• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acid Free Comic Box Sources?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone here might know some alternative sources of supply for Acid Free Comic Boxes.

I've been slowly converting my better stuff to these storage boxes from Gerber:

#13 corrugated comic cartons

Gerber

However, hey called me on my latest order and said they haven't stocked these for months, and no longer have a supplier.

They appear to be the same item that Bill Cole stocks, but BC's price is more than double:

#13 acid free corrugated cartons

BC

I've found some similar items at cheaper prices from Gaylord and Conservation Resources, but they are all odd sizes:

CR

Another boardie referred me to "Comic Book Storage Boxes" from Hollinger Metal Edge - the sizing is 15D x 8 3/4W x 12H (as opposed to Gerber's 15 x 8 x 11 1/2) and they're $59.20 for 3 boxes:

linky

Do any of you know of another source of supply for the #13 boxes, or equivalent, that has more reasonable pricing?

, Gerber is where I get mine from, and never could find a place to beat their price.
Yeah - either Cole is raking it in, or Gerber was selling at a loss...., :sorry:

My understanding is that the cole and gerber products are one and the same. Cole is just more expensive. A bigger question is whether or not an acid free box is really needed if you store comics in archival bags and boards.

Edited by crazyhips

My understanding is that the cole and gerber products are one and the same. Cole is just more expensive. A bigger question is whether or not an acid free box is really needed if you store comics in archival bags and boards.

I see your point, but I just ran into the dilemma that the comics I just put into gold/silver Mylites no longer fit in my boxes! Are there any "regular" comic boxes that will work for me? The gold/silver mylites are about 8" wide. Do I need to go to magazine boxes?

Bazborg

I see your point, but I just ran into the dilemma that the comics I just put into gold/silver Mylites no longer fit in my boxes! Are there any "regular" comic boxes that will work for me? The gold/silver mylites are about 8" wide. Do I need to go to magazine boxes?

Bazborg

I'm in a similar predicament. I've been told the only way for the gold/silver mylites to fit, they must be put into a magazine sized box, which I believe both Cole and Gerber sell. Until I make an order they remain stacked in my closet.

I just got a return pm from a question I asked of Hotflips. It looks like for the gold/silver mylites, magazine boxes are the way to go. I have a few regular comic boxes that just barely fit, but they are the rare exception.

Bazborg

I'm hoping someone here might know some alternative sources of supply for Acid Free Comic Boxes.

Gerber

However, hey called me on my latest order and said they haven't stocked these for months, and no longer have a supplier.

They appear to be the same item that Bill Cole stocks, but BC's price is more than double:

BC

I've found some similar items at cheaper prices from Gaylord and Conservation Resources, but they are all odd sizes:

CR

Another boardie referred me to "Comic Book Storage Boxes" from Hollinger Metal Edge - the sizing is 15D x 8 3/4W x 12H (as opposed to Gerber's 15 x 8 x 11 1/2) and they're $59.20 for 3 boxes:

linky

Do any of you know of another source of supply for the #13 boxes, or equivalent, that has more reasonable pricing?

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm in the same spot. Everyone says "acid-free" everything...so far I've found great solutions for the bag (Mylites2), boards (fullbacks), and even good microchamber paper for inside the comics (from conservationresources.com), but no sensible solution for the comic box.

Much like this post, I was going to go with the box 13 from Egerber.com, but they said they're out and won't get anymore until next year (and wouldn't be more specific about WHEN next year). The Bill Cole boxes are WAY too expensive. I saw the same boxes you did at Hollinger Metal, but they're about as expensive as BC.

I'm curious about the microchamber boxes at the conservationresources.com site. If it's the same material that removes acidic and other pollutant qualities as the paper you put inside the comics, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would also help with that if the box was made of the same material? It's very expensive also though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Gerber

BC

CR

linky

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm in the same spot. Everyone says "acid-free" everything...so far I've found great solutions for the bag (Mylites2), boards (fullbacks), and even good microchamber paper for inside the comics (from conservationresources.com), but no sensible solution for the comic box.

