• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books About Comics

31 posts in this topic

The Ten Cent Plague by David Hadju and Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones are both great books about the early years of the industry.

Yes. I amazed by the depth of research in Men of Tomorrow.

Both are must-reads if interested in comic book history. (thumbs u

I have the former but haven't gotten around to it yet. I loved Men of Tomorrow and can highly recommend it if you are interested in the "Inside Baseball" aspect of comics history.

Also have All in Color but haven't read it yet either. :(

Currently reading Lee & Kirby: The Wonder Years by Mark Alexander, basically a thicker issue of the Jack Kirby Collector that looks into the origins of the Fantastic Four comic. Good stuff regarding the conditions at Marvel around the time FF #1 came out, the impact of the book, etc.

Another of my favorites is THE COMICS by Coulton Waugh, published in 1947.

While it's really about the development of newspaper comic strips, the final chapter

is dedicated to COMIC BOOKS..."We had better add comic books to the list of

important discoveries made in the world in the last ten years." It's a very interesting

account of the development and possible future of comic books.

mm

Currently reading Lee & Kirby: The Wonder Years by Mark Alexander, basically a thicker issue of the Jack Kirby Collector that looks into the origins of the Fantastic Four comic. Good stuff regarding the conditions at Marvel around the time FF #1 came out, the impact of the book, etc.

I've seen this on Amazon, does it take sides or is it impartial?

Another of my favorites is THE COMICS by Coulton Waugh, published in 1947.

While it's really about the development of newspaper comic strips, the final chapter

is dedicated to COMIC BOOKS..."We had better add comic books to the list of

important discoveries made in the world in the last ten years." It's a very interesting

account of the development and possible future of comic books.

mm

100 Years of Comic Strips by Bill Blackburn, dale Crane & James Vance.

This book is also all about comic strips, with 475 pages. There is only one Superman strip, from 1945 if I recall correctly. The book for the most part covers comic strips from 1895 to 1940 with perhaps the last 20% of the book covering 1941 to 1995.

GAM_COM4.jpg

20 years ago Mike Benton (also wrote "The Comic Book In America") authored a series of Five fully illustrated books in color on certain Comic Genres.

They were (in order)

1.Horror comics (144 pages).

2. Superhero Comics of the Silver Age (224 pages).

3. Sciene Fiction Comics (150 pages).

4. Superhero Comics of the Golden Age (200 pages).

5. Crime Comics (166 pages).

Almost 900 pages of goodness.... (thumbs u

Any book by Bill Schelly is a wonderful,must-read. Another called "Comics Between the Panels" is super (I think that was the title). The ongoing periodical, Alter Ego can't be recommended highly enough. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u