• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's my CGC AF15 7.0 UK variant worth?

90 posts in this topic

Where do cents copies that have a pence price stamp slapped on the front cover sit in all of this?

In my experience they are generally valued as US copies with the stamp being factored into the grade, depending on how obtrusive it is.

Totally, but I'm saying 70% is still too low in the context of this being a top of census, low population type 1a variant, of a top 3 comic character that recently broke the $1M barrier. The census ratios are more astounding when you consider nearly 1/3 of AF 15's are restored.

That's a matter of markets. :grin:

There might be a few people who are willing to pay more for a "variant". I'm not one of them but they are out there.

For the record I don't believe the UK copies are variants and should be valued equally with the US copies but the market disagrees.

+1

Your best bet to honestly get a feel is to list it on Clink with an asking price 10% over the US 7.0s gpa since its a uk variant highest graded. You might be better off selling it now while its the highest graded pence. You never know maybe you will get 80%+ of the us version. Worth a shot and if doesn't sell, you sit on it.

Now a days all you get from Stan is his signature. I loved that he put "Excelsior" and "Dashing Dan" and also put "Spidey" on this.

This one was signed in '74 12 years after the comic came out. I wonder what the earliest dated signature is for this comic. I think that would make a nice collectible.

Your best bet to honestly get a feel is to list it on Clink with an asking price 10% over the US 7.0s gpa since its a uk variant highest graded. You might be better off selling it now while its the highest graded pence. You never know maybe you will get 80%+ of the us version. Worth a shot and if doesn't sell, you sit on it.

Great advise! I've never sold on Clink before. You can basically just post a comic and wait as long as you want?

Great advise! I've never sold on Clink before. You can basically just post a comic and wait as long as you want?

I never sold on clink before but when I search to buy. I see buy it now with offer options. So if you're in no rush, ask one of the dealers how it works. I see a bunch of books that sit there. Def worth a shot.

Totally, but I'm saying 70% is still too low in the context of this being a top of census, low population type 1a variant, of a top 3 comic character that recently broke the $1M barrier. The census ratios are more astounding when you consider nearly 1/3 of AF 15's are restored.

That's a matter of markets. :grin:

There might be a few people who are willing to pay more for a "variant". I'm not one of them but they are out there.

For the record I don't believe the UK copies are variants and should be valued equally with the US copies but the market disagrees.

Just as I'm not one of those type of buyers who gets strung along by the line that the book presents stronger because it doesn't have Marvel chipping.

I tend to go the route of logical reasoning - i.e. that the book got the grade it did for a reason, so pricing a 5.0 above guide because it presents like a 6 or 7 doesn't wash with me.

And yet, because this is one of those SA keys people prefer with no chipping, those books tend to move well above FMV even when these overvaluation/hyping schemes are used.

So putting aside all the zany marketing tactics a book of this caliber enjoys, I'd still sooner go with a more systematic understanding of what it represents.

In the context of this particular example, the census is the new base line, and FMV and percentages of guide are just one of the many data points used in understanding market interest and demand.

I'd say some form of scarcity index, able to go further than census analysis, would be far more meaningful, able to both apply a formula that reflects a top of census mega-key, and a book with a submission frequency of approximately one universal grade per year since the time CGC opened its doors.

As far as past sales, I have no reason to refute Rick and Nick's opinions on the subject, but I've been able to realize between 125%-200% on type 1a price variants that pale in comparison to this example from an historical perspective.

These were mostly 80's books which, although scarce, attract a higher degree of susceptibility to census shifts than a scarce mega-key from the 60's.

I think the census numbers on pence copies of key books will rise as a percentage in the census. F_T's site takes a lot of the guesswork, fear & cost out of the submission process for UK collectors. I'd suspect it will have an impact on the census numbers - ease of use is important.

Being Canadian it surprises me how little CGC does to manage costs for their international market, I guess they just wait for others to stake out their claims. hm

Personally, I think you got quite a deal. 1 difference in the entire book, a black plate change (on the price).

