• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Pressing Question

114 posts in this topic

Another thing that should be mentioned is that CGC is downgrading for improperly pressed books if the book sustains damage during the pressing process...for example, books are downgraded severely if they are too flat and the notes will often reflect it with the word "crushed" used as a description.

Urban myth - to scare away wannabe pressers and to push customers to the preferred professionals

I doubt it is a myth.

Pancaked pressed jobs would have defects which would result in lower grades; pronouned spine tics (due to lack of humidification before pressing, most likely, paired with overagressive heat/pressure).

For the most part, Costanza'd pressed books can be doctored up, so to speak, by having a competent presser, Joeypost or CCS, press them again.

I'm referring to books that have been pancaked (the corners flare up when the book is lied down on a level surface)due to excessive heat/pressure.

Of course, if CB spine tics are a result of overzealous pressing, nothing can be done to address that.

It is good to hear that CGC is downgrading for "pancake pressed jobs" but also, not so good to hear that some grader's notes reveal that some books pressed by CCS still had defects which were pressable and CGC downgraded said books for the defects.If this is true, we really need to see a couple examples of CCS/CGC slabbed books, along with grader's notes.

What I found intersting was when grading notes became free a few weeks ago several people who had thier books pressed by CCS noticed that their books still had pressable defects and were downgradee for them.

Doesn't that speak at least somewhat towards the internal diologue between CCS and CGC?

To me, it speaks to the CCS business model, whereby if your book has been pressed only once, and particularly by someone other than Matt or when Matt's worked quickly, it may still have unrealized grade potential.

What I found intersting was when grading notes became free a few weeks ago several people who had thier books pressed by CCS noticed that their books still had pressable defects and were downgradee for them.

Doesn't that speak at least somewhat towards the internal diologue between CCS and CGC?

To me, it speaks to the CCS business model whereby, if your book has been pressed only once, and particularly by someone other than Matt, it may still have unrealized grade potential.

It's possible the book was properly pressed and left the hands of CCS in a desirable state. I think it's very possible the handling of the book from CCS to the graders contributed to the defects.Also, depending on the tier, the time lapse may have seen some paper memory return.

It may also be Matt has now instructed his staff to be more gentle and kind on the pressing. If so, kudos. Do we really expect pressing to eliminate every little problem ? IMO, one tick of a grade is not worth subjecting a book to an uber press.

I think it's very possible the handling of the book from CCS to the graders contributed to the defects.

I've certainly had my suspicions lately.

To me, it speaks to the CCS business model, whereby if your book has been pressed only once, and particularly by someone other than Matt or when Matt's worked quickly, it may still have unrealized grade potential.

Am I missing something? Are we talking past each other?

The allegation is that CCS books don't get scrutinized the same way non CCS books do but Matt did press the books, they were graded by the sister / brother company CGC and they still had pressable defects after CCS pressed them (as revealed by the grading notes).

Do you think if CGC had known that these books came from CCS that they would open this can of worms and put pressable defects in the grading notes? It seems that the books were treated impartially. At least with this example.

If the books were not treated impartially (as some are contending) and there was some sort of inner communication that books in the grader's hands were coming from CCS, don't you think the books would be sent back to Matt to finish the job properly?

I think it's very possible the handling of the book from CCS to the graders contributed to the defects.

I've certainly had my suspicions lately.

The books are stacked and are in mylars / bags and backing boards. Hard to introduce pressable defects on books when they are stacked this way unless they are dropped.

It is possible but I think the more likely scenario is that they were improperly pressed.

Well now that notes are free to all it should be real easy to find a example of "crushed." If they do so exist......

I've already found them on notes for books I've bought. Do you guys think I was making it up out of thin air? (shrug)

The skepticism is in reference to the disbelief that when CCS poorly presses a comic, it will show up as such on the graders' notes, or be fully incorporated into the numerical grade to the same degree as for comics pressed by others.

And just to touch on this, at least part of the skepticism was questioning if there were actually grader's notes that actually used the word 'crushed' and if the book was actually downgraded for this defect.

The word crushed is used and books are downgraded for it. Absolutely.

Is anyone going to post one of the numerous books with the "crushed" notations? Seems like it should be pretty easy for someone to remember at least a group of books that had the book that got that grader note and then narrow it down to the particular book with it so everyone can see it. (shrug)

Is anyone going to post one of the numerous books with the "crushed" notations? Seems like it should be pretty easy for someone to remember at least a group of books that had the book that got that grader note and then narrow it down to the particular book with it so everyone can see it. (shrug)

You make it sound like it's imaginary. I just did an email search of the word 'crushed' in my email archives and came up with several notes I've saved with the word 'crushed'. Here's one:

Bottom Front Cover Small Tear with Crease

Left Center Back Cover Lite Multiple Crease

Left Top Back Cover Lite Crease

Right Center Front Cover Fingerprints Breaks Color

Spine Lite Crushed/Flattened

Spine Stress Lines

Spine Wear Breaks Color

Here's another:

Bottom Front Cover Small Crease Breaks Color

Spine Small Lite Stress Lines Breaks Color

Whole Book Crushed/Flattened

Here's another:

Back Cover Lite Multiple Stain

Front Cover Lite Multiple Stain

Front Cover Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Left Center Back Cover Tear

Right Center Front Cover Color Lift Breaks Color

Spine Crushed/Flattened

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

The grades on these books range from 5.0 to 9.0.

Want more? (shrug)

Well now that notes are free to all it should be real easy to find a example of "crushed." If they do so exist......

I've already found them on notes for books I've bought. Do you guys think I was making it up out of thin air? (shrug)

hm

Yuuuuup!

Am I missing something? Are we talking past each other?

The allegation is that CCS books don't get scrutinized the same way non CCS books do but Matt did press the books, they were graded by the sister / brother company CGC and they still had pressable defects after CCS pressed them (as revealed by the grading notes).

Do you think if CGC had known that these books came from CCS that they would open this can of worms and put pressable defects in the grading notes? It seems that the books were treated impartially. At least with this example.

If the books were not treated impartially (as some are contending) and there was some sort of inner communication that books in the grader's hands were coming from CCS, don't you think the books would be sent back to Matt to finish the job properly?

Nail on the head.

Anyone have a "crushed" book they can post? I'd be interested to see that.
As a follow up, my post from three years ago wasn't specifically questioning Roy if a book showed "crushed" on a CGC label, but that I had never seen this term used on a label or notes in any case. A year or so back someone posted pics of a pressing gone wrong(I think an early Silver Surfer squarebound) that was absolutely crushed/disfigured), but I was wondering how this term was used otherwise.

I've seen books where the spine was kind of pointed, rather than rounded after a press, but I'm not sure that is the same a a book being crushed.