• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astonishing X-men 1 is coming.............

108 posts in this topic

Is the Cassiday cover really worth that price?? Please enlighten me, because I can pick one up for $130.00

No.

If you want scarce books, start tracking down those "Ghostbusters" variants that came out a while back. Several of those only had 1,000 copy print runs.*

*(Scarcity does not determine value. Your results may vary.)

Good to know, funny you should mention the Ghostbusters books, I actually found 2 regualr covers and 1 variant on the rack today. cloud9.gif

I just spoke to my LCS and he hasn't even priced his variants yet. He is waiting to see how much he can get for them. He told me to check with him tomorrow, he has both by the way.

Went to my LCS this morning and he had both covers on the rack. Apparently torturing them. 27_laughing.gif

The Cassaday cover was $34.95, the other variant cover was $7.95.

Is the Cassiday cover really worth that price?? Please enlighten me, because I can pick one up for $130.00

Sounds like most of the shops have at least a few copies of this variant cover. If this is the case, than it really can't be scarce to the point that it should be going for $130.00 I believe it's scarce from the point of view that there is a lot of SHORT-TERM demand for this book right now because it is the newest hot thing. Most likely the classic case of a book starting at the top with nowhere to go but down. tonofbricks.gif

With all the multiple covers, variant covers, sketch covers, etc. being done by the publishers to attract the speculators, this is starting to look exactly like 1993 just before the entire Modern comic book market crashed. I guess the publishers have still not learned their lesson from last time since they appear to be catering more to the speculators than to the readers once again. tonofbricks.giftonofbricks.gif

Just in case anyone would like a little homework assignment.

Reference: Prophet #4 - Stephen Platt variant circa 1993...

(Super-hot book, dealers went nuts, collectors paid big bucks to obtain...)

Current value... blush.gif

(Hey Lou, I just noticed you mentioned 1993 in your post... 893applaud-thumb.gif)

Sounds like most of the shops have at least a few copies of this variant cover. If this is the case, than it really can't be scarce to the point that it should be going for $130.00

Problem is that ALL shops don't have copies... and that in turn is adding to the frenzy. Lighthouse mentioned this in his post as he was rambling again about another quirky yet true story pertaining to the distribution of this variant. My LCS had 7 copies of the Cassaday cover for me to pick through and would only sell me one. I told them I'd be glad to take the rest if no one else did. Sold out all by that night. That store has enough X-men subscribers that if they held an auction with just those 7 copies, they would have gove for about $150 a piece. Supply and demand at work, but I think Lighthouse touched upon this as well, it is short term demand until the copies make it into the hands of those who want it bad enough and can afford to shell out the big $$ for it. The rest of the folks who sit back and wait out the madness MAY get a copy for $20 - $30 if they are lucky enough or they may not get one at all.

Another problem is retailers that don't know what they've got. The ones who are selling the Cassaday and Dell' Otto variants for cover and as many to one customer as they want. How the heck can you run a comic shop buisness and not know what you're selling foreheadslap.gif

Based on distribution tales a fair market value price for these would have been:

cover price for the regular Cassaday cover (Wolvie fist)

$5-8 for the Dell' Otto cover and limited number per customer (1-3 copies)

$35 for the team Cassaday cover (1-3 copies)

The Director's Cut has the same cover as the retailer incentive Cassaday but has added info, like interviews, sketches etc (see Supreme Power 1 Special Edition, FF 500 Directors Cut)

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 foreheadslap.gif )

The Director's Cut has the same cover as the retailer incentive Cassaday but has added info, like interviews, sketches etc (see Supreme Power 1 Special Edition, FF 500 Directors Cut)

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 foreheadslap.gif )

Can anybody remember Gen13 from Image not so long ago back in '93 or '94! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't they come out with 13 different cover versions of the exact same book. Another one of the publishing industry's great ideas which did nothing but helped to pushed the entire Modern comic book market over the cliff.

I think we are rapidly approaching the edge of the cliff once again with all the silly fiascos which the publishers are currently doing. foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif