• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just had to report a buyer for harassment

70 posts in this topic

I've been a member since Apr-21-99 and I quit really selling once sellers could leave nothing but positive feedback. That's just stupid. It's also the reason I have refused to have a kudos thread in the Selling Forum. What good is hearing only the only the positive? If someone sucks, people have a right to know about it before they do business with them.
I don't bother with the Kudos forum either. If someone is an established seller on here they will have a reputation as a good seller or end up on the probie list. New members will always be risky to buy from no matter how well their kudos thread goes. I leave kudos when a seller asks me to but I don't bother with starting one for myself.

Hate to say it, but that neg is permanent.

Why is that?

Because unless the OP left something out in his retelling, the buyer was justified in leaving a neg, and eBay won't rescind it.

But why was he justified? I clearly state my terms in the auction, I gave him twice the amount of time I required, sending a reminder along the way, and then notified him the item was gone nearly a week before he sent payment. I was polite through the entire e-mail exchange where he threatened and harassed me as well. I agree eBay might side with him but I do not agree that the neg was justified in any way.

I had a bad issue a few years ago with buyer harassment. Sold some NY Rangers memorabilia and the fella won the auction for $50 . Auction was Paypal only. He then says wants my mailing address and he will send a check. I said Paypal only and he then says OK but I want your address. I told him no way and either Pay or not. I then realize that he lives 10 minutes from me. I then change my Address and phone number on Ebay . I was correct to do that. He soon after request my contact info. I guess he tried to call me and got a wrong number. He emails me that he wants the item and please give me my phone number and address and he will pay by paypal. I said leave me alone and I was not selling to him. He calls Ebay and gets me suspended for having a false phone number. I called ebay and explained the situation. They agree hes a nut and re-instated me. I then get payment from him. I take his stuff to a UPS store miles from my house and use the UPS store address as the return address. He gets the package and then emails me that one item is missing (it was not) . He wants my phone number to discuss it and my address just incase he wants to return. I just completly ignore him and he finally goes away. No negative but a very scary experience as I dont know what his intentions were.

I kind of stopped selling after that.

That is way scary. Good think your instincts kicked in. Hopefully he got suspensed from ebay. It is something that scares me but I run the risk every time one of my neighbors sees a white box getting loaded into my apartment.

Yeah if eBay sides with him it's fine I guess. I think I'm about ready to quit selling there altogether. Been a member since 2003 and have sold under 40 times. Too many of them have been a hassle for my taste.

Look at it from a buyer's viewpoint. He wins an auction and pays within a week

only to find out the seller moved on. I believe ebay allows a buyer a week to

pay for a win no matter what the seller expects.

If the buyer was a board member I could easily see a thread about him winning

an ebay auction, paying within a week and flipping out because the seller

moved on, after repeatedly harrassing him for payment.

The buyer may not be on-line everyday or he may have been on a trip or

busy at work or a hundred other 'life got in the way' situations.

I'm not giving you a hard time and I understand ebay is a pain in the buttock

but your payment in 2 days policy is gonna lead to more negs.

Yeah if eBay sides with him it's fine I guess. I think I'm about ready to quit selling there altogether. Been a member since 2003 and have sold under 40 times. Too many of them have been a hassle for my taste.

This is why I clearly state in my auction description what my payment expectations are. You can't miss it. All it would have taken was an e-mail response. If he knew he was going to be away from the internet for over a week when he placed the snipe bid he could have sent me a message saying "Hey, I'm heading out, I'll be back next week, but I fully intend on paying if I win." That would have been fine. If a board member had complained about this happening to him from the buyers perspective and he linked to an auction where 50% of the two sentence item description is "Pay up in X amount of hours" and he admitted he didn't even respond for a week I don't think the masses would side with him. They might say "Who would you have bid on an auction with such a short description and such demanding payment policies?" but if he had bid fully intending in not complying with them I don't see how anyone could side with that.

eBay allows a buyer to take as long as possible to pay until you file a Non-Paying Bidder complaint, wait four days for the insufficiently_thoughtful_person to not respond or pay and then you close the NPB to get refunded eBay fees.

