• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books About Comics

31 posts in this topic

One of my favorite comic book books was the supervillian book: guide to the evil side of comics and hollywood. I found it at barnes and noble in the bargain section for like 3 bucks or something. Theres really no pictures (that i can remeber) but it was good bathroom reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Supervillain-Book-Evil-Comics-Hollywood/dp/1578591783/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329078196&sr=1-5

Another good one is called graphic novels. Its just a huge list of the best graphic novels. It gives a pretty detailed account of what the book is about and any kind of history or facts about the book and its creators. I'd post a link for it too but when i go to look for it on amazon it just brings up a huge list of graphic novels, and not the book. I'll edit this with the authors name when i get home.

Mentioned this one in another thread.  Great book.

'Comics: Between the Panels' by Mike Richardson.

My favorite book about comics. I can read it over and over again without tiring of it.

The Ten Cent Plague by David Hadju and Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones are both great books about the early years of the industry.

Yes. I amazed by the depth of research in Men of Tomorrow.

Both are must-reads if interested in comic book history. (thumbs u

Many years ago a book called Comic Wars was written. As a business graduate, I found it fascinating as it dealt with Marvel Comics during the speculative time of the 1990's and their impending bankruptcy. If you like business books it is a must read.

Another book, Killer Stuff and Tons of Money; is a great read about the antiques market. There is an excellent chapter or two, in that book that deals with comic books and pop culture collectibles, as well. Definitely worth the read.

I agree, Lupoff and Thompson's book is a masterpiece and must read for every serious collector. So pleased to hear this important '70s tome is no longer out of print and available to scholar a new generation of comic book enthusiasts.

The Steranko History of Comics Vol 1&2 is also a deep and richly researched encyclopedia of comic publishing history. Also its graphic layout is artistic and edited beautifully by one of our greatest artist creators.

The Mad World of William M. Gaines, written by Frank Jacobs is highly recommended and a very fun read about an important era in comic book history. Jacobs is one of my all time favorite writers of the last century.