• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

I think in this case, the hype doesnt have to neccecarily come from tv shows/movie deals. I think that one of the things that we all love about saga, is its a comic book made specifically for fans of comic books. (The references to D. Oswald heighst's work influencing alana profoundly, the inside "writers" jokes, the epic space opera on nearly the same scope as star wars.) This is a comic for comic fans. And I think that sales have reflected that. With no tv show, movie, or cartoon to hype the book, and In todays market, 70,000 issues sold is nothing to scoff at. Some of us "obsessives" are buying them for collcection and investment, but alot of people are reading these, and connecting with them.

Walking dead issues were still relatively cheap before AMC announced the tv show, and now kirkmans licensing the series to everything from cars to clothes, to action figures. So naturally there would be a collector market for individual issues.

But saga built this hype on its own. And it really built after the first few issues were released and people saw what we were working with here. Does anybody else remember a series that was fetching these kind of prices for a slabbed 9.8 first issue only 12 months after it came out? I personally dont. And coupled with the amazing story and acessable art, I think saga is in for the long haul. Whether it gets syndicatedto tv or made into a movie.

And on that note, Y the last man was recently optioned for a movie, with vaughan basically playing no part in that. Once Y blows up in the theaters (lets face it, no matter who makes it, its a much more original premise than the that hollywood recycles into movies) brian vaughan's going to wonder if he could do e same thing himself, with a story he owns the entire rights to. So far, the only work he outright owns, is saga.

. Does anybody else remember a series that was fetching these kind of prices for a slabbed 9.8 first issue only 12 months after it came out? I personally dont.

There are quite a few actually.

Any other Saga #1 hoarders/collectors out there come across copies that don't have the binary tear? I thought this was a production problem across the whole run (even on my CGC 9.8), but I picked up three first prints today that don't have it at all.

My #1 9.8 has it and I think most all the 2nd-5th prints that I have also have it (I just have one of each).

Saga :cloud9:

I'm glad with all the BS and spec talk that goes on that we still have this title and it has stayed consistently awesome (and on time). I read #13 when it came out and didn't have much to say other than it was too short, leaving me waiting for more next month.

I read Manhattan Projects #13 too and it has also stayed awesome in my book (and Rachel Rising, and Think Tank, and EoW, and TWD, and Clone).

:whatev:

I'm not dead, I've cut way back on my comic reading though. Had to make sacrifices somewhere, because I have other interests. But of the two series I'm going to grab monthly from now on, Saga is one. I'm hoping some items come in by end of month so I can take a picture to show off.

Any other Saga #1 hoarders/collectors out there come across copies that don't have the binary tear? I thought this was a production problem across the whole run (even on my CGC 9.8), but I picked up three first prints today that don't have it at all.

I've seen either 0 or 1 copy without a binary tear. I can't remember for sure.

I've seen either 0 or 1 copy without a binary tear. I can't remember for sure.

:signfunny:

I think in this case, the hype doesnt have to neccecarily come from tv shows/movie deals. I think that one of the things that we all love about saga, is its a comic book made specifically for fans of comic books. (The references to D. Oswald heighst's work influencing alana profoundly, the inside "writers" jokes, the epic space opera on nearly the same scope as star wars.) This is a comic for comic fans. And I think that sales have reflected that. With no tv show, movie, or cartoon to hype the book, and In todays market, 70,000 issues sold is nothing to scoff at. Some of us "obsessives" are buying them for collcection and investment, but alot of people are reading these, and connecting with them.

Walking dead issues were still relatively cheap before AMC announced the tv show, and now kirkmans licensing the series to everything from cars to clothes, to action figures. So naturally there would be a collector market for individual issues.

But saga built this hype on its own. And it really built after the first few issues were released and people saw what we were working with here. Does anybody else remember a series that was fetching these kind of prices for a slabbed 9.8 first issue only 12 months after it came out? I personally dont. And coupled with the amazing story and acessable art, I think saga is in for the long haul. Whether it gets syndicatedto tv or made into a movie.

And on that note, Y the last man was recently optioned for a movie, with vaughan basically playing no part in that. Once Y blows up in the theaters (lets face it, no matter who makes it, its a much more original premise than the that hollywood recycles into movies) brian vaughan's going to wonder if he could do e same thing himself, with a story he owns the entire rights to. So far, the only work he outright owns, is saga.

+1

I'm not dead, I've cut way back on my comic reading though. Had to make sacrifices somewhere, because I have other interests. But of the two series I'm going to grab monthly from now on, Saga is one. I'm hoping some items come in by end of month so I can take a picture to show off.

WB Brother!