If at any point before you do this you decide you want to back out of the deal with a buyer no matter what your terms state eBay will rule against you. eBay sucks bigtime because of this. I am currently dealing with 2 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who bought comics from me almost 2 weeks ago and keep telling me daily they are on their way to the bank to deposit funds to cover a payment and nothing. I opened NPB complaints on each of them 2 days ago and will be closing them right away once 4 days pass if they don't pay.

Sucks because they were books I didn't want at all anymore and have had for sale for a couple months too so I gave them more time to pay then I normally would.

This is why I clearly state in my auction description what my payment expectations are. You can't miss it. All it would have taken was an e-mail response. If he knew he was going to be away from the internet for over a week when he placed the snipe bid he could have sent me a message saying "Hey, I'm heading out, I'll be back next week, but I fully intend on paying if I win." That would have been fine.

I state in my auctions three days, but never expect payment to actually occur within the first week and I'm generally not disappointed (shrug)

Do you have a link to your listing you could share? I wonder if there is a chance that someone could miss the time req's? I know it may be me, but aside from the scans and a quick look through the description for condition...I tend to skip reading most of a sellers description.

Hate to say it, but that neg is permanent.

You know what don't worry about, it after 6 months and a few transactions it will disappear, rating will be back where it should. I sent notices to a guy which were ignored for 2 weeks and then I found out that at the same time the guy was late on other EBay transactions with board members including one that was pushing 30 days. As soon as I heard that I filed to have the transaction cancelled as I decided I wasn't going to deal with the person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed anymore. He quickly paid, I refunded it right away as I had no intention of doing business with the guy. He negged me but so be it.

Yeah I'm not terribly worried about this particular feedback. It's just a sign of what eBay has become. I have been on that site for nearly a decade with perfect feedback, and some deadbeat who has been a member less than 18 months can screw it all up. When he does it enough times he'll be kicked off, but not even an IP ban. He'll be back at it with a new account in minutes. Tinypic IP banned me for an MSPaint drawing I did but if I commit fraud on eBay all I have to do is create a new e-mail to register with.

This is why I clearly state in my auction description what my payment expectations are. You can't miss it. All it would have taken was an e-mail response. If he knew he was going to be away from the internet for over a week when he placed the snipe bid he could have sent me a message saying "Hey, I'm heading out, I'll be back next week, but I fully intend on paying if I win." That would have been fine.

I state in my auctions three days, but never expect payment to actually occur within the first week and I'm generally not disappointed (shrug)

Do you have a link to your listing you could share? I wonder if there is a chance that someone could miss the time req's? I know it may be me, but aside from the scans and a quick look through the description for condition...I tend to skip reading most of a sellers description.

I know my payment expectations are demanding, but they are clearly stated in every auction. If not for the level of deadbeats I would gladly wait up to a month, like I used to. Waiting longer has never resulted in me getting paid though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290662194009

This is why I clearly state in my auction description what my payment expectations are. You can't miss it. All it would have taken was an e-mail response. If he knew he was going to be away from the internet for over a week when he placed the snipe bid he could have sent me a message saying "Hey, I'm heading out, I'll be back next week, but I fully intend on paying if I win." That would have been fine. If a board member had complained about this happening to him from the buyers perspective and he linked to an auction where 50% of the two sentence item description is "Pay up in X amount of hours" and he admitted he didn't even respond for a week I don't think the masses would side with him. They might say "Who would you have bid on an auction with such a short description and such demanding payment policies?" but if he had bid fully intending in not complying with them I don't see how anyone could side with that.

That all makes sense but you both have to follow ebay standards. He did and

you didn't. I don't like ebay but I do understand that they are trying to get

sellers to follow set selling rules and I'm sure they will side with a buyer who

pays within a week of winning an auction every time.

Well I'll agree there. That's why I don't think the neg will be removed. Regardless of eBay's standards I still think I'm in the right though. But he did harass me in PM so I hope he gets some kind of fallback from that. By the way, he didn't simply pay within a week. He paid four days after a case had been opened and four days after he had been notified the item was gone. There is no way he managed to send payment without reading that. The payment was sent strictly so he could neg me.

