• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Pressing Question

114 posts in this topic

I bought a press about 4 years ago and it has sat in the corner for 3. Just didn't have the time to learn. But this winter I have had some extra time on my hands so I'm willing to learn. PM'd a couple of people to try to get some insight, but you got...shot down. :facepalm: I really can't say I blame them for trying to protect their business and interests, but what gets me :frustrated: is when someone else gets on these boards and starts :censored: about "amateurs "and all the "ruined books" that will flood the market. I, like you, only want to do my own books. I don't have the time to start another business. So in the mean time I will live by trial and error until I get the results I want and any expensive books will go to joeypost. (thumbs u

I don't post much but there is wealth of knowledge on these boards.

I have realized that most of that knowledge comes from about 10% of the people here. The other 90% you could put their common sense in a small box.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

lol

:applause:

You may be really shocked by all the other restoration that can still get a blue label that is going on. It is really quite a shame, but it is the new world post CGC :sorry:

I'm quite interested in this - care to enlighten me??

+1

Wow. Just...wow. :eyeroll:

Any thread I tried to pull up that would help shed light on your question gets "Access Denied".

The thread where, after several years of heated debates, CGC admitted disassembly and reassembly of a comic "might not be counted as restoration"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold...the actual books"... Access denied

I'm not even going to bother with paper-tucking reattachments or vintage staple swaps. Odds are those threads don't exist anymore either.

So never mind. Nothing to see here. Blue is blue, that's all the due diligence you need. (thumbs u

So let's translate, shall we...

Remove, redact, sanitize, censor or digitally erase information for the purpose of selective disclosure so that it cannot be distributed to or influence a newer audience.

You're spot on, Kevin. Information disseminating be damned.

The debate is turning one-sided as more and more informational threads that provide insight are being eliminated from public view.

Here are a few more threads that have received the Coe Cover-Up:

"Jason Ewert gets busted trimming comics and gets banned by CGC"... Access denied

"Tom Brulato's first board appearance"... Access denied

"Timely vs Metro..." Access denied

"CGC employees are not allowed to..." Access denied

:whistle:

You may be really shocked by all the other restoration that can still get a blue label that is going on. It is really quite a shame, but it is the new world post CGC :sorry:

I'm quite interested in this - care to enlighten me??

+1

Wow. Just...wow. :eyeroll:

Any thread I tried to pull up that would help shed light on your question gets "Access Denied".

The thread where, after several years of heated debates, CGC admitted disassembly and reassembly of a comic "might not be counted as restoration"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold...the actual books"... Access denied

I'm not even going to bother with paper-tucking reattachments or vintage staple swaps. Odds are those threads don't exist anymore either.

So never mind. Nothing to see here. Blue is blue, that's all the due diligence you need. (thumbs u

So let's translate, shall we...

Remove, redact, sanitize, censor or digitally erase information for the purpose of selective disclosure so that it cannot be distributed to or influence a newer audience.

You're spot on, Kevin. Information disseminating be damned.

The debate is turning one-sided as more and more informational threads that provide insight are being eliminated from public view.

Here are a few more threads that have received the Coe Cover-Up:

"Jason Ewert gets busted trimming comics and gets banned by CGC"... Access denied

"Tom Brulato's first board appearance"... Access denied

"Timely vs Metro..." Access denied

"CGC employees are not allowed to..." Access denied

Talking about access capability, have any of you guys gone into "My Stuff" to check on the history of your own posts? I just tried to get in there and I only have access to my last 4 pages or only my last 100 posts. This number used to be a lot higher than that before. hm

A few months ago, CGC made a slip up for a short while there and I was able to access my own posts all the way back to when I first started here in 2003 or so. It was fun to see all of my old comments on the Jason Ewert trimming issue, Borock's eventual admission that pressing was okay as it was really nothing more than maximiazation of potential, his classic post that "disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself is not considered to be restoration", etc. Back to the good old days for a short while there. lol

I've always found it a lot easier to copy and paste, as opposed to writing a response from scatch again. Oh well, I guess it's all in the interests of progress to limit access as much as possible. :P

While I may be firmly in the "pro-Pressing" camp, I'm rather troubled by how the history of the debate has been redacted and archived into nothingness. I'm all for people making an informed decision on which side of the issue they care to be on, but that's rather difficult to do when some of the most enlightening threads from the last decade are unavailable for those new to the topic to access. I understand that some of the threads may paint CGC in a less then flattering light, but in an era of corporate denial and irresponsibility, it would've been nice if the company that advertised itself as the one looking out for collector's interests, could've taken the Road Less Traveled when it came to preserving the accuracy of it's own message board archives. What would it have hurt?

