• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'm not bidding on any items in the Heritage FEB Auction

176 posts in this topic

There are MANY cheerleaders. Telemundo, Fox, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, Al Jazeera, and whatever else I can't think of right now.

I listen to them all (except Al Jazeera), but I mainly switch back and forth between CNN and FOX. Both lean to one side. Hence my previous statement.

That's about my route though I look at the Huffington Post, too.

Hopefully, my edited Original Post will not be deleted.

Oh, no, it's so nice… :)

To regain (loosely) the road of the topic: it appears shipping costs (besides insurance) of Heritage Auctions depends on the total value of the purchase (or something like that). While it's understandable to see buyer's premium et al. (where the aution house has to earn) I don’t understand the reason for the price differences in shipping charges. Or maybe I have misunderstood? :huh:

In erfence to your post, I remember the first time I bought off of Heritage. I saw a bunch of modern slabbed books in 9.6 grades that were at a starting point of $1.00. No one was bidding on them (for good reason actually as who wants to buy modern 9.6 Batmans and X-Mens). I bid one buck each, just for the hellofit.

I won twelve books! :banana:

Then I got the bill. $1 each, plus the juice. AND 9 bucks EACH for the shipping/handling.

Live and learn.

Ha Ha. That was my first experience with Heritage.

hm With all the discussion of NEWS in this thread, I'll tell you where I stand.

1) I support that great article on the Billy Wright collection in USA Today. (thumbs u

2) I tend to gravitate toward the middle (socially, a tad more Liberal; fiscally a tad more Conservative). Unfortunately, with that red EASY button sitting in front of me during the Heritage live auction my fiscal Conservatism can be subverted. :facepalm:

3) For actual national/international news I prefer CNN overall because they try hard to provide facts without bias. If that suggests to you that I have a certain leaning, then so be it. That's where I am politically and I consider it the middle ground. I know what propaganda is and Faux News epitomizes it.

4) I have genuine compassion for the 99%; until recently that's where I hung my hat.

5) I love these boards and have established many great friends here; I don't give a hoot about anyone's political leanings. I have many Conservative and Liberal friends and like it like that. :headbang:

Hopefully, my edited Original Post will not be deleted.

Oh, no, it's so nice… :)

To regain (loosely) the road of the topic: it appears shipping costs (besides insurance) of Heritage Auctions depends on the total value of the purchase (or something like that). While it's understandable to see buyer's premium et al. (where the aution house has to earn) I don’t understand the reason for the price differences in shipping charges. Or maybe I have misunderstood? :huh:

Hello Vaillant, welcome!

The cost of doing business with Heritage if you are not a US resident is too high for me these days. Even for items of a few hundred dollars (where my purchases usually are) I get hit with $40 or so postage. For more expebnsive items I think you would be paying insurance costs as well (and I think they have to go FedEx, even more expensive). Now that I can't even use a credit card or paypal, I'd have to add bank transaction fees as well. I'm out.

And I love Fox News.

You love blatant propaganda?

It helps balance out the blantant propaganda from the other side.

Then I make up my mind after hearing both.

That is our system here. Many countries just have the one sided blantant propaganda. We have both. :banana:

to do that you have to constantly switch channels to hear both cheerleaders opinions. why not ONE channel that truly IS fair and balanced?

Which might that be, pray tell?

that was my poorly worded question; Why cant there be ONE channel that tells us both sides and lets us decide?

answer: there's no money in it! not juicy enough, not nearly as profitable as giving one side 95% of what they want to hear all the time. thats what Ailes has proved to be a successful formula with Fox. MSNBC is trying to emulate that (half heartedly though, trying to keep their hands as clean as they can, thereby failing in comparison to Fox who doesnt pretend to be trying to fair beyond their slogan). CNN is pretty news oriented and fair but they hark back to the kind of media reporting of decades ago that is now labeled the so called "liberal media" ... the kind or "biased" reporting that CREATED Fox news as the alternate "REAL news.". and thats how we got here.

And I love Fox News.

You love blatant propaganda?

It helps balance out the blantant propaganda from the other side.

Then I make up my mind after hearing both.

That is our system here. Many countries just have the one sided blantant propaganda. We have both. :banana:

Eh. Easier to just turn off the TV and read a variety of (often) reputable publications.

hm With all the discussion of NEWS in this thread, I'll tell you where I stand.

