• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Tales of Suspense #59?

7 posts in this topic

Is Tales of Suspense #59 considered a silver age key issue?

I thank you in advance for your help. I am compiling a list of key issues and was wondering if this title should be included?

I would say it is a key book, though not in the same class as # 39.

Both issues 58 and 59 rate a single line in the OPG. While that in itself is not enough to grant the book key status it is not a bad start. Issue 59 does feature the first solo S. A. story of Captain America. His first S.A. appearance was in Avengers issue # 4, that predated his appearance in TOS #59 by 7 months.

TOS_59.jpg

These things are subjective, but I consider TOS 59 a key. Cap getting his own series, particularly a series drawn by the man who redefined superhero comics when he was first pencilling Cap, means something to me.

I'd love to snag a better copy someday.

Thank you so much guys. Can anyone list the keys in this series or is it just a few outside of TOS 39?

I appreciate all your help!

Maybe this will help:

In TOS series as of #39:

39 - Origin/1st Iron Man

40 - 1st golden armour (Just the original grey armour spray-painted gold)

45 - 1st Pepper Potts & Happy Hogan

46 - 1st Crimson Dynamo

47 - 1st Melter

48 - New armour

49 - First X-men cross-over appearance

50 - 1st Mandarin

52 - 1st Black Widow

53 - Origin the Watcher

57 - Origin/1st Hawkeye

58 - 1st Captain America appearance in TOS series

59 - 1st SA Cap solo story; Cap series begins

62 - Origin Mandarin

63 - 1st SA origin Cap

65 - 1st SA app Red Skull

66 - Origin Red Skull

69 - 1st Titanium Man

79 - 1st Cosmic Cube

97 - 1st Whiplash

Well, that's all I can think of for now. If I'm missing anything, please feel free to add them in!

Is Tales of Suspense #59 considered a silver age key issue?

I thank you in advance for your help. I am compiling a list of key issues and was wondering if this title should be included?

I would say it is a key book, though not in the same class as # 39.

Both issues 58 and 59 rate a single line in the OPG. While that in itself is not enough to grant the book key status it is not a bad start. Issue 59 does feature the first solo S. A. story of Captain America. His first S.A. appearance was in Avengers issue # 4, that predated his appearance in TOS #59 by 7 months.

TOS_59.jpg

Also considered a "classic cover". It is a "key" issue in the TOS run.