• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Aquaman #1?

47 posts in this topic

Don't see why you'd go after a non-first appearance first issue of a 3rd-tier character (Aquaman, The Atom), compared to other options.

Like Brave & Bold 54 or even Silver Age Batman villain keys like Lois Lane 70, Batman 171, 181, or 189. Not saying these are comparable, money-wise; I just think they all have greater long-term demand potential than Aquaman 1.

Hello Gatsy,

First, let me address you on one main point. You stated on another forum that I am 'an antiques guy' and this is why I have a 'disdain' of things post 1980. Just to set the record straight, I am a part time 'picker' (along with having a full time career) and most of the items I deal in are from 1970 and up (80% or more). I wanted to get that out of the way so you have a better understanding of my perspective. I also do NOT have a 'disdain' for any collectible! Most are just over-valued right now. That being said, that would be a discussion for another day.

To address your question directly, the books you mentioned are key books with a lot of potential. The problem I have with them is that compared to 'Aquaman #1' or some of the lesser known Marvel semi-keys; these books already show very generous 'spikes' in price over the last few years. This is why I do not consider them 'good' buys at present time. You are welcome to disagree.

I believe Warren Buffet said it best; 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get."

Sincerely,

'mint'

Fair point. My beef with you a few months back was your statement that the "Rule of 25" didn't exist. It may not in your primary areas of expertise, but has and does in the field of comic books.

I'd argue--based on many of the posts already made in this thread--that Aquaman 1 is in no way under-valued, whereas the other books I listed--while they may have seen increases in recent years, still have room for growth.

See this thread on undervalued Silver/Bronze books. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5307794&fpart=1

Note that Brave & Bold 54 and Lois Lane 70 are mentioned (by folks other than me); Aquaman 1 is not.

Lois Lane 70 has actually decreased in CGC 9.6 over the past two years, mainly due to more copies appearing on the census. It's also common as dirt in 4.0, but I believe it's still a bargain in 7.0-9.2, if you can find it.

Ultimately, demand drives sales velocity and thus liquidity. And (eventually) price increases.

I'd wager that B&B 54, Lois Lane 70 and Bats 171, 181, and 189 would all sell faster at a show than Aquaman # 1. Now, a year from now and five years from now.

Don't see why you'd go after a non-first appearance first issue of a 3rd-tier character (Aquaman, The Atom), compared to other options.

Like Brave & Bold 54 or even Silver Age Batman villain keys like Lois Lane 70, Batman 171, 181, or 189. Not saying these are comparable, money-wise; I just think they all have greater long-term demand potential than Aquaman 1.

Hello Gatsy,

First, let me address you on one main point. You stated on another forum that I am 'an antiques guy' and this is why I have a 'disdain' of things post 1980. Just to set the record straight, I am a part time 'picker' (along with having a full time career) and most of the items I deal in are from 1970 and up (80% or more). I wanted to get that out of the way so you have a better understanding of my perspective. I also do NOT have a 'disdain' for any collectible! Most are just over-valued right now. That being said, that would be a discussion for another day.

To address your question directly, the books you mentioned are key books with a lot of potential. The problem I have with them is that compared to 'Aquaman #1' or some of the lesser known Marvel semi-keys; these books already show very generous 'spikes' in price over the last few years. This is why I do not consider them 'good' buys at present time. You are welcome to disagree.

I believe Warren Buffet said it best; 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get."

Sincerely,

'mint'

Fair point. My beef with you a few months back was your statement that the "Rule of 25" didn't exist. It may not in your primary areas of expertise, but has and does in the field of comic books.

I'd argue--based on many of the posts already made in this thread--that Aquaman 1 is in no way under-valued, whereas the other books I listed--while they may have seen increases in recent years, still have room for growth.

See this thread on undervalued Silver/Bronze books. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5307794&fpart=1

Note that Brave & Bold 54 and Lois Lane 70 are mentioned (by folks other than me); Aquaman 1 is not.

Lois Lane 70 has actually decreased in CGC 9.6 over the past two years, mainly due to more copies appearing on the census. It's also common as dirt in 4.0, but I believe it's still a bargain in 7.0-9.2, if you can find it.

Ultimately, demand drives sales velocity and thus liquidity. And (eventually) price increases.

I'd wager that B&B 54, Lois Lane 70 and Bats 171, 181, and 189 would all sell faster at a show than Aquaman # 1. Now, a year from now and five years from now.

No harm, no foul. Just ask me directly please, if you have a question about what I buy, sell, or do. A simple PM solves a lot of issues. That being said, all is forgiven.

You have heard of the 'Rule of 25' before; on these boards. It is frequently touted by some fellow forum members to my knowledge. That being said, and I stand by this; no one I talk to outside of the internet in which I know; has heard it in the method you are referring to. In finance we use it as another term; but that is something else entirely. I should also note that I speak to a LOT of auction house analysts, representatives, and other dealers (outside of comic books). I am sure it exists, but it is not a term that is used in the main stream collecting lexicon.Most people in the business do however note that once true collectors get of age (i.e. 35 and above); they will attempt to buy things that helped 'forge' their childhood. This is generally agreed upon. So in a sense, you are correct. Will the term the 'rule of 25' ever be widely used? I don't know. I have read a TON of books on collecting (etc.); and I have yet to see it used commonly in print.

As for Aquaman #1; I look for issues that have yet to show upward price movement on the demand (and/or price) scale. While as a collector I love all the key and semi key issues (as most do); what I buy for other purposes is generally outside the 'norm'. In further analysis, I will occassionally ask about an item on these boards for my own knowledge and not for the true pursuit of owning it. Of course, I would be lying if I said I didn't consider buying it in 9.0 or above. It is very affordable in the 9.0-9.2 range. What will happen with the book in the coming years in anyone's guess, as for all I know DC could already be working on a project that will thrust the character into the 'mainstream.' Do I see that happening soon? Absolutely not.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Yes, but keep in mind that demand is fickle because the forces that shape demand change over time. Tastes change, etc.

Supply though is not typically fickle. After all, the comics either exist somewhere, or they don't.

:preach:

Yes, but keep in mind that demand is fickle because the forces that shape demand change over time. Tastes change, etc.

Supply, is not typically fickle. After all, the comics exist somewhere, or they don't.

Demand in this day and age is heavily influenced by internet conversation and chatter. Even an off the cuff comment can become viral and affect people's perceptions.

Supply, is not typically fickle. After all, the comics exist somewhere, or they don't.

Demand in this day and age is heavily influenced by internet conversation and chatter. Even an off the cuff comment can become viral and affect people's perceptions.

I would agree completely with this statement. Even in the financial markets, where those on the 'outside' are desperate to want 'inside' information; people can be fooled into believing anything they are made to believe. This has been a serious problem over the years as some unscrupulous individuals have attempted to profit in the stock market by spreading false rumors about a particular stock or company. Any market (financial or other wise) is prone to this kind of manipulation and collectibles are no different.

I thank you for pointing out this often overlooked perspective; as it should be noted.