Much like this post, I was going to go with the box 13 from Egerber.com, but they said they're out and won't get anymore until next year (and wouldn't be more specific about WHEN next year). The Bill Cole boxes are WAY too expensive. I saw the same boxes you did at Hollinger Metal, but they're about as expensive as BC.

I'm curious about the microchamber boxes at the conservationresources.com site. If it's the same material that removes acidic and other pollutant qualities as the paper you put inside the comics, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would also help with that if the box was made of the same material? It's very expensive also though. Anyone have any thoughts?

I had a semi-lengthy conversation with Gerber and the fellow I spoke with indicated they would attempt to resurrect the boxes at the end of the year, however, it depended on the cost of paper and finding a mill, etc. The upshot was, even if they can the new pricing is expected to be significantly higher.

If the books are in mylar, will the acid in a non-acid free box pass thru the mylar?

I would think not.

I read that over time it would contribute to the overall deterioration, which was the whole point to this topic. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with the microchamber boxes at the URL below? Any thoughts about it?

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_3/section3_5.htm

Does it offer the same advantages as the paper that goes inside the comics?

If the books are in mylar, will the acid in a non-acid free box pass thru the mylar?

I would think not.

I read that over time it would contribute to the overall deterioration, which was the whole point to this topic. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with the microchamber boxes at the URL below? Any thoughts about it?

The microchamber boxes are made of board just slightly thicker than a fullback. Nothing like the corrugated cardboard used in "standard" comic long or short boxes.

Yes, it offers the same advantages as the paper that goes inside the comics

My method, for what it's worth, is the following.

Insert two pieces of microchamber paper...one behind the front cover and one in front of the back.

Insert comic into Mylite2 Mylar sleeves from Gerber. Use fullback acid-free/buffered backing boards from the same company.

Then I put the comics into corrugated plastic short boxes, which are by nature acid-free. These are available from bagsunlimited.com.

The company is fantastic and sells all sorts of useful products! I highly suggest them!

My method, for what it's worth, is the following.

Insert two pieces of microchamber paper...one behind the front cover and one in front of the back.

Insert comic into Mylite2 Mylar sleeves from Gerber. Use fullback acid-free/buffered backing boards from the same company.

Then I put the comics into corrugated plastic short boxes, which are by nature acid-free. These are available from bagsunlimited.com.

The company is fantastic and sells all sorts of useful products! I highly suggest them!

Yes, I was thinking about looking into their plastic acid-free boxes. Do you get your microchamber paper from them also? If so, what do you think of the size? It seems like it would be too small to me, especially compared to the ones they sell at Frameitagainsam.com which appear to be the perfect size to cover an entire comic page. Have you had a chance to look at the microchamber boxes at Conservationresources.com? What do you think of your plastic acid-free boxes compared to those?

I would think not.

The microchamber boxes are made of board just slightly thicker than a fullback. Nothing like the corrugated cardboard used in "standard" comic long or short boxes.

Yes, it offers the same advantages as the paper that goes inside the comics

The way you say that it's "nothing" like the corrugated cardboard, it sounds like that's a bad thing. Is that the case? I would think that since standard cardboard boxes are not acid-free and that microchamber boxes offer the advantage of absorbing acidic pollutants like the paper that goes in the comics, that would mean that the microchamber boxes would be a much better choice. Would you disagree with that statement?

Do you get your microchamber paper from them also? If so, what do you think of the size? It seems like it would be too small to me, especially compared to the ones they sell at Frameitagainsam.com which appear to be the perfect size to cover an entire comic page.

I sell the cotton based microchamber interleaving paper that CGC uses, precut to several comic book sizes. I believe Sam uses the wood pulp bond paper. Bags-un is great, but they cut their microchamber too small.