• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'm not bidding on any items in the Heritage FEB Auction

176 posts in this topic

. . . Nothing said on the news on any station should be taken as unbiased because they move to the whim of a different master now: Nielsen.

:golfclap:

Or as I like to put it, high fructose corn syrup for the eyes.

More and more people, in particular the young, know exactly what you are describing and have tuned out conventional news sources.

Being a student of linguistics, the coded words and phrases people use reveals where their attention is focused. For instance, the term 'kick the can down the road' or 'global warming\climate change' is code for recognizing a problem exist that threatens all. However, active participation in a solution is discouraged. The unspoken implications of this code is that consumerism can continue unabated -- want to save the planet? Buy a 'green' bag of high fructose corn syrup tator tots. Want to help the economy, spend more money.

Which brings me back to my thesis on the current comic book market place. It has been noted on the other Billy Wright topic that prices are not moving the needle much based on similar previous sales in recent years. Coupled with a juiced up grading system, the world's greatest comic book auction house pulling out all the marketing machinations to stir up interest, along with the illusion that spending U. S. Dollars frivolously is patriotic -- maybe the sky is about to fall.

To all the doomsayers, to all the cheapstakes who are afraid to bid on this auction...
Reallocate your assets for the next Macro Economic correction.

. . .You could have made the same and better arguments in the early 1980's when we had 18% interest rates on a dead economy. WE SURVIVED.

I was a senior in high school when interest rates where 18% in the fall of 1980. I thought my college tuition would be paid for with the interest alone in my savings account. My senior year total cost for college at Indiana U. was $3300!

Anyway . . . you are making a false equivalence argument.

The cost of doing business with Heritage if you are not a US resident is too high for me these days. Even for items of a few hundred dollars (where my purchases usually are) I get hit with $40 or so postage. For more expebnsive items I think you would be paying insurance costs as well (and I think they have to go FedEx, even more expensive). Now that I can't even use a credit card or paypal, I'd have to add bank transaction fees as well. I'm out.

@AJD: Many thanks, this has been the most useful clarification I got so far (HA employees seemed always vague when I asked).

There is still a thing I don’t get: if you spend 200-300 USD on a book(s) it would even be agreeable to have a 35-40 USD postage costs. But after many purchases on eBay and a few from private sellers, I have yet to figure out how those quotes are applied. Recently I bought from ComicConnect, they have an agreement with FedEx and they just made me pay 17USD (insurance would have costed just slightly more), while some sellers charge you 30-35 USD for USPS Priority forms of shipment.

And Mycomicshop wins the lottery: I have already received a few packages of various dimensions, and I spent very little. A puzzle, I guess.

I do not find the Heritage attitude to be exaggerately honest: we aren't (well, at least I am not) zillionaires, so I can’t see why I have to pay arbitrary additional quotes of money on purchased items.

And no credit card and no Paypal? It seems to me we have gone back 20 years.

For all the others: thanks for your warm welcome! :)

I think watching TV is 90% harmful and 10% useful (to be generous).

I recall the only time I came to the US (and saw how your TV was). Now, twenty years later, I can fully understand what the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy were pointing at in 1992. :)

I don't think that Hiphoprisy is a word. What word did you mean to type?

On a side note. My son was at work the other day and a co-worker of his was showing him a new knife he got. My son asked him what type of metal it was made of and the guy said adamantium.

My son laughed and just said, really? That must me very expensive.

Ha Ha

The cost of doing business with Heritage if you are not a US resident is too high for me these days. Even for items of a few hundred dollars (where my purchases usually are) I get hit with $40 or so postage. For more expebnsive items I think you would be paying insurance costs as well (and I think they have to go FedEx, even more expensive). Now that I can't even use a credit card or paypal, I'd have to add bank transaction fees as well. I'm out.

@AJD: Many thanks, this has been the most useful clarification I got so far (HA employees seemed always vague when I asked).

There is still a thing I don’t get: if you spend 200-300 USD on a book(s) it would even be agreeable to have a 35-40 USD postage costs. But after many purchases on eBay and a few from private sellers, I have yet to figure out how those quotes are applied. Recently I bought from ComicConnect, they have an agreement with FedEx and they just made me pay 17USD (insurance would have costed just slightly more), while some sellers charge you 30-35 USD for USPS Priority forms of shipment.

And Mycomicshop wins the lottery: I have already received a few packages of various dimensions, and I spent very little. A puzzle, I guess.

I do not find the Heritage attitude to be exaggerately honest: we aren't (well, at least I am not) zillionaires, so I can’t see why I have to pay arbitrary additional quotes of money on purchased items.

And no credit card and no Paypal? It seems to me we have gone back 20 years.

For all the others: thanks for your warm welcome! :)

I think watching TV is 90% harmful and 10% useful (to be generous).

I recall the only time I came to the US (and saw how your TV was). Now, twenty years later, I can fully understand what the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy were pointing at in 1992. :)

Got my invoice from Heritage today. It states that anything under $2500.00 is allowed to be paid by credit card or PayPal. Just thought you might want to know that