• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Pressing Question

114 posts in this topic

It's a fair thought and something you should look at doing with patience if you feel the way you do. I've been pressing and dry cleaning my own comics for years. I find that it's a great way to leverage my collection as I don't pay ridiculous prices for comics and learnt how to pick out that perfect candidate that has excellent eye appeal with just the right flaws for pressing. It's my own personal preference in the way I collect. I've had comics increase from 7.0 to 9.2 by finding the right comic and it's saved me hundreds and at times thousands.

I liken it to a good baseball player. You may have the right bat but it takes practice and technique to hone the skills and knowledge over time.

I guess the moral to my post is that you really can save a lot of money if you just take the time to learn for yourself. I always asked myself, "why fill the pockets of other people when I can learn myself"?

Knowledge is power. Sounds cliche' but it's true.

And thanks to you as well Red Hood for another adult response to my question - So in a nutshell, while pressing comics may not always be benificial, a person could with relative ease buy their own machine, and learn the technique. Although in doing so you would tend to upset greatly the monopoly's (understandable, i'm a capitalist). Some here tend to think that pressing is a terrible thing if undisclosed, I agree. But who would'nt disclose it? It doesen't sound like it's that big of a deal. Isn't the point of pressing to enhance a comic? Of course I would disclose it. Somebody here suggested "yet another amature" What an un-itelligent statement. First of all, a person who has done thousands of presses and is a master at it would have at some point been "an amature" Secondly when does one become a "non-amature? When he has honed his skills and learned the process? Thirdly who would be stupid enough to self teach yourself? especially with any sort of valuble comics. Last time I looked there are still boxes upon boxes of comics that can be had for around a nickle a piece. Ah, I think I would start with them. But thanks for stating the obvious!!!

I don't know if this has ever been disscussed on the boards before (can't imagine it hasn't been) but why don't people just press comics themselves? I for one would love to get a large number of my books pressed. I've submitted far to many books to CGC that have came back at 8.5's, and it just kills me to think that I may have been able to press them out to at least a 9.0. But, at $55 and up per book, not to mention the extended waiting times, I guess the thought has crossed my mind more than once to just learn and press the books myself. Am I missing something? Is the pressing machine that the pro's use like $10,000 dollars or something? Is it some kind of fine art that few of us would be able to learn? I went out and purchased a nice scanning machine so that I could scan my books. Why wouldn't I go out and purchase a nice pressing machine, if it economically made sense, and learn how to press my books. I guess I could understand if the machine was horribly expensive, but how much money would it cost to have 50 mildly expensive books pressed? at least $5,000 that's how much. This is not a knock against the businesses that press books. I have used their services many times and have had nothing but great experience's. But jeezz. Thoughts? Am I crazy? or missing something?

I will give you my honest opinion on your question. There are actually a lot of people on this message board that do in fact press their own books. The equipment is not that expensive.

Now that pressing comics has evolved into a profession he's going to have a very rough time getting any details in the comic book community.

While he could learn, requesting info will be met with an attitude that he's pizzing in someone else's rice bowl. Unlike early fandom where he could've paid for classes and been taught by the best in the biz.

Seems like threads that contain any specifics about flattening techniques are scrubbed fairly quickly around here.

Thanks Davenport - Your brief sentances said alot. i think I get it now.

Just put it at the bottom of a heavy pile of books.
I got a HC of an alternative comic from paperbackswap.com. I got it for free and it had a cover price of $30 and was not the kind of thing that popped up on eBay so I was glad to have it, but the cover had bowed out on both sides like a dome. Making it sit all open. I don't know if moisture caused it or storage or if it was just bound too tight. I put it in my longbox after reading and forgot about it. It's been a few years now but when I dug it up to put on my bookshelf, it's in perfect condition and the front and back cover are as flat as can be :)

I bought a press about 4 years ago and it has sat in the corner for 3. Just didn't have the time to learn. But this winter I have had some extra time on my hands so I'm willing to learn. PM'd a couple of people to try to get some insight, but you got...shot down. :facepalm: I really can't say I blame them for trying to protect their business and interests, but what gets me :frustrated: is when someone else gets on these boards and starts :censored: about "amateurs "and all the "ruined books" that will flood the market. I, like you, only want to do my own books. I don't have the time to start another business. So in the mean time I will live by trial and error until I get the results I want and any expensive books will go to joeypost. (thumbs u

I don't post much but there is wealth of knowledge on these boards.

