• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing Question

9 posts in this topic

I sent in a book to be graded (Giant Sized X-Men #1) and it was presumed by the lcs guy to get a grade of 7.0 and it actually recieved a 4.5 (Gemma emailed me the grade). He placed a FMV on the book of $700 (which of course is not the value of a 4.5 copy) and gave an initial cost of $54.10 to get it grade.

My question is: Since it did not recieve the 7.0 grade, should I be expected to pay the $54.10 or should it be less?? confused.gif

I'm assuming that you want to return the book?

That's a pretty big gap in grades, especially for a seasoned LCS. How long have they been in business?

It boils down to whatever arrangements you've arrived with the dealer. I personally think that big of a gap should result in FULL refund--if it were .5 or even 1 points off I'd say you eat the certification costs or receive partial refund.

I for instance, bought a RAW book that I'm getting certified. I definitely overpaid, and the seller has agreed to refund full costs. The general consensus, however, is that the buyer receiving the certification is eating the costs.

I'm assuming that you want to return the book?

That's a pretty big gap in grades, especially for a seasoned LCS. How long have they been in business?

It boils down to whatever arrangements you've arrived with the dealer. I personally think that big of a gap should result in FULL refund--if it were .5 or even 1 points off I'd say you eat the certification costs or receive partial refund.

I for instance, bought a RAW book that I'm getting certified. I definitely overpaid, and the seller has agreed to refund full costs. The general consensus, however, is that the buyer receiving the certification is eating the costs.

I didnt buy the book from the dealer, I brought it to him so he could send it in to CGC (stupid, I know...see my sig line). He looked it over and said it would be graded 7.0 and put that on my invoice.

I think you should forget about it. The difference in insurance between FMV of a 4.5 or a 7.0 is negligable, just a couple bucks. However, it appears that you paid for Standard grading at $49 rather than Economy which you could have used for this 4.5 1975 book which costs only $29. However, it would take several months longer to get graded that way. Certainly a 4.5 is worth less than $250 and Economy grading would have suited you better if you did not mind the four month wait. -----Sid

I just wanted to add. It was YOUR book and you should have told the LCS guy what grade YOU believed it to be and then assesed it's FMV on your own. In this case I think the LCS guy is in the clear. He just gave his opinion and did you a favor. Can't hold him responsible for that, he's just an overgrader or at least did not take a close enough look at the book to evaluate it correctly. You should have done this yourself and brought it to him with that information to begin with. ----Sid

I didnt buy the book from the dealer, I brought it to him so he could send it in to CGC (stupid, I know...see my sig line). He looked it over and said it would be graded 7.0 and put that on my invoice.

OK, sorry about that--I remember now. Forget about a refund--he just gave you an estimate of the grade--why should he be held liable for that? It's not like either of you exchanged anything of value--he was just giving his personal opinion... confused-smiley-013.gif

You ultimately made the decision to CGC the book at the desired tier. If, however, you were paying him for his grading expertise, he could be on the hook--not here though.

What am I missing?

OK, sorry about that--I remember now. Forget about a refund--he just gave you an estimate of the grade--why should he be held liable for that? It's not like either of you exchanged anything of value--he was just giving his personal opinion... confused-smiley-013.gif

You ultimately made the decision to CGC the book at the desired tier. If, however, you were paying him for his grading expertise, he could be on the hook--not here though.

What am I missing?

Im not looking for a refund...I just wasnt clear if the grade had anything to do with the price that is paid for it to be graded (ie. if the book came back less than what it was suspected it would come back as). The way the lcs guy acted, it did and I wasnt clear on this point. This was my first time submitting and before I lay down my hard earned money, I wanted to make sure I wasnt overpaying!

Lesson learnt - learn how to grade and be confident when you assess a comics' condition. At the end of the day, a second opinion is all very well, but it's what you think that counts. If you're planning on CGCing any more books, study first.