• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whitman - Hard to find issues - List available?

12 posts in this topic

Hello to all the sage boardmembers. hi.gif

A little help if you would.

I have been fortunate enough to happen upon a large collection of non-superhero Bronze books in nice shape. I keep stumbling upon odd titles and many comics published by Whitman.

In terms of the comics published by Whitman, many are probably aware of the super rare comics like Uncle Scrooge #179 from 1980 which is over $500 in NM as well as Little Lulu #260. However, I know that there are dozens of comics that were Whitman only (some distributed in 3 packs only) that are very hard to find.

I searched the boards and could not find a link to discussion about this in the past. I would love to see a list of all the hard to find Whitman comics from the 70's/80's.

If anyone has such a list, please post it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Thanks in advance!

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 480

Uncle Scrooge 179

Tweety and Sylvester 107

Donald Duck 222

Porky Pig 99

Huey, Dewey and Louie 37(?)

Super Goof 65

and others.

You might try to track down backissues of Comic Book MarketPlace #85 and #86 which contain a two part article on Whitmans by Jon McClure.

I own #86 and in that issue he explores the subject of bagged comics and the final days of Whitman. I haven't seen the first part of the article, just know it ran prior to this installment, I assume in issue #85.

In the first installment (reading from issue #86) he provided a quick overview of the complicated publishing history of the many Western/Dell/Gold Key/Whitman comics. Apparently part one contained a table of releases from late 1971 through late 1980 and a set of calendar charts for the years 1982 to 84.

I would keep an eye out on ebay.....these issues pop up every once in while. Or maybe a board member has them for sale.

Redhook

DAMN! Slipped up again! 893frustrated.gif

Sorry, Krypto, it was late, I wasn't thinking....... 27_laughing.gif

Thing was, when he directed his query towards "sage boardmembers", I knew he was really asking for me personally! confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks to all including redhook and rjpb for the heads up. I will try to track down the CBM issues and put together the list. If I do develop a list, I will try to remember to post it here.