1) I support that great article on the Billy Wright collection in USA Today. (thumbs u

2) I tend to gravitate toward the middle (socially, a tad more Liberal; fiscally a tad more Conservative). Unfortunately, with that red EASY button sitting in front of me during the Heritage live auction my fiscal Conservatism can be subverted. :facepalm:

3) For actual national/international news I prefer CNN overall because they try hard to provide facts without bias. If that suggests to you that I have a certain leaning, then so be it. That's where I am politically and I consider it the middle ground. I know what propaganda is and Faux News epitomizes it.

4) I have genuine compassion for the 99%; until recently that's where I hung my hat.

5) I love these boards and have established many great friends here; I don't give a hoot about anyone's political leanings. I have many Conservative and Liberal friends and like it like that. :headbang:

:applause:

I've been trying to understand how an on-topic discussion about the influx of easy money into the Macro Economy has filtered into the current Heritage Auction and the near term consequences it will have on the market -- has swerved into which government approved news conduit is more accurate. :insane:

Which brings me to the conclusion that like comic book collectors, most of society lives in a fantasy world. In this world, everything is going to be alright. At least until sometime after I die peacefully in the night of old age.

I've been trying to understand how an on-topic discussion about the influx of easy money into the Macro Economy has filtered into the current Heritage Auction and the near term consequences it will have on the market -- has swerved into which government approved news conduit is more accurate. :insane:

Which brings me to the conclusion that like comic book collectors, most of society lives in a fantasy world. In this world, everything is going to be alright. At least until sometime after I die peacefully in the night of old age.

You would have less trouble figuring this out if you were an existentialist. (thumbs u

Peace, bro. :foryou:

(thumbs u

Just sad to see the discussion delve into which news provider is best. I thought that the Gold Forum was more resistant to that type of topic shift. Otherwise, the original discussion of current economic forces and its impending effect on the collectibles market is one that I am greatly interested in following.

Final word on the news thing:

A decade and change ago, all the major networks were getting hammered by CNN's around-the-clock coverage and needed a ratings boost. Simultaneous to this they all switched around their budgeting by moving the News Department to reside under their respective Entertainment divisions.

Nothing said on the news on any station should be taken as unbiased because they move to the whim of a different master now: Nielsen.

To all the doomsayers, to all the cheapstakes who are afraid to bid on this auction...go home to MOMMMMY....Breaking news, the economy is recovering, slowly, but recovering.

You could have made the same and better arguments in the early 1980's when we had 18% interest rates on a dead economy. WE SURVIVED. Go ahead sell you choice unrestored GA, in fact do it on Ha.com. or to other board members and then weep years later.

The title of this thead is, not about comics, its about who you are, and if you are afraid to cross the street because the sky is falling. I have news for you, it is never, I repeat never gonna perfect out there...there is always gonna be good and bad parts of the economy and news, so what do you, I say live and enjoy....... or you can wait until you are stuck in a wheelchair at a old folks home before you go on your first vacation.

To all the doomsayers, to all the cheapstakes who are afraid to bid on this auction...go home to MOMMMMY....Breaking news, the economy is recovering, slowly, but recovering.

You could have made the same and better arguments in the early 1980's when we had 18% interest rates on a dead economy. WE SURVIVED. Go ahead sell you choice unrestored GA, in fact do it on Ha.com. or to other board members and then weep years later.

The title of this thead is, not about comics, its about who you are, and if you are afraid to cross the street because the sky is falling. I have news for you, it is never, I repeat never gonna perfect out there...there is always gonna be good and bad parts of the economy and news, so what do you, I say live and enjoy....... or you can wait until you are stuck in a wheelchair at a old folks home before you go on your first vacation.

This thread is now complete. :whee:

This thread is now complete. :whee:

No, it is nearing completion but still needs the lock.

So what did you buy from this auction ? Congrats to everybody who got what they wanted btw.

2 wins, lots of bids, still bidding today on a couple of books, might get one of the star rangers, I used own one years ago. Book I regret not getting RR1, went to good home but at 41K plus, he deserved it, theo was after that book too, biggest surprise was DD battles hitler price...that book is going up as I saw one on ebay at 23K or something like that 9.4, billys went over 40K.