While I may be firmly in the "pro-Pressing" camp, I'm rather troubled by how the history of the debate has been redacted and archived into nothingness. I'm all for people making an informed decision on which side of the issue they care to be on, but that's rather difficult to do when some of the most enlightening threads from the last decade are unavailable for those new to the topic to access. I understand that some of the threads may paint CGC in a less then flattering light, but in an era of corporate denial and irresponsibility, it would've been nice if the company that advertised itself as the one looking out for collector's interests, could've taken the Road Less Traveled when it came to preserving the accuracy of it's own message board archives. What would it have hurt?

Apparently what it would hurt is the illusion that Blue "Universal" means unaltered. Less information allows many collectors to make that assumption on their own. And keep in mind you're dealing with marketing that feared terms like "very fine minus" and "near mint minus". Terms too "negative" might cloud buyer's minds, or something.

Anyway, marketplace reality is there are two labels: altered with additives (Purple) and altered without additives (Blue). But nobody selling wants buyers thinking like that.

I'm in the "pressing isn't restoration" camp simply because every other form of improving appearance either adds to the comic (color touch, filler pieces), or takes away (trimming).

I know this argument has been made a thousand times, but if a comic was tightly packed for years and it "pressed" out some structure flaws has the comic been restored?

Pressing is taking the comic back to its prior state. Trimming, color touch and fill pieces make the comic look like it's in its prior state. Is removing pencil lead restoration?

I'm in the "pressing isn't restoration" camp

Pressing is taking the comic back to its prior state.

As in "restoring" it to its prior state? hm

What about removing water stain? Is that?

What is the process for doing that?

I don't know....dry eraser? silly putty?

I doubt either of those can remove water stains. I can't see how you could do so without chemically altering the surface, if you can do it at all.

I'm glad we worked that out before I dropped my books in a bucket. Phew!

I doubt either of those can remove water stains. I can't see how you could do so without chemically altering the surface, if you can do it at all.

I'm glad we worked that out before I dropped my books in a bucket. Phew!

I'm here for you.

By that reasoning color touch would NOT be restoration since it's not restoring it to its previous state.

Now THIS is more like I remember way back in 2009... :grin:

Yikes - 8000 posts, it's taken me 8 years to get this far... :o

By that reasoning color touch would NOT be restoration since it's not restoring it to its previous state.

The point is the understood definition of restoration for collectibles actually doesn't match the literal definition.

If you take a classic car, grind down and cut out the rust, patch the body and repaint it you're "restoring" the car. But are you actually restoring it to its original state? No. You're cutting and filling holes and replacing the old paint with totally different paint.

So let's agree that "restoration" by comic definition is actually "alteration" from its original state. Pressing is actual literal restoration (not the collectible definition) in that you're removing structural flaws without adding to, or taking away. It's analogous to hammering out the dents in an old car where the body and paint remain all original.

The point is the understood definition of restoration for collectibles actually doesn't match the literal definition.

If you take a classic car, grind down and cut out the rust, patch the body and repaint it you're "restoring" the car. But are you actually restoring it to its original state? No. You're cutting and filling holes and replacing the old paint with totally different paint.

So let's agree that "restoration" by comic definition is actually "alteration" from its original state. Pressing is actual literal restoration (not the collectible definition) in that you're removing structural flaws without adding to, or taking away. It's analogous to hammering out the dents in an old car where the body and paint remain all original.

:popcorn:

I consider restoration to be restoring a comic to it's original appearance, which would include colour touch and pressing. Obviously there is a vast difference in the severity of the different types of restoration though.

I don't think anyone can remove water stains. Once those tide lines are in the paper the only thing that I know of that will remove or reduce them is a wash, which is relatively easy to detect.