I have realized that most of that knowledge comes from about 10% of the people here. The other 90% you could put their common sense in a small box.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

I bought a press about 4 years ago and it has sat in the corner for 3. Just didn't have the time to learn. But this winter I have had some extra time on my hands so I'm willing to learn. PM'd a couple of people to try to get some insight, but you got...shot down. :facepalm: I really can't say I blame them for trying to protect their business and interests, but what gets me :frustrated: is when someone else gets on these boards and starts :censored: about "amateurs "and all the "ruined books" that will flood the market. I, like you, only want to do my own books. I don't have the time to start another business. So in the mean time I will live by trial and error until I get the results I want and any expensive books will go to joeypost. (thumbs u

I have realized that most of that knowledge comes from about 10% of the people here. The other 90% you could put their common sense in a small box.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

Amen Brother.................Well Said.

It's a fair thought and something you should look at doing with patience if you feel the way you do. I've been pressing and dry cleaning my own comics for years. I find that it's a great way to leverage my collection as I don't pay ridiculous prices for comics and learnt how to pick out that perfect candidate that has excellent eye appeal with just the right flaws for pressing. It's my own personal preference in the way I collect. I've had comics increase from 7.0 to 9.2 by finding the right comic and it's saved me hundreds and at times thousands.

I liken it to a good baseball player. You may have the right bat but it takes practice and technique to hone the skills and knowledge over time.

I guess the moral to my post is that you really can save a lot of money if you just take the time to learn for yourself. I always asked myself, "why fill the pockets of other people when I can learn myself"?

And thanks to you as well Red Hood for another adult response to my question - So in a nutshell, while pressing comics may not always be benificial, a person could with relative ease buy their own machine, and learn the technique. Although in doing so you would tend to upset greatly the monopoly's (understandable, i'm a capitalist). Some here tend to think that pressing is a terrible thing if undisclosed, I agree. But who would'nt disclose it? It doesen't sound like it's that big of a deal. Isn't the point of pressing to enhance a comic? Of course I would disclose it. Somebody here suggested "yet another amature" What an un-itelligent statement. First of all, a person who has done thousands of presses and is a master at it would have at some point been "an amature" Secondly when does one become a "non-amature? When he has honed his skills and learned the process? Thirdly who would be stupid enough to self teach yourself? especially with any sort of valuble comics. Last time I looked there are still boxes upon boxes of comics that can be had for around a nickle a piece. Ah, I think I would start with them. But thanks for stating the obvious!!!

You're welcome, HemiGTX. I would be happy to discuss the process with you in private if you're truly interested in enhancing your comics. A press can be had for only a few hundred dollars and they are always available on eBay. Don't worry about the issue of ethics with disclosing as that is a whole different area that gets away from your question in this thread. Like you, I believe disclosing is important if you ever sell a comic you press but if you just simply want to save money while collecting and you're objective is collecting high grade, it's the best way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

Amen Brother.................Well Said.

I'd be happy to share how to do it when I have time. I think if more people did it themselves the playing field of the hobby would be leveled much more nicely.

I realise that your comment about adult responses may be a dig at my earlier post.

I think that you may be a bit naive about non disclosure of pressed books. If you did a search through the boards for pressing threads, you'll see that disclosure of pressing has been one of the most hotly debated topics here ever.

You also ask who would be stupid enough to teach themselves? I think you'd be surprised by how many would. I'm at least pleased to hear that you have a stack of cheap comics to practice on as you'd probably also be surprised at how many good books have been damaged through amateur pressing, various examples have been seen on the boards over the years.

If you're determined to do it, I'm at least relieved that you seem to want make sure you can do it properly before you try anything on vintage books.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

If you have a press, screw asking people for help,actually most are pretty clueless on the whole process. You are better off going to the local comic store, buying 100 books out of the quarter bin and experimenting. It takes an IQ of above 90 to be able to figure out what is a pressing candidate versus what is not. As a general guide, it the color is broken, it may not be a good candidate. Once you do the 100 book, add defects to them and repeat. Do this for (thumbs u a few months and you will get the hang of it. At the end of the exercise, you will be able to press better than half the people doing it.

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

If you have a press, screw asking people for help,actually most are pretty clueless on the whole process. You are better off going to the local comic store, buying 100 books out of the quarter bin and experimenting. It takes an IQ of above 90 to be able to figure out what is a pressing candidate versus what is not. As a general guide, it the color is broken, it may not be a good candidate. Once you do the 100 book, add defects to them and repeat. Do this for (thumbs u a few months and you will get the hang of it. At the end of the exercise, you will be able to press better than half the people doing it.

Simple but true. :preach:

You're welcome, HemiGTX. I would be happy to discuss the process with you in private if you're truly interested in enhancing your comics. A press can be had for only a few hundred dollars and they are always available on eBay. Don't worry about the issue of ethics with disclosing as that is a whole different area that gets away from your question in this thread. Like you, I believe disclosing is important if you ever sell a comic you press but if you just simply want to save money while collecting and you're objective is collecting high grade, it's the best way to go.