Well I'll agree there. That's why I don't think the neg will be removed. Regardless of eBay's standards I still think I'm in the right though. But he did harass me in PM so I hope he gets some kind of fallback from that.

From ebay's point of view, they want happy buyers and they want their cut of the auction. If you owned stock in the company you would feel the same way.

A buyer who pays within a week of winning the auction is a valuable commodity

and a seller who expects payment within two days is a problem.

And I'm not giving you a hard time. Just looking at the ebay auction reality.

I don't get that though. Deadbeat buyers who require cases to be constantly opened, who provoke customer service calls regularly, have to not be worth the trouble. I'm assuming this is the kind of eBayer he is without proof of course. I sold $1000+ worth of stuff on eBay this week. If its a matter of who is bringing in the money I bet I paid more in fees than he did. I also had several thousand dollars worth of stuff left to list? (shrug)

Not to mention I have been a member for nearly a decade without a problem and I imagine this guy has had problems before, maybe been kicked off eBay before. I guess it doesn't matter, I'll still shop on eBay. Might just list my coins and comics here though

After 48 hours I sent him a friendly e-mail reminder and waited another 48 hours.

Here is the problem and it is something that I had complained on deaf ears to ebay about. You the seller think that you are sending a friendly reminder (I thought this too) Ebay prompts sellers to send buyers who haven't paid a reminder. The only problem is that when the buyer gets the "Friendly reminder" it somehow has morphed into a message that the buyers reads as " The seller has opened up a non payment case against you" That is your friendly reminder

I think you have to make yourself understand that the Ebay rules are not in line with your rules, and the Ebay rules, rule.

Just because you want payment within 24 hours or 48 hours, does not mean that is the rule. It is only something you put in your ad, and a desire on your part. But Ebay rules take precedent over your rules. Whether you like it or not.

If you put in your ad that you will accept only gold or silver in payment for your item, and the buyer sends you payment via PayPal. He wins any dispute.

Sadly, you do not make the rules for your auctions or buy it now items. Ebay/PayPal does.

Ebay is the place to have literally the possibility of millions of potential buyers see your items. You have to work within their system, or choose not too. You can not re-write their rules.

I once delivered a $300.00 dollar item to a buyer, as he lived on my way to work. He had payed me already via PayPal. Next thing I know, I have the 300 taken out of my PayPal account, as he stated that he never received the item. Since I hand delivered it and had no proof I did so. I lost. He got the item and the $300 back. Ebay did not care one wit when I told them I personally handed him the item. They also did not care that he later sent me an email telling me it worked fine (it was a scanner that picked up emergency channels and cell phone calls). I forwarded the email to them, and they just did not care. They wanted to see a receipt from a shipping agent.

Someone unknown broke out the picture window in his house with a large rock and busted a windshield on a car in his driveway, I hear. Probably juvenile deliquents running the neighborhood. :)

I think you have to make yourself understand that the Ebay rules are not in line with your rules, and the Ebay rules, rule.

Just because you want payment within 24 hours or 48 hours, does not mean that is the rule. It is only something you put in your ad, and a desire on your part. But Ebay rules take precedent over your rules. Whether you like it or not.

If you put in your ad that you will accept only gold or silver in payment for your item, and the buyer sends you payment via PayPal. He wins any dispute.

Sadly, you do not make the rules for your auctions or buy it now items. Ebay/PayPal does.

Ebay is the place to have literally the possibility of millions of potential buyers see your items. You have to work within their system, or choose not too. You can not re-write their rules.

I once delivered a $300.00 dollar item to a buyer, as he lived on my way to work. He had payed me already via PayPal. Next thing I know, I have the 300 taken out of my PayPal account, as he stated that he never received the item. Since I hand delivered it and had no proof I did so. I lost. He got the item and the $300 back. Ebay did not care one wit when I told them I personally handed him the item. They also did not care that he later sent me an email telling me it worked fine (it was a scanner that picked up emergency channels and cell phone calls). I forwarded the email to them, and they just did not care. They wanted to see a receipt from a shipping agent.

Someone unknown broke out the picture window in his house with a large rock and busted a windshield on a car in his driveway, I hear. Probably juvenile deliquents running the neighborhood. :)

I love a happy ending :devil: