• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has 'The Avengers' board game revealed the movie’s enemy soldiers?

17 posts in this topic

Has the Avengers board game revealed the movie’s enemy soldiers?

There's been a lot of speculation about the monstrous soldiers that appear in the latest Avengers trailer. Are they Frost Giants? Skrulls? Something else? Well, new photos from the Avengers strategy game may have the answer.

At Toy Fair, MTV Geek got a close look at the new game, and noticed these little pink devils all over the display, and they look a lot like the shapeshifting alien Skrulls. Now, the appearance of the Skrulls would contradict producer Kevin Feige's statement that Skrulls won't appear in the film, although some have speculated that the Avengers' foe will be a Skrull-like alien, such as the Ultimates universe's Chitauri, to ensure that Marvel dodges Skrull-related legal issues with Fox.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the strategy game isn't closely related to the movie, but these markers do bear a resemblance to the screencaps we saw in the Avengers trailer. So does this mean we'll be seeing Skrulls — or at least Skrullish creatures — in the movie?

:popcorn:

i thought the movie screen cap looked more like some sort of Alantean (from Alantis) soldier... which I thought would give a good tie in for a Sub-Mariner appearance... and it made more sense to me that Loki would team up with Namor (uber-human with a disdain for surface dwellers/mortals) rather than teaming up with some Skrull/Kree alien entity.

The mythological Loki was a shapechanger, so it does make some sense that he'd favour teaming up with Skrulls or Chitauri.  I know you don't see that ability much in the comics version. To me, thinking about the background, it does feel appropriate.

i thought the movie screen cap looked more like some sort of Alantean (from Alantis) soldier... which I thought would give a good tie in for a Sub-Mariner appearance... and it made more sense to me that Loki would team up with Namor (uber-human with a disdain for surface dwellers/mortals) rather than teaming up with some Skrull/Kree alien entity.

I hope this is the case. I think it makes more sense and a better story. Let the FF have the Skrulls, I don't want a cheap knockoff.

Take a look at the craft from which the creatures are jumping. There is a horizontal edge running all the way behind them. It appears to be adorned with what look like gigantic shark's teeth.