• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What am I missing about the Marvel Ultimates line?

11 posts in this topic

Okay, I've only read one, a Daredevil/Elektra issue. Seemed okay. So I'm looking in the guide and reading the little blurbs about each issue. Is it me, or are these basically just reprints of the old original issues? It seems like there's nothing different or new about the issues other than the timing of the introductions. I figure I must be missing something since some of these are quite expensive.

Yes, some of them are basically reworkings of the original stories. Looking at it from afar it appears to me that Ultimate Spider-Man is the book that's most like that- just an endless series of newly minted first appearances (I've only read one trade so I could be wrong.) Others, like The Ultimates, are basically reconceptions of the characters.

I can't explain why they're worth a lot of money, but they are good reads- I'll vouch for Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates and Ultimate Fantastic Four at least.

Since I used to buy What If a lot, these kinds of reimagnings work for me if well done.

i thought volume 1 of What If was great, but they never did the one scenario i would have liked best, 'What If Victor Von Doom Had Contacted the Netherworld?' what if he hadn't made that near fatal calculation that resulted in his terrible scarring and descent into madness? the mind staggers.

Stories are fresher than the originals. Don't judge the whole Ultimate Universe by Ultimate Elektra/Daredevil.

Yeah, that one actually started out fairly well... smirk.gif

Really, to each their own. As others have suggested, get a trade (since - quite frankly - not a lot happens in one issue) and read for yourself!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

i thought volume 1 of What If was great, but they never did the one scenario i would have liked best, 'What If Victor Von Doom Had Contacted the Netherworld?' what if he hadn't made that near fatal calculation that resulted in his terrible scarring and descent into madness? the mind staggers.

They actually did do that one. A college-era Victor accepts Richard's assertion that his figures for his machine are flawed, and fixes them. It leads to Doom taking a whole different path in his life.

95076770084.22.GIF