• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really Hard to Get Sigs

144 posts in this topic

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I can't find it. If it has then just point me in that direction. Anyway, my focus this year is collecting unique and hard-to-find CGC SSs. What are some of the creators I should target? I know that Alan Moore, David Mazuchelli, John Tottleben and Frank Miller can be tough. Michael Turner goes for a pretty penny for obvious reasons. I think I saw somewhere that Sam Kieth is somewhat difficult. Who else?

Sam Keith did 50 private and said he's no interest in doing moore.

Lan Moore did 37 from a UK shop signing.

Mazzuchelli and BWS said no more.

Totleben no shows but did one private.

Stephen King did 13

Bissette did 37 private, no shows.

Frank Thorne did 40 or so once w/ no interest in more.

Harlan Ellison did 50 once w/ no interest in moore. Retired.

I hear Stan Lee is super tough.

Sam Keith did 50 private and said he's no interest in doing moore.

Lan Moore did 37 from a UK shop signing.

Mazzuchelli and BWS said no more.

Totleben no shows but did one private.

Stephen King did 13

Bissette did 37 private, no shows.

Frank Thorne did 40 or so once w/ no interest in more.

Harlan Ellison did 50 once w/ no interest in moore. Retired.

I hear Stan Lee is super tough.

I did not know that about BWS and Bissette. I love their work. And that Stan Lee is impossible to find, I know. Run a search on eBay and there's NOTHING.

SS Frank Miller books are not rare, but he is very tough. He only attends a couple of shows each year and usually will only sign one book per person.

Steve Ditko = impossible and none exsist

John Byrne = I don't know how many exsist (probably under 100), and he no longer attends cons.

Robert Crumb under 10 exsist and likely there will be no more signings.

Jim Lee is actually becoming more and more difficult at shows. There are plenty of books out there, but it's a good idea to have one or two in your collection.

Many of the artists from the golden-silver-bronze age have stopped going to shows: Jack Davis, Al Feldstein (though he will be at the Boston Con), Don Perlin, Nick Cardy, ect.... SS books are out there, but they are starting to get pricey for these folks.

Stephen King, Alan Moore, Mike Judge, and Sam Keith books are a can't miss.

Celeb books are always nice adds to a collection. Doesn't matter who they are, they are tough and costly to obtain.

I also think cast signed and multi-signed books are a great investment. With CGC's new rules, it's now costly and very time consuming. It's best to just buy those books and not take the time and effort to put them together. A good example are the Walking Dead cast signed books. They are quite limited and extremely hot right now.

SS Frank Miller books are not rare, but he is very tough. He only attends a couple of shows each year and usually will only sign one book per person.

John Byrne = I don't know how many exsist (probably under 100), and he no longer attends cons.

Jim Lee is actually becoming more and more difficult at shows. There are plenty of books out there, but it's a good idea to have one or two in your collection.

Many of the artists from the golden-silver-bronze age have stopped going to shows: Jack Davis, Al Feldstein (though he will be at the Boston Con), Don Perlin, Nick Cardy, ect.... SS books are out there, but they are starting to get pricey for these folks.

Celeb books are always nice adds to a collection. Doesn't matter who they are, they are tough and costly to obtain.

I also think cast signed and multi-signed books are a great investment. With CGC's new rules, it's now costly and very time consuming. It's best to just buy those books and not take the time and effort to put them together. A good example are the Walking Dead cast signed books. They are quite limited and extremely hot right now.

What are the new CGC rules?

I think the rule he is referring to is that you can no longer carry a book over from show to show; rather, you need to get it signed, sub it at that show, and then crack, sign, and re-sub at the next show.

I think the rule he is referring to is that you can no longer carry a book over from show to show; rather, you need to get it signed, sub it at that show, and then crack, sign, and re-sub at the next show.

And don't forget the $5 fee per additional signature if you're getting more than one person to sign even at the same show. Although this may be waived if the people signing are at the same table.

Bingo! Plus there is an extra charge per sig at large shows like the San Diego Comic Con and NYCC.

And don't forget the $5 fee per additional signature if you're getting more than one person to sign even at the same show. Although this may be waived if the people signing are at the same table.

Right on Tim! These two rule changes have to have increased the value on books with a large number of signatures on them. Quite frankly as amazing as cast signed (& multi-creator signed) books are, it's getting too expensive and time consuming to put them together. That being said, they are a good investment if you can buy the books already SS'ed.

You guys have hit most of the tough creators. Jack Davis did a small private signing. Frazetta is probably less than 200 I would think. There are a number of folks that had relatively small numbers of SS done before they passed away.

There are some really interesting non-comic creator SS books out there. My two favorite from my collection are Richard Matheson and Michael Moorcock.

Moorcock.

hm

Naw, too easy.

I've used up my Moorcock joke quota for the first quarter anyway.