but by and large they lay flat (thumbs u In fact, tape is more common than wavy books in my estimation

Several have significant tears, a good number have some degree of spine split with a couple being totally split. However, there really is not brittleness that I noticed. I have gone through 60 of them now (bought batch #2 today). In each case you could see wear, tear, and water damage...but I cannot recall a piece falling off a single book, and the work area did not have paper pieces when I was done :acclaim:

And to the posters on the joy of low grade EC, I can totally see it now...definitely fun books that have really made the past few days a joy :) I was working on a run of Shock SuspenStories (thanks to Kenny/Z-Man for that one :ohnoez: ) but the horror books are just fantastic!

So incoming pics on today's haul...same deal as last time ($400 for a stack of 30 books)...nothing new turned up in the last few days, so this may be the last of the old EC Horror/Suspense books....probably about 30 left in the War genre and post comic-code areas (but who knows what the next couple weeks holds :wishluck: )

Comments of course are welcome (thumbs u From a books in hand point of view...these are a bit lower grade-wise on average. However, a few real early EC horror books evens it out I think :juggle:

ec21.jpg

ec22.jpg

ec23.jpg