• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astonishing X-men 1 is coming.............

108 posts in this topic

Is the Cassiday cover really worth that price?? Please enlighten me, because I can pick one up for $130.00

No.

If you want scarce books, start tracking down those "Ghostbusters" variants that came out a while back. Several of those only had 1,000 copy print runs.*

*(Scarcity does not determine value. Your results may vary.)

Good to know, funny you should mention the Ghostbusters books, I actually found 2 regualr covers and 1 variant on the rack today. cloud9.gif

Which variant was it? I'm betting it wasn't one of the two 1000-print run books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (This book has more variant covers than Greggy has udders!)

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 )

Dell'Otto sketch? I must have missed the comic boat on this one. What did retailers need to do to get the sketch cover?

CRC

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 )

Dell'Otto sketch? I must have missed the comic boat on this one. What did retailers need to do to get the sketch cover?

CRC

If your refering to the Ghostbusters, it was the painted cover of Vinkman. I know the hot ome is the one with the Ghostbusters logo on it.

CRC

order it from Diamond. confused-smiley-013.gif

CRC

If your refering to the Ghostbusters, it was the painted cover of Vinkman. I know the hot ome is the one with the Ghostbusters logo on it.

Noooo there's TWO MORE! shocked.gif

For issue 1, they made the Venkman cover, the group cover, the logo cover, AND the Graham Crackers cover (with, somewhat comically, the Sta-Puft Marshmallow man-- very cool), AND a Vince Clortho (as a "dog") cover that was made for Toyzz.com!

The last two were the 1,000 print run books... but they really are cool covers, if you're a Ghostbusters fan. thumbsup2.gif

CRC

For issue 1, they made the Venkman cover, the group cover, the logo cover, AND the Graham Crackers cover (with, somewhat comically, the Sta-Puft Marshmallow man-- very cool), AND a Vince Clortho (as a "dog") cover that was made for Toyzz.com!

The last two were the 1,000 print run books... but they really are cool covers, if you're a Ghostbusters fan. thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, and #1 had a second print cover that featured Ecto-1 (the car) and it's really nice.

The End.

CRC

Oh yeah, and #1 had a second print cover that featured Ecto-1 (the car) and it's really nice.

The End.

I've seen all of them except the Ecto 1 cover, you can still get the Stay Puff cover at Comic Central.

CRC

The End.

I've seen all of them except the Ecto 1 cover, you can still get the Stay Puff cover at Comic Central.

gossip.gif I think all of them are readily available...

Marshmallow man & logo & Ecto-1

Clortho

The Director's Cut has the same cover as the retailer incentive Cassaday but has added info, like interviews, sketches etc (see Supreme Power 1 Special Edition, FF 500 Directors Cut)

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 foreheadslap.gif )

Can anybody remember Gen13 from Image not so long ago back in '93 or '94! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't they come out with 13 different cover versions of the exact same book. Another one of the publishing industry's great ideas which did nothing but helped to pushed the entire Modern comic book market over the cliff.

I think we are rapidly approaching the edge of the cliff once again with all the silly fiascos which the publishers are currently doing. foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

I was 18-19 when the phenomenon above was taking place - Where marketing supplanted plot, dialogue and to a lesser extent artwork (some of those covers are nice) With that in mind I am now 10 years wiser and while I know that Darth and Donut and the like will make out just fine as they are in tune with the short term speculation market enough to know when to hold 'em, fold 'em and walk away - you will excuse me while I run, in the other direction form these comics.

There are something like 6 X-books coming out in the next few months if I am not mistaken? There goes the mutant Universe, I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now. Yet again a market is being created by manipulation and marketing rather than by talent and substance. Who know maybe Astonished X-Men will be a greaat book, but I think I'll have a gandeur at some HG copies of Astonishing Tales - you with me Deathlock popcorn.gif

Yet again a market is being created by manipulation and marketing rather than by talent and substance.

While I agree about the marketing via multiple covers thing being lame, I do have to strongly disagree about the "talent and substance" bit. If Whedon/Cassaday don't have talent and substance then no one in the industry does. That's one of the reasons they went overboard with this garbage- they had such a good team on the book.

the director's cut edition is out this week. i've not reserve this comic at my LCS yet. just how rare will it be compared to retailer incentive edition?

Walked up to a small LCS during my lunch break today. They generally have only 5-10 copies of any new issue for their shelf. Noticed that they had over 20 copies of this Director's cut sitting on the shelves.

