• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Wolverine" Gets Official Release Date

75 posts in this topic

His healing factor wasn't taken to the nigh-godlike realm now, and he could actually get hurt and need some recuperation time from bad injuries, which helped the reader invest in the character's well-being. If his healing factor lets him regenerate from a single cell or whatever stupid nonsense they're pushing nowadays, there's no sense of danger and his appeal drops down to the early teen fanboy stage of reading

Yeah, when did that happen? I remember in Fall of the Mutants, one of the opening panels has him suffering from his wounds, and it used to be that he wasn't at 100% for awhile. I also liked that aspect as well. Even in 75 they addressed the fact that his healing factor took a huge hit from his injuries.

This whole get-shot-with-a-bullet-and-be-healed-five-seconds-later is kinda lame. Was there some event that changed his healing factor?

I swear on all things holy, if they screw up the beloved limited series story...

Unfortunately, that limited series started the character down the path of ruination :(

You might be the only one who thinks that. Wolverine was pretty one-dimensional before that limited series. Bryne helped flesh out some details during his Uncanny run, but it wasn't until the limited series that he actually developed an interesting backstory to bolster his personality.

Have you read GSX1 through Uncanny 130? He acts like Fonzie with claws.

I disagree. Back in the day, they wanted you to think that Wolvie was only one dimensional, but they let out little tidbits every once in a while. The one that hit me when I was a little kid was when he tells Ororo that he was going out hunting (I think deer). She is mortified and asks how he could kill Bambi. He says " I said huntin' didn't say anything about killing."

That really stuck with me, that he had a code of honor under there. I do think appending the bushido warrior backstory on Wolverine was cool, but Fonzie with claws, I'm not buying.

X-Men 109.

That's the book that did it for me too. Love that book.

Also I love everything that BWS did with that character later on.

His healing factor wasn't taken to the nigh-godlike realm now, and he could actually get hurt and need some recuperation time from bad injuries, which helped the reader invest in the character's well-being. If his healing factor lets him regenerate from a single cell or whatever stupid nonsense they're pushing nowadays, there's no sense of danger and his appeal drops down to the early teen fanboy stage of reading

Yeah, when did that happen? I remember in Fall of the Mutants, one of the opening panels has him suffering from his wounds, and it used to be that he wasn't at 100% for awhile. I also liked that aspect as well. Even in 75 they addressed the fact that his healing factor took a huge hit from his injuries.

This whole get-shot-with-a-bullet-and-be-healed-five-seconds-later is kinda lame. Was there some event that changed his healing factor?

I think it was when he got his adamantium ripped out..

After his healing factor went into overdrive to keep him alive it never calmed down again

I swear on all things holy, if they screw up the beloved limited series story...

Unfortunately, that limited series started the character down the path of ruination :(

You might be the only one who thinks that. Wolverine was pretty one-dimensional before that limited series. Bryne helped flesh out some details during his Uncanny run, but it wasn't until the limited series that he actually developed an interesting backstory to bolster his personality.

I disagree. Back in the day, they wanted you to think that Wolvie was only one dimensional, but they let out little tidbits every once in a while. The one that hit me when I was a little kid was when he tells Ororo that he was going out hunting (I think deer). She is mortified and asks how he could kill Bambi. He says " I said huntin' didn't say anything about killing."

That really stuck with me, that he had a code of honor under there. I do think appending the bushido warrior backstory on Wolverine was cool, but Fonzie with claws, I'm not buying.

X-Men 109.

Yeah, Wolvie was great when Byrne was helping flesh his character out, because Byrne actually cared about how he was being portrayed and wanted him to be this half-crazy, half-military badassmofo who might just flip and shish kebab somebody who looked at him wrong.

It didn't hurt that his powers were more human scaled and imperfect, and his shadowy backstory gave him dimension. His healing factor wasn't taken to the nigh-godlike realm now, and he could actually get hurt and need some recuperation time from bad injuries, which helped the reader invest in the character's well-being. If his healing factor lets him regenerate from a single cell or whatever stupid nonsense they're pushing nowadays, there's no sense of danger and his appeal drops down to the early teen fanboy stage of reading

109 was one of the first issues that made me like him. Also 107 and 108 gave a glimpse of what he could be like. After these issues it was a awhile before Byrne/Claremont really got cooking with him.

I loved the limited series. It showed me a side I never even considered at the time. It gave him depth.

Agreed. The collest thing about the character was the mystery..the not knowing. Getting the little bits and pieces, but never being able to put the entire picture together. Once that mini came out, followed by all the other barnacles, the character lost his edge IMHO.

As an aside...I liked some of the stories that helped ruin the character. BWS on Weapon X was very interesting with excellent art. I just wish it had never been done :insane:

The Limited Series and Weapon X ruined the Wolverine character? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I do believe I'm being trolled.

I never said those two series ruined the character, but they certainly helped start him down the path. Like I said before, we'll agree to disagree. Debating this is too much like debating over how Claremont ruined Magneto...man I miss those characters :(

How about a Japanese actress play a Japanese woman?

I would totally accept Kyoko Fukada as Yukio. She looks totally sweet and innocent in GIS, but in Yatterman, she was unbelievably hot.

Kyoko%2BFukada%2B%2B8.jpg

Like I said before, we'll agree to disagree. Debating this is too much like debating over how Claremont ruined Magneto...man I miss those characters :(

I accept our stalemate. (thumbs u