• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Todd McFarlane still claiming ownership rights over Miracle/Marvelman?

31 posts in this topic

I haven't heard a thing regarding Miracleman in some time.

So MARVEL puts out a bunch of Marvelman reprint books, yet They have put out no new material? What gives?

So is MARVEL still fighting with McFarlane or Does MARVEL want to Release the Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman books first before any new material is made? (shrug)

It's clear that Marvel now owns the character, and the original material.

What is less clear is who owns the Moore/Gaiman material. When they wrote their books, they did not have the legal right to do so (unbeknownst to them) so that material remains in legal limbo.

That's my understanding, anyway.

What is less clear is who owns the Moore/Gaiman material. When they wrote their books, they did not have the legal right to do so (unbeknownst to them) so that material remains in legal limbo.

:popcorn:

So,in other words we don't know who actually owns the Moore/Gaiman material :ohnoez:

So,in other words we don't know who actually owns the Moore/Gaiman material :ohnoez:

lol:applause:

I think we will have to wait for public domain before we see the reprinted.

I don't think they can be reprinted but if they belonged to Mick Anglo then isn't that who Marvel bought the rights from so isn't it up to them?

Whole situation is such a mess especially with slightly different laws either side of the pond.

I think we will have to wait for public domain before we see the reprinted.

I don't think they can be reprinted but if they belonged to Mick Anglo then isn't that who Marvel bought the rights from so isn't it up to them?

Whole situation is such a mess especially with slightly different laws either side of the pond.

All this legal makes my brain hurt :ohnoez:

I think the only thing McFarlane owns is the "MiracleMan" name & logo,but not the character hm(shrug):ohnoez:

TODD MCFARLANE: As Obviously Marvel believes they have certain rights to it. I know that I and my lawyers believe we have certain rights. The question is just what can we do to settle it and when can we settle it. One way would be for someone to just give up and say it's not worth it.

The other way would be to sit down and have a meaningful conversation like gentlemen, to find a way so that everyone can win. Not necessarily so either party can win, but for the comic community to win. To figure out a way to get this character back out there and not be a pain in the to the point where people have to look over their shoulder.

I don't know… we'll see where it all sort of ends up. It'll either be much ado about nothing or it'll be a hell of a book someday – the behind the scenes novel of it. "The True Story of Miracleman. Starring Matt Damon!" [laughs] But we'll find out how all that goes. I'm as curious as you are.

Haunted by Comics: Todd McFarlane on Miracleman

A few years old, but it outlines McFarlane's thoughts on the topic. It sounds like he just wants a piece of the business - most probably the toy line.

other_miracleman-statue_packaging_01_dp.jpg

I read an interview with Axel Alsonso in early January (of course I can't find that website at all) and he said that Marvel fully intends to reprint the Moore/Gaiman run and actually finish the Gaiman scripts. He claimed that they would have an announcement sometime this year to that effect. I can't imagine that Marvel would acquire the MM rights just to release reprints of the 50s series. I guess it's just taking time to satisfy Anglo, McFarlane and Gaiman.

I read an interview with Axel Alsonso in early January (of course I can't find that website at all) and he said that Marvel fully intends to reprint the Moore/Gaiman run and actually finish the Gaiman scripts. He claimed that they would have an announcement sometime this year to that effect. I can't imagine that Marvel would acquire the MM rights just to release reprints of the 50s series. I guess it's just taking time to satisfy Anglo, McFarlane and Gaiman.

:applause:

Anglo's dead, but I hope the rest of your post is accurate.

:applause:

Anglo's dead, but I hope the rest of your post is accurate.

Right, he's dead. I'm not sure what happens to IP rights when someone passes but I'm guessing an inheritor needs to be satisfied. My info is based on memory so I claim no accuracy. More like hope.

"Marvelman" and all the 1950/60s L Miller stories & art are 100% owned by Marvel

The "Miracleman" name is owned by Neil Gaiman

However, the Miracleman double-M costume, logo and The Warpsmiths are 100% owned by Garry Leach. Marvel tried to buy them for peanuts and Garry refused.

The Qys are owned by Alan Moore

Alan Davis also owns the rights to his art

Marvel could theoretically re-draw the entire Moore / Gaiman run as Marvelman...

"Marvelman" and all the 1950/60s L Miller stories & art are 100% owned by Marvel

However, the Miracleman double-M costume, logo and The Warpsmiths are 100% owned by Garry Leach. Marvel tried to buy them for peanuts and Garry refused.

Marvel could theoretically re-draw the entire Moore / Gaiman run as Marvelman...

So,in other words:

McFarlane doesn't own anything MiracleMan related hm:ohnoez:

hm Sounds like a mess. Seems like if someone's interested in reading the series they should pop over to the sales forum and pick up that TPB set being offered by some whippersnapper. :/