• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really Hard to Get Sigs

144 posts in this topic

I think you have one of the best collections out their Sean. You were in the game early enough to get some of the rarest sigs. I had some opportunities that I should have taken full advantage of and didn't at the time.

I am flattered, Andrew. I love my collection and work very hard at it. But it pales to many of the real early guys, and also guys like Cos and Kris Moore who tracked down the toughest of the tough for years before I was even involved, and a big number of guys that fly beneath the radar.

The one thing I can say about my collection is that if I really like a guys work, I never stop getting stuff done.

My one piece of advice to all the new guys is Don't hesitate to get your favorites, because you never know when they will be taken from us.

I think you have one of the best collections out their Sean. You were in the game early enough to get some of the rarest sigs. I had some opportunities that I should have taken full advantage of and didn't at the time.

I am flattered, Andrew. I love my collection and work very hard at it. But it pales to many of the real early guys, and also guys like Cos and Kris Moore who tracked down the toughest of the tough for years before I was even involved, and a big number of guys that fly beneath the radar.

The one thing I can say about my collection is that if I really like a guys work, I never stop getting stuff done.

My one piece of advice to all the new guys is Don't hesitate to get your favorites, because you never know when they will be taken from us.

The problem for new guys is obtaining sig books from those that are deceased. I have no desire to sell my Frazetta, Colan or Joe Simon books. I have a feeling many other collectors feel the same way.

The problem for new guys is obtaining sig books from those that are deceased. I have no desire to sell my Frazetta, Colan or Joe Simon books. I have a feeling many other collectors feel the same way.

I agree totally. I like to have extras of great creators for trade or sale later. But I have found that after they have passed, it doesn't matter how many I have, I don't want to get rid of them. Also, of the three that you named above, all three were virtually impossible to get through the normal channels and pretty much had to be gotten through private opps. So that means that it was hard (read expensive) to get a bunch extra done for trade bait.

Folks new to the SS hobby need to remember that anything is possible if you are patient and are willing to throw enough money at it. By all means, go after who you like first (chances are everyone else likes them anyway). When opportunities come around to buy that book that really speaks to you....GET IT!!! In the world of SS collectiong a second opportunity may never come around.

You guys are so right about selling a book signed by a deceased creator. For some reason it just doesn't feel right. I mean we all have an emotional attachment to our books as it is. But when one realizes that you can never get a book signed by that creator again, it just makes it tough to part with the ones you have.

Folks new to the SS hobby need to remember that anything is possible if you are patient and are willing to throw enough money at it. By all means, go after who you like first (chances are everyone else likes them anyway). When opportunities come around to buy that book that really speaks to you....GET IT!!! In the world of SS collectiong a second opportunity may never come around.

You guys are so right about selling a book signed by a deceased creator. For some reason it just doesn't feel right. I mean we all have an emotional attachment to our books as it is. But when one realizes that you can never get a book signed by that creator again, it just makes it tough to part with the ones you have.

No kidding.

I received a Wolverine #24 CGC 9.6 as a b-day gift from Worldbestcomics a year ago.

It was signed by Peter David,Jim Lee,and Gene Colan.

It's my first Colan signed book I own.

I never wanted to sell it because it was a gift,but now with him passing away I don't think I'll ever sell it no matter what 2c

Sean, what has been the hardest SS book for you to acquire? I'm still stunned by some of the books you have.

:popcorn:

I'm anxious to see what Sean says, but I can tell you that Robert Crumb has been by far the most difficult to acquire (excluding any one of a kind book) for myself. I had one offered a while back and did not pull the trigger. Now I regret it, I believe only six were done.

Sean, what has been the hardest SS book for you to acquire? I'm still stunned by some of the books you have.

The hardest books for me to acquire are the ones that came into being before I was in the Program. Couple that with fewer books being done for some creators and there are still some grails out there for me. Aparo, Marshall Rogers, John Byrne (I did pick some up in the aftermarket, but there are several I am still hunting down) Luis Domingues.

There are a number of celebs that I am dying for - Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury, I need a WD cast signed book. Plus there are some books that are just shockingly amazing. A couple I won't mention, because I don't need the competition - but one I will mention is AlexH's Will Eisner.

I have been very fortunate since I have been active in the program and am so thankful to everyone involved, especially the formers who helped me cut my teeth. (Even when they laughed at me for sending some "not so minty" books to be signed.)

I'm anxious to see what Sean says, but I can tell you that Robert Crumb has been by far the most difficult to acquire (excluding any one of a kind book) for myself. I had one offered a while back and did not pull the trigger. Now I regret it, I believe only six were done.

I didn't even realize there are Crumb SS. :o

Was this a private signing or at a convention?

I was just talking to someone about Harryhausen. He was so easy to get prior to 2007. He was at every San Diego Comic-Con and usually had several signings. To date only ONE SS Harryhausen book exsists. I kick myself every day for not taking the time to get one done. Now that he lives in Europe, who knows if another opportunity will come around.

I didn't even realize there are Crumb SS. :o

Was this a private signing or at a convention?

\

It was a Kris Moore joint. Mine is signed by Crumb and signed and sketched by Art Spiegelman. Two of the most important comic artists on the same book. :cloud9: I don't have a pic in my photobucket because it has been analyzed, reviewed, regraded and reslabbed in the last year.

I was just talking to someone about Harryhausen. He was so easy to get prior to 2007. He was at every San Diego Comic-Con and usually had several signings. To date only ONE SS Harryhausen book exsists. I kick myself every day for not taking the time to get one done. Now that he lives in Europe, who knows if another opportunity will come around.

I sent a book for him in 2008 and 2009. I don't even bother anymore. :cry:

This thread has brought to light a lot of interesting stuff. I had no idea how elusive some of these creators were. I grabbed a Joe Simon off a boardie recently for quite a cheap price and I'm really happy I did. I assumed his sig was relatively easy to get (pre-December 2011) because they show up fairly often but I'm wondering now if they are so available right now because he recently passed.

A Bradbury SS book is another amazing item to have in your collection. Again, prior to say 2008 he was fairly accessable, but now....forget it. With his age and the large number of fans wanting his signature, he no longer has signings. I was lucky to pick up a few that became available on Ebay in November and December. They are among my favs in my SS collection.

I sent a book for him in 2008 and 2009. I don't even bother anymore. :cry:

I feel your pain brother!