• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

21 posts in this topic

At the Philly show, I had raw books slabbed for the first time. It was both an elating and deflating experience. Don't know if the volume and time pressures of on-site grading made the process more capricious than usual, but there were some odd grades that worked both in my favor and against me. I'd be curious about experiences of others with the on-site grading process.

First, the good. It was the best of times.....

493221-FF55%20before.jpg

493221-ff55%20after.jpg

589a8c816d5f3_493221-ff55after.jpg.fcb07953a2cdc45ce8696c2ed17dc5b7.jpg

And now the bad. Purchased this book nearly 10 years ago as a VF-. It is an admittedly difficult copy to grade, with VF/NM structure, but a significant stain on the top. Although the book is completely flat through the stain (none of the usual water rippling), it is clearly worth a major downgrade. Just not as much, I thought, as it was given.

It was the worst of times....

493227-JIM83%20before.jpg

493227-JIM83%20after.jpg

589a8c8171859_493227-JIM83after.jpg.ea2f20a69a91fcaa06232bda00e1be2a.jpg

Not b__tching, just describing my simultaneous joy and depression at the slabbing process. How did others find the on-site grading at Philly?

that water stain does take away from the eye appeal, looks more like bleach. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but i've seen water stains on books before that takes nothing away from the eye appeal, just slight rippling effect. congrats on the FF 55 though! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Not b__tching, just describing my simultaneous joy and depression at the slabbing process. How did others find the on-site grading at Philly?

Just joking. Yeah, I feel for you with your JIM. sorry.gif

After receiving a 9.6 on your FF, and a very respectable 6.0 on your JIM, confused-smiley-013.gif IMO the worst of times went flying out the window.

I would be happy as a pig in ...., but thats just me.

Hey Namisgr,

That FF#55 is a real stunner! 893whatthe.gif

As for the JIM, 6.0-6.5 is about what I'd have given it if I'd have been asked to grade it based on what I can see in the scan. I know that's tough to accept when the book is sold to you as a VF-, but when you have a gorgeous book like that with one significant defect that is consistent with even lower grades, it's tough to make a judgment call on the final grade. Having said that, I can see how your onsite experience was both a happy and sad occasion.

And if you need to unload that JIM to take the sting away, I am here for you buddy. devil.gif

"And if you need to unload that JIM to take the sting away, I am here for you buddy." devil.gif

Feel free to make me an offer - just keep in mind I've got to recoup the cost of a raw VF- book grin.gif

And now the bad. Purchased this book nearly 10 years ago as a VF-. It is an admittedly difficult copy to grade, with VF/NM structure, but a significant stain on the top. Although the book is completely flat through the stain (none of the usual water rippling), it is clearly worth a major downgrade. Just not as much, I thought, as it was given.

It was the worst of times....

493227-JIM83%20before.jpg

493227-JIM83%20after.jpg

I agree with this grade it is definatly a fine condition comic. before I scrolled down to your grade I said "fine" looking at the original scan.

first - that's a great comic to go a 9.6 - you should be elated. i've never received a 9.6 on any comic that i've submitted and doubt that there is any in my collection.

the JIM is a tough one to swallow, because it looks so nice otherwise. my experience with CGC so far suggests that something like that stain, rippling on a back cover, a small chunk out of an otherwise outstanding book, etc, can cost you a quick 2 full point downgrade. i've had my share of disappointments, and also nice surprises, so the fact that it balanced out for you is nice.

killer #55 BTW thumbsup2.gif

First of all, two great books. acclaim.gif

Second, aren't most SOLD AS VF- ten years ago, TODAY'S FINE (6.0).

It's not like you thought it was a VF/NM.

I bought several NM Marvel Keys (over guide value at the time) ten to fifteen years ago that are now CGC VF+ (8.5). That's a much bigger value difference.

Plus, at least the JIM didn't come back restored. thumbsup2.gif

I hear you Steve, and feel your pain about raw books purchased many years ago that don't measure up when slabbed. In the batch graded on-site at Philly, I had a couple of raw NM- purchases that went into 8.5 slabs, and one PLOD for a top-edge trim job. CGC loves Pacific Coast books, though (the FF55 is from that Pedigree), so those books made up for the disappointments.

