• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

I'm reading the first couple of pages for this topic and it seems very few people thought it would be a good investment. I really enjoy reading the first couple of pages for various IMAGE titles to see what people were thinking.

I'm reading the first couple of pages for this topic and it seems very few people thought it would be a good investment. I really enjoy reading the first couple of pages for various IMAGE titles to see what people were thinking.

The print run made people leery. I don't think anyone had any idea just how good this book was going to be.

I knew it would be good, just didn't think it could overcome the print run...live and learn.

PP first few pages is entertaining also, still searching those dollar boxes, same goes for ToT :lol:

Edited by krighton

The print run made people leery. I don't think anyone had any idea just how good this book was going to be.

BKV's track record is solid. The odds were high that this book would be good read. But none of his previous work was ever "hot" (except for maybe a lone issue like YTLM #1), so that's how speculators based the monetary potential of SAGA. If it wasn't for WD exploding because of the TV show and everyone chasing the next WD, I expect SAGA would be acting no differently than YTLM, EX MACHINA, RUNAWAYS, et al had in the past. I don't believe it's the sci-fi angle or relationship angle that has driven SAGA's market. Just fortuitous timing.

Really interesting, right? Definitely makes you realize that none of us have any idea of what we're doing, and that sometimes you just have to wait and see.

BKV's track record is solid. The odds were high that this book would be good read. But none of his previous work was ever "hot" (except for maybe a lone issue like YTLM #1), so that's how speculators based the monetary potential of SAGA..

That's not the case. Read the first pages of the thread, as raybowles did. The sentiment voiced repeatedly was that the book would be good, but it would catch no one by surprise, and the print run would be high. That is how the book was viewed by speculators.

Your comment about the search for the next WD is correct, though. It's added a significant amount of froth to the market.

You should always wait and see. ;)

Yup. Batting average is higher when you wait until the ball is out of the pitcher's hand. :grin:

Less than 8 weeks until 1st pitch. :whee:

That's not the case. Read the first pages of the thread, as raybowles did. The sentiment voiced repeatedly was that the book would be good, but it would catch no one by surprise, and the print run would be high. That is how the book was viewed by speculators.

Your comment about the search for the next WD is correct, though. It's added a significant amount of froth to the market.

I'm not sure how what I said differs much? (shrug) Sounds like pretty much the same thing! I was pointing out *why* I believed speculators didn't think SAGA would be a good investment, despite the previous quality of BKV's work-- because none of those previous titles had caught fire before. Or, specifically, "caught anyone by surprise". Why should this time be any different? I agree the relatively high print run didn't help, but I still believe it was the perception of BKV as a quality writer, but not a surefire moneymaker, that kept most speculators from recognizing SAGA's potential.

Anyway, I just now read the first few pages per your suggestion and it looks like the tone of the posts are consistent with what I thought.

As for how good SAGA is...to me, it's on par with his other long-form series. If it's better, it's not THAT much better. Not so much better that it would explain its current popularity, anyway. It appears we both believe that SAGA has benefited most from collectors' hope of it being the "next WD".

You should always wait and see. ;)

I definitely follow the Branget rule of buy one or two, then waiting until the first arc is finished. I have 2 9.8 #1's and a bunch of raw sets. Much more efficient in the long haul than buying 50 copies of every new Image #1...

Edited by ComicsNYC22

Really interesting, right? Definitely makes you realize that none of us have any idea of what we're doing, and that sometimes you just have to wait and see.

Word.

I'm not sure how what I said differs much? (shrug) Sounds like pretty much the same thing! I was pointing out *why* I believed speculators didn't think SAGA would be a good investment, despite the previous quality of BKV's work-- because none of those previous titles had caught fire before. Or, specifically, "caught anyone by surprise". Why should this time be any different? I agree the relatively high print run didn't help, but I still believe it was the perception of BKV as a quality writer, but not a surefire moneymaker, that kept most speculators from recognizing SAGA's potential.

Anyway, I just now read the first few pages per your suggestion and it looks like the tone of the posts are consistent with what I thought.

You read the wrong thread? (shrug):grin:

No one tied speculation expectations to BKVs previous work or its value. A majority of posts were guesstimates of print run, and the fact that it would likely be highly ordered and keep value low.