• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

All i know is that i'm happy sitting on my 16 complete runs. I bought them at cover they're now worth more than cover. If i were to sell them then i'd reap rewards. If i had sold them in january/ february i would have made a bunch of cash. I'd still rather have 2 short boxes of them in the corner. That's just me though.

All i know is that i'm happy sitting on my 16 complete runs. I bought them at cover they're now worth more than cover. If i were to sell them then i'd reap rewards. If i had sold them in january/ february i would have made a bunch of cash. I'd still rather have 2 short boxes of them in the corner. That's just me though.

+ 1 (thumbs u

Don't get me wrong I love Y but this book has way more potential. Just imagine (and he's talked about it) him releasing action figures and the amount of other merchandise that he could release.

Saga is special and it has nearly doubled the first issue sales after only 13 issues. There is no scheduled end so this book can continue to climb and climb in popularity.

Not to mention the awards it has won and the critical acclaim it continues to enjoy.

I love the debate going on in this thread. I'm a big Y fan as well and part of the reason why I began reading Saga was because of BKV. I do feel that the writing is on the same level as Y. I enjoy(ed) reading both. Will Saga end up as Preacher, Y The last man or Sandman? Great books but don't have as much value in the secondary market? Maybe. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do disagree that this is a niche book though. Can we even say that when the print run is at 60k? In addition, someone mentioned that the trade has sold over 100k copies.

It's getting tougher to define a niche book these days. I interpret this phrase as defining a book that only appeals to a small segment of the market. The problem is that as print runs of individual titles drop more titles are springing up and parity is developing. The gap between niche books and mainstream is narrowing. It's an interesting development that appears to be happening across the entertainment industry. It appears this trend will continue with future generations as the internet and technology in general allows niche markets to become more mainstream. Personally, I think it is a good thing as works that I consider entertaining are becoming more easily accessible.

Tell this to the guys holding boxes of The Sixth Gun.

The difference is the guy with a box of sixth gun is screwed since the show got cancelled. Saga's hype isnt based on a show. Just the quality of the book.

The difference is the guy with a box of sixth gun is screwed since the show got cancelled. Saga's hype isnt based on a show. Just the quality of the book.

Secondary market value is not based on the quality ofthe book. :gossip:

Sad but true. Especially in the Modern era... All those books that are mentioned above (Y, Preacher, Sandman) are amazing reads and all of them contain some of the best storylines in the history of the medium, but I don't think they will ever retain a value in the secondary market unless they setup a franchise.

Look at all the Marvel and DC books/movies. TWD. Hellboy. If there isn't hope for a franchise, the book probably won't retain it's value

I really wish secondary value was a result of the quality of the book. It would be nice.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean. How is quality not the driving factor? If TWD wasn't a quality book, then there wouldn't be a show. Granted you have things like ASM 194 being driven by the move, but if the character created hadn't had potential, then the book wouldn't be selling.

NICE! 16 RRPs is impressive indeed!

I really wish secondary value was a result of the quality of the book. It would be nice.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean. How is quality not the driving factor? If TWD wasn't a quality book, then there wouldn't be a show. Granted you have things like ASM 194 being driven by the move, but if the character created hadn't had potential, then the book wouldn't be selling.

Dude, it happens more often than not. There is no correlation between the quality of the book and the secondary market. When you say a book is selling are you referring to the primary or secondary market? How are the vast majority of newly released books selling on the secondary market? How do you explain most GA or SA books which, for the most part, do not compare to the modern equivalent for art or story. At least not in relevance to modern day.

Look at the secondary market for video games as an example. Does the 1st Mario compare in any way to the latest version for gameplay, graphics etc. Maybe not the best comparison but you see what I'm talking about.

Look at some of the longest running series. Was ASM always good? No, but it always sold.

Edited by Branget

And as for your TWD example before the show #1 was selling for less than Saga #1 is selling for now.

Bingo. Exactly what I was talking about above. Without the franchise (TV show, toys, movie, video games) Saga will never take off like TWD has.

And don't get me wrong people. Saga is my favorite book right now.

In this case, some of it is.

Re: Secondary Marketing & Series Quality

preface: I enjoy Saga greatly & see it getting bigger with fans with readership / cosplay increasing, especially with merchandise possibly forthcoming.

I agree that secondary market pricing does not relate directly to quality and relies more on speculation with outliers being 'registry' completists.

The Sixth Gun was a good example. It's rise & fall due to TV news.

There is no correlation between the quality of the book and the secondary market.

There's never full correlation, but to say there's no correlation is wrong. Sure, some books are pure hype, and some books are weak first appearances of characters that later became great, but the 75 year history of the hobby is littered with books that have separated themselves based on quality.