I am still wondering about how on-site grading compares with its Sarasota counterpart. They apparently ripped through about 1200 books over the 3 days of the con, and under those hurried conditions, it wouldn't be surprising if there were more than the normal numbers of generous/overgraded and harsh/undergraded books.

am still wondering about how on-site grading compares with its Sarasota counterpart. They apparently ripped through about 1200 books over the 3 days of the con, and under those hurried conditions, it wouldn't be surprising if there were more than the normal numbers of generous/overgraded and harsh/undergraded books.

I believe greggy was dissappointed in some of the grades.

Anyone else have books graded at the con?

am still wondering about how on-site grading compares with its Sarasota counterpart. They apparently ripped through about 1200 books over the 3 days of the con, and under those hurried conditions, it wouldn't be surprising if there were more than the normal numbers of generous/overgraded and harsh/undergraded books.

I believe greggy was dissappointed in some of the grades.

Anyone else have books graded at the con?

Those were my "modern" tier books which I felt were slightly stricter than books submitted through the economy tier. Here's the list of my completed sub. Mostly DCs but the grades were excellent for the most part.

Action Comics 425 9.6 W

Action Comics 437 9.2 W

Adventure Comics 425 9.6 OWW

Adventure Comics 425 9.6 OWW

Astonishing Tales 1 9.2 COW

Batman 255 9.6 W

Batman 256 9.4 OW

Batman 261 9.4 OWW - Reslab only

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 14 9.0 OWW - Slight P though frown.gif

DC Special 5 9.4 OWW

DC Special 6 9.6 OWW

DC Special 7 9.6 OWW

DC Special 7 9.8 OWW

DC Special 8 9.6 OWW

DC Special 8 9.6 OWW

DC Special 9 9.4 W

DC Special 10 9.4 OW

DC Special 10 9.6 W

DC Special 11 9.6 OWW

DC Special 12 9.6 W

DC Special 12 9.6 W

DC Special 13 9.4 W

DC Special 14 9.6 OWW

DC Special 14 9.6 W

DC Special 15 9.6 OWW

DC Special 15 9.4 OW

Doc Savage 1 9.4 OW

Fantastic Four 94 9.4 OWW

Flash 232 9.4 W

Ghosts 4 9.6 OWW

House of Mystery 224 9.6 OWW

House of Mystery 224 9.4 W

House of Mystery 229 9.0 OWW

Justice League of America 110 9.4 W

Justice League of America 110 9.6 W

Justice League of America 116 9.2 OWW

Marvel Spotlight 1 9.4 OWW

Marvel Team-up 4 9.2 W

Marvel Two-In-One 1 9.4 OW

Marvel Two-In-One 1 9.2 W

Marvel Two-In-One 4 9.6 OWW

Shadow 1 9.6 OW

Shazam 8 9.2 W

Shazam 8 9.6 W

Sub-Mariner 34 9.6 OWW

Sub-Mariner 35 9.2 W

Superman 233 9.4 W

Superman 254 9.6 OWW

Superman Family 164 9.2 W

Superman Family 168 9.4 OWW

Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane 120 9.6 W

Supernatural Thrillers 2 9.6 OWW

Tarzan 207 9.0 COW

Tarzan 231 9.6 W

Tarzan 232 9.6 W

Tarzan 232 9.6 W

Tarzan 235 9.2 OWW

Tomb of Dracula 1 9.6 W

Unexpected 158 9.6 OW

Unexpected 159 9.4 OW

Unexpected 160 9.4 OWW

Unexpected 160 9.6 OW

World's Finest 225 9.6 W

World's Finest 225 9.6 OWW

World's Finest 226 9.6 W

World's Finest 226 9.4 W

World's Finest 228 9.4 OWW

World's Finest 228 9.4 COW

Young Love 109 9.4 OWW

Young Love 109 9.2 OWW

Young Romance 197 9.6 W

Well - gosh! N o, that wasnl;t right! GOSH! Ya, that's it. Jeeze Greggy! 893applaud-thumb.gif
You likey? cool.gif

errr- ::dang!:: ummmm ::grrrrr:: uhhhhhh - OK - you got me! Yes! grin.gif

I was extra careful for the most part, as I learned from my previous forays into the squarebound grading arena. Only a few dogs which is quite good for me. insane.gif