So I guess this book must be very rare indeed. Maybe they need to issue a full sketch cover version also. 27_laughing.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

The Director's Cut has the same cover as the retailer incentive Cassaday but has added info, like interviews, sketches etc (see Supreme Power 1 Special Edition, FF 500 Directors Cut)

It is a pre-order so they have not run out. They are sitll gathering orders for this particular issue. I REPEAT: This Director's cut Astonishing X-men 1 is yet another variant - the 5th one announced thus far (1 = regular cover, 2 = Dell'otto, 3 = CAssaday team retailer incentive cover, 4 = Dell' otto sketch, 5 = Director's cut - same cover as 3 foreheadslap.gif )

Can anybody remember Gen13 from Image not so long ago back in '93 or '94! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Didn't they come out with 13 different cover versions of the exact same book. Another one of the publishing industry's great ideas which did nothing but helped to pushed the entire Modern comic book market over the cliff.

I think we are rapidly approaching the edge of the cliff once again with all the silly fiascos which the publishers are currently doing. foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

I was 18-19 when the phenomenon above was taking place - Where marketing supplanted plot, dialogue and to a lesser extent artwork (some of those covers are nice) With that in mind I am now 10 years wiser and while I know that Darth and Donut and the like will make out just fine as they are in tune with the short term speculation market enough to know when to hold 'em, fold 'em and walk away - you will excuse me while I run, in the other direction form these comics.

There are something like 6 X-books coming out in the next few months if I am not mistaken? There goes the mutant Universe, I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now. Yet again a market is being created by manipulation and marketing rather than by talent and substance. Who know maybe Astonished X-Men will be a greaat book, but I think I'll have a gandeur at some HG copies of Astonishing Tales - you with me Deathlock popcorn.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you have any AT#25's for sale?

Yet again a market is being created by manipulation and marketing rather than by talent and substance.

While I agree about the marketing via multiple covers thing being lame, I do have to strongly disagree about the "talent and substance" bit. If Whedon/Cassaday don't have talent and substance then no one in the industry does. That's one of the reasons they went overboard with this garbage- they had such a good team on the book.

Rob, I'm not judging the book, but the logic of market manipulation, that is consciously trying to manufacture a collectible. Through massaging the supply and demand of a market, while still making profit margins greater.

An analogy I like to use is this - we all know, or should know that lottery auctions on Ebay are to be avoided (see recent dickwad seller thread in general). To me the Astonishing X-men #1 is a lottery auction. IE order a million copies of the common version to get a limited number of the same book with a diffrent cover.

The problem occurs when this is successful and Marvel tries to use this ploy on a substandard book to generate more sales and interest. As imitation is one of the greatest marketing strategies out there.

Rob, I'm not judging the book, but the logic of market manipulation, that is consciously trying to manufacture a collectible. Through massaging the supply and demand of a market, while still making profit margins greater.

An analogy I like to use is this - we all know, or should know that lottery auctions on Ebay are to be avoided (see recent dickwad seller thread in general). To me the Astonishing X-men #1 is a lottery auction. IE order a million copies of the common version to get a limited number of the same book with a diffrent cover.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I could write a book about what you're talking about. Trust me. I bought and sold 10-15 years ago just like I buy and sell now. I followed the industry then just like I do now. This is not an unfamiliar pattern to me and the arguments you are making are familiar and are filled with truth.

The thing is, you brought up talent like it was lacking on this book. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's the way I read it. I felt like that was as good a place as any to interject the idea that this is a good book, regardless of the multiple cover thing. I'm a big Cassaday fan and I've been really into the first two issues, so I feel like some good work is getting buried underneath all this variant cover discussion, so I want to get it out there whenever I can. The "star power" of the creative team was also obviously a MAJOR factor in them going overboard with the hype machine.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Naw man that is a important book for me as Perez is my fav childhood artist and I love the cover (which he didnt do) and I really like Deathlock as a char and think that Cyborg in New Teen Titans is based on him, with Perez involved in both projects is kinda a landmark book for my collecting tastes and I love the copies I have. If I get a 9.8 I will post a scan though, you have a 9.6 as well I assume?

Oh and Rob I understand the point about not wanting the talent on the book to get lost in the arguement, I just see alot of disturbing trends in the new market - even though I will sit this round out I dont think it bodes well for the hobby.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Naw man that is a important book for me as Perez is my fav childhood artist and I love the cover (which he didnt do) and I really like Deathlock as a char and think that Cyborg in New Teen Titans is based on him, with Perez involved in both projects is kinda a landmark book for my collecting tastes and I love the copies I have. If I get a 9.8 I will post a scan though, you have a 9.6 as well I assume?

Oh and Rob I understand the point about not wanting the talent on the book to get lost in the arguement, I just see alot of disturbing trends in the new market - even though I will sit this round out I dont think it bodes well for the hobby.

jbud you rock! I have a 9.8 among other copies, also a Perez signature series copy is in the works thanks to AlexH and Paradise Comics. I am also looking forward to collecting Tales of the Teen Titans. I have a HG "Judas Contract" set.