• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question ??

31 posts in this topic

I need some context to be certain.

Possibly the color proof made by the printer that is approved by the client. Then used by the press operator to match for color when printing the cover.

There are other possibilities if you can give the context.

It could mean several things, depending on the era - in regards to printing, a cover "proof" is either a color print out from a calibrated printer or proofer (from 2000s - up), a "matchprint" (from mid 1990s-2000s) or a "chromakey" (from before mid 1990s) - all of which show how the colors will display on the final printed product.

These are usually output by someone in production to show the client if the colors are accurate, and if they are, they are given to the pressman to use as visual assistance when registering and matching the colors on press.

I question the "value" of these items because they are not part of the production run of comics nor a unique piece of original art, and are either filed or thrown away. I, personally, don't assign value to it - but sometimes if it's the only way to get a piece of art - you gotta go for it.

What are you looking at?

It looks like it has been cropped to cut out the parts that would identify it as a proof, namely the pin registers that are used to register the four overlays.

Color proofs of that era would be created by chemically exposing each color plate (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) to a clear plastic sheet. Each sheet would bear the color of the plate it was exposed to. When overlaying all sheets together, you would get a color image.

This was a fairly accurate representation, as you used the actual printing plates to create your "proof". It was time-intensive and costly, but that's how you did it back then.

This link does not show any evidence of overlays. If you have an interest in the artwork, you may have to contact Metro and ask if you can see the original scan.

Yes. That is a cover proof as Doctor Nuts and I described.

Doctor Nuts just doesn't have the same ring.

Some people calls 'em balls. I calls 'em nuts. mmmm hmmm

I hope that was meant to be read with a Karl Childers voice.

I hope that was meant to be read with a Karl Childers voice.

I like the way you talk.

There's these two fellers standin' on a bridge, a-goin' ta the bathroom. One feller said, "The water's cold" and the other feller said, "The water's deep."

I believe one feller come from Arkansas.

Get it?