Who knows, maybe someday it won't be stigmatized and valued at nearly the same as the US edition, which IMHO think it should be.

But what do I know (shrug)

Anyway, it's a gorgeous book (thumbs u

I think the census numbers on pence copies of key books will rise as a percentage in the census. F_T's site takes a lot of the guesswork, fear & cost out of the submission process for UK collectors. I'd suspect it will have an impact on the census numbers - ease of use is important.

Being Canadian it surprises me how little CGC does to manage costs for their international market, I guess they just wait for others to stake out their claims. hm

Certainly an interesting discussion but we're also assuming pence copies aren't found outside of the UK. Interestingly enough, I find with key books there is as much chance of finding one stashed in North American collections. Canada's British roots certainly play a role in finding pence copies in specific provinces and Canadian markets.

Doug Sulipa might have been an interesting reference to gauge UK pence populations because of the sheer size of his inventory, but I think it would also be influenced by demographics, British ancestry, in relation to the population of folks living in Manitoba. My guess is that there would be a stronger French heritage and influence.

On the subject of offering services in European markets, I know that with action figure grading, UKG was born from the frustration of UK-based collectors complaining about the shipping costs associated to sending in their toys to AFA to get graded.

North American perceptions to UKG product is one of relative naivety. The only advantage AFA submitters enjoyed was that they would offer a COA (an extra cost service provided by Tom Derby), which helped the overall FMV of the item. However, UKG's grading/authentication is just as good, and arguably better if you take into account that Tom is no longer with AFA and will now be offering COA's on a limited basis and at a higher cost.

All in all though, when we are talking about a key book in the 5-digits, I can't see the overseas shipping hold-back being too much a contributing factor in explaining low census numbers on UK Amazing Fantasy 15's. I think the fact these were printed in lower numbers is a far more telling explanation.

From reading his market reports in recent OSPG's, Doug Sulipa is quite evangelical regarding UK price variants. He feels that they are true variants, and given their numbers per issue as a proportion of overall print runs bona fide rarities.

My personal preference, (or perhaps prejudice would be more appropriate) is that for an uber key, I would always prefer the cents copy. I have plenty of pence copies in my collection, and am happy to have them. However, when I finally buy an AF15, it will be a cents copy, even if there is a higher grade pence copy available.

The assumption is that there's probably more of them in the UK. Not everyone is comfortable shipping internationally and people do trust their local post office/couriers for domestic - having that local party, familiar with the process, managing it to some extent for you is likely to increase subs from the area.

I would think a local gateway to CGC would see a mix similar to what CGC receives at conventions; more keys from non-members who want to hand off rather than ship to Sarasota.

2c

From reading his market reports in recent OSPG's, Doug Sulipa is quite evangelical regarding UK price variants. He feels that they are true variants, and given their numbers per issue as a proportion of overall print runs bona fide rarities.

My personal preference, (or perhaps prejudice would be more appropriate) is that for an uber key, I would always prefer the cents copy. I have plenty of pence copies in my collection, and am happy to have them. However, when I finally buy an AF15, it will be a cents copy, even if there is a higher grade pence copy available.

Snob :baiting:

Again

Snob :kidaround:

As for the whole variant angle I don't really subscribe - Printed at the same time on the same machine with one plate being swapped over...that's it!

For me cents/pence never really mattered when I first started collecting...coverage was so sketchy I was just glad to be able to pick a series up on a regular basis. When I got back into collecting I found I had a soft spot for the UK priced comics of my childhood. My collection is a real mish/mash of cents/pence issues.

If I ever scraped together the loose change to afford AF15 (never gonna happen) I would go for the highest grade I could afford be it a cents or pence issue!

:sorry:

But seriously, I love my Marvel All Colour Comics and T&P stamps, I would only discriminate for a big key and even then I'm not 100% sure why.

I think it's just that if you are spending big bucks for a single book, you have to keep one eye on possible future resale, and a cents copy will probably have a bigger potential buyer pool, notwithstanding the price differential.

I would certainly never disparage anyone for holding a different view though (thumbs u