• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gil Kane Cover Thread
6 6

632 posts in this topic

My earliest comic memories are the spinner racks at 7-11s and various drug stores. Although I probably didn't realize it at the time, a huge percentage of the Marvel covers were drawn by Gil Kane. I also didn't realize just how many dramatic, inventive, and memorable covers Kane drew in that period. So I figured it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to his work.

What a great idea for a thread, Barton. Work has been crazy lately so I just discovered it. Like you, I remember heading to the store for new comics as a kid in the 70s; Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, Defenders, Thor, Captain America, Marvel Team-Up, Iron Man...he did them all. I loved his Spideys as a kid and I love his Thors as an adult but my favorite cover of his is this one.

AmazingAdventures11CGC9.jpg

My earliest comic memories are the spinner racks at 7-11s and various drug stores. Although I probably didn't realize it at the time, a huge percentage of the Marvel covers were drawn by Gil Kane. I also didn't realize just how many dramatic, inventive, and memorable covers Kane drew in that period. So I figured it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to his work.

What a great idea for a thread, Barton. Work has been crazy lately so I just discovered it. Like you, I remember heading to the store for new comics as a kid in the 70s; Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, Defenders, Thor, Captain America, Marvel Team-Up, Iron Man...he did them all. I loved his Spideys as a kid and I love his Thors as an adult but my favorite cover of his is this one.

Thanks for joining in, Steve. That AA #11 is phenomenal - a killer cover and a killer book. (The ASM #121 and 122 are great too. But I think they're all Romita. Not that I'd ever mind looking at them.)

Thanks for joining in, Steve. That AA #11 is phenomenal - a killer cover and a killer book. (The ASM #121 and 122 are great too. But I think they're all Romita. Not that I'd ever mind looking at them.)

No way Barton. Those books are all Kane goodness with Romita inks. The best possible combo on Spidey.

No way Barton. Those books are all Kane goodness with Romita inks. The best possible combo on Spidey.

I know the interiors are Romita and Kane. But I think the covers are just Romita. They're only signed by Romita and GCD only lists Romita as the cover artist. (I know GCD isn't gospel, but between that and the lone signatures...)

I will never forget the first time that I read these two comics.

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC9.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man122CGC9.jpg

I know the interiors are Romita and Kane. But I think the covers are just Romita. They're only signed by Romita and GCD only lists Romita as the cover artist. (I know GCD isn't gospel, but between that and the lone signatures...)

I will never forget the first time that I read these two comics.

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC9.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man122CGC9.jpg

You could very well be right about the covers. I forgot what thread we are in.