• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

You read the wrong thread? (shrug):grin:

No one tied speculation expectations to BKVs previous work or its value. A majority of posts were guesstimates of print run, and the fact that it would likely be highly ordered and keep value low.

Heheh...I guess we just see what we want to see (including me).

Yes, the print run is referenced a couple of times early on. But these posts are on page 1 and are posted independent of any print run speculation:

Everyone is eyeing SAGA. Im buying this to read not to speculate for prices. Brian K. Vaughn is awesome.

horrible speculation comic but great reading comic.

Why would they say this if not for the $$$ track record of BKV's previous books?

Indeed, by pages 4 and 5, it appears the speculation precedent set by EX MACHINA is a bigger consideration than the print run:

still wonder why you can get ex machina for dirt cheap...maybe saga will spark interest in it.

It'll spark interest in the trades, but I still don't think it will do anything for the singles. The first few Y singles are pricey because BKV was a relative unknown at the time and Y #1 was published at perhaps the lowest point of the direct market in terms of overall comic sales, meaning it was severely under ordered. By the time Ex Machina came out, everyone knew who BKV was and the market was in a better place.

so following that logic, why would this be worth speculating on?

yeah still not getting why everyone knowing who he was made Ex Machina a bust (investment speaking). Was the print run massive?

I think the lesson here is most singles do not appreciate in value. 90% or more of modern back issues will sell at cover or below. Mostly below. It's truly rare that something will explode in value over a long period of time, and when it does it's usually tied to an upcoming movie or tv series.

so odds are then that Saga will be a good read but nothing more.

Most likely. But there's nothing wrong with that at all.

nothing wrong with it, just want to make sure it's not wise to buy more than a reading copy.

It seems to me that BKV is recognized as a good writer, but not one who will cause a book to explode into a mega-hit. Yes, the print run is also a consideration, but his sales record is just as important as well. Speculation expectation appears to be tied to EX MACHINA here, at least. It could have just as easily been tied to YTLM (outside of #1), RUNAWAYS, or any of his other comics work, as well, if someone had brought them up.

You read the wrong thread? (shrug):grin:

No one tied speculation expectations to BKVs previous work or its value. A majority of posts were guesstimates of print run, and the fact that it would likely be highly ordered and keep value low.

Yes, the print run is referenced a couple of times early on. But these posts are on page 1 and are posted independent of any print run speculation:

Everyone is eyeing SAGA. Im buying this to read not to speculate for prices. Brian K. Vaughn is awesome.

horrible speculation comic but great reading comic.

Why would they say this if not for the $$$ track record of BKV's previous books?

Because Vaughan is a good writer? These above posts are made in the context of the print run discussion. Note the above: 'everyone is eyeing Saga'.

You've posted a ton of snippets of posts, but the context gets lost when you do that.

I can tell you that for me, the concern I had was print run. I gave no thought to the previous values of BKVs work. You can see the exact same type of discussion playing out in the 'East of West' thread.

Anyone else want to chime in? Anyone base their Saga buying on the spec history of Vaughan's prior work?

prior to reading Saga #1 i had never heard of BKV

when i started collecting, issue 3 had just come out and i had heard the "Star Wars" talk. being someone who grew up with SW, i went and picked up #1 (5th printing was what was available at the time) and after reading it, fell in love with the book.

I bought Saga because it was BKV and bought 40 copies because it was BKV. I sold approx 1 a week since the series started because it was BKV. I think it was on everyone's radar because it was BKV. I did not buy and slab that many copies because I thought the title would get hot.

Because Vaughan is a good writer? These above posts are made in the context of the print run discussion. Note the above: 'everyone is eyeing Saga'.

I think one interpretation is: "Brian K. Vaughan is a good writer, therefore this book will have a high print run. Unfortunately, the large print run means SAGA will not be a good candidate for speculation."

Another interpretation is: "Brian K. Vaughan is a good writer, but none of his other books (outside of YTLM #1) were worth speculating on. Therefore, SAGA will not be a good candidate for speculation."

I think both can be true.

You've posted a ton of snippets of posts, but the context gets lost when you do that.

The posts are re-posted in their entirety, in order. That was the discussion that took place on pages 4 and 5. It reads to me like the posters are wondering how SAGA will fare relative to EX MACHINA, with no mention of print runs.

And to be fair, context is lost when you slice-and-dice my comments in your posts.

I can tell you that for me, the concern I had was print run. I gave no thought to the previous values of BKVs work. You can see the exact same type of discussion playing out in the 'East of West' thread.

Anyone else want to chime in? Anyone base their Saga buying on the spec history of Vaughan's prior work?

Again, I agree that print run is a major consideration. However, if YTLM, EM, RUNAWAYS had been mega-hits money-wise, and not just critically acclaimed, then people would have speculated a lot more freely with SAGA regardless of the print run. So I think these factors are all connected.

Again, I agree that print run is a major consideration. However, if YTLM, EM, RUNAWAYS had been mega-hits money-wise, and not just critically acclaimed, then people would have speculated a lot more freely with SAGA regardless of the print run. So I think these factors are all connected.

I'm not sold. :grin:

BUT, the one thing we do agree on, the gold rush for the next WD, makes for an interesting thought: if YTLM was released now, in this environment, rather than ten years ago, would it be a big dollar book/run? My guess is yes.

I bought Saga because it was BKV and bought 40 copies because it was BKV. I sold approx 1 a week since the series started because it was BKV. I think it was on everyone's radar because it was BKV. I did not buy and slab that many copies because I thought the title would get hot.

So you were buying regardless?

I'm not sold. :grin:

BUT, the one thing we do agree on, the gold rush for the next WD, makes for an interesting thought: if YTLM was released now, in this environment, rather than ten years ago, would it be a big dollar book/run? My guess is yes.

One example comes to mind, with regards to how a creator's track record influences speculation and therefore, print runs:

RONIN came on the heels of Frank Miller's DD run. Because of the success of the DD run, speculators bet heavily on RONIN...and lost. Because of the financial failure of RONIN, speculators bet lightly on the next Miller project, DKR #1...and lost. They should have bought more. Speculators based their bets on RONIN and DKR not on their respective print runs, but on how the previous Miller project had done on the secondary market. I believe this is always factored in a speculation play, whether we're talking Frank Miller or BKV.

Right now, we're in a speculation frenzy where people are buying everything Image where the track record may not matter (and for most of these new creators, there is NO track record). But this was not the case when SAGA was released. SAGA has helped create this situation, though, and it will not end well for anyone still holding onto generic Image books down the line.

Anyway, I was really responding to what you first posted earlier today about SAGA and speculators:

I don't think anyone had any idea just how good this book was going to be.

If by "good" you mean the quality of the writing, then I think anyone who follows comics SHOULD have had SOME idea. If by "good" you mean how good the $$$ would turn out to be, then no. But there should not have been a question about the writing.

But yes, I do agree that if YTLM was released now, it would be speculated on heavily. Not just for people looking for the next WD, but for people looking for the next SAGA!

So you were buying regardless?

Regardless of speculation? Yes. I likely made a comment at the beginning of the thread saying it was a bad speculative purchase.