Thanks again Red Hood. I just might take you up on that. My thoughts about pressing and saving some money, were for the exact purpose of my own personal high grade collection of one particular title. I am not a dealer, I maybe sell 3 comics a year on ebay, none of which are ever over $100, or pressed, and the books I've thought about pressing are not even that particularly that expensive, and will never be sold by me. Like you my thoughts just naturally gravitated towards buying a machine and learning how to do it myself. Yes, I guess the question that I'm asking myself is why would I spend hundreds or thousands of dollars having somebody else press my books when I am fairly confident that it could be learned fairly-easily. Not to mention the fact that, like Vintage Comics had stated, anytime my precious comics are not in my hands, I'm nervous. No comic guy would purposely destroy a mans prized comic. But are you telling me that anybody but yourself is going to be as careful as you would be? I guess some people on these boards do not think very highly of themselves or at least are not very confident. I don't know jack about pressing comics except one thing, it's not rocket science. I'm pretty sure it's a very simple process and most would be able to do it quite easily with some teaching and practice. And believe me I'm going to be careful with my books. Many people already do it now with no troubles it seems. If that youtube video is even remotly close to the real process, then it looks like it takes all of about 2 minutes to do. Thanks once again Red Hood, your the man, and don't be surprised if your PM box gets a request.

Thanks again Red Hood. I just might take you up on that. My thoughts about pressing and saving some money, were for the exact purpose of my own personal high grade collection of one particular title. I am not a dealer, I maybe sell 3 comics a year on ebay, none of which are ever over $100, or pressed, and the books I've thought about pressing are not even that particularly that expensive, and will never be sold by me. Like you my thoughts just naturally gravitated towards buying a machine and learning how to do it myself. Yes, I guess the question that I'm asking myself is why would I spend hundreds or thousands of dollars having somebody else press my books when I am fairly confident that it could be learned fairly-easily. Not to mention the fact that, like Vintage Comics had stated, anytime my precious comics are not in my hands, I'm nervous. No comic guy would purposely destroy a mans prized comic. But are you telling me that anybody but yourself is going to be as careful as you would be? I guess some people on these boards do not think very highly of themselves or at least are not very confident. I don't know jack about pressing comics except one thing, it's not rocket science. I'm pretty sure it's a very simple process and most would be able to do it quite easily with some teaching and practice. And believe me I'm going to be careful with my books. Many people already do it now with no troubles it seems. If that youtube video is even remotly close to the real process, then it looks like it takes all of about 2 minutes to do. Thanks once again Red Hood, your the man, and don't be surprised if your PM box gets a request.

You're welcome, HemiGTX. Maybe I'll post a video on the step by step process I use. ( Much better then that person that made his own in a cave, that was funny. It's a lot easier then people discuss on these boards. Don't be shy to send a message for more details if you're serious about learning.

You're welcome, HemiGTX. Maybe I'll post a video on the step by step process I use. ( Much better then that person that made his own in a cave, that was funny. It's a lot easier then people discuss on these boards. Don't be shy to send a message for more details if you're serious about learning.

:popcorn:

Just my 2 cents.

rantrant

(thumbs u Exactly.... If I ruin my own books who cares? They're mine and I can put them through a shredder if I want

As one who has been away from the Boards for most of the past two years, I'm fairly amazed how far the Pressing debate has advanced. I never thought I'd see the day when the purchasing of actual presses would be discussed so openly.

I almost feel sorry for the pressing is resto crowd as that train seems to have long left the station. Oh I know that more pressings won't change their position about the resto aspect, but it's gotta hurt to see so many folks discussing actually doing it themselves. My 'ol buddy RedHook would be having a conniption about now...

And, it seems there is a new breed of Noobie (a fair number in this thread) who are not afraid to take on the "Establishment"...Interesting times...

As one who has been away from the Boards for most of the past two years, I'm fairly amazed how far the Pressing debate has advanced. I never thought I'd see the day when the purchasing of actual presses would be discussed so openly.

I almost feel sorry for the pressing is resto crowd as that train seems to have long left the station. Oh I know that more pressings won't change their position about the resto aspect, but it's gotta hurt to see so many folks discussing actually doing it themselves. My 'ol buddy RedHook would be having a conniption about now...

And, it seems there is a new breed of Noobie (a fair number in this thread) who are not afraid to take on the "Establishment"...Interesting times...

I guess it was inevitable, there was money to be made and that overrides all else for many, even some who initially were against pressing.

There is probably less railing against it now as some of those who spoke out against it have just got out of collecting high grade comics as they didn't like where it was going.

It is still pretty underground in reality but you are right, train has left the station. I think it will stay underground because pressed books do not command the same price as their unpressed counter parts. Supposed unpressed books have the "potential" to be pressed into a higher grade so you can get more interest. Most people either don't care whether it is restoration or not as long as the book ends up in a blue label. You may be really shocked by all the other restoration that can still get a blue label that is going on. It is really quite a shame, but it is the new world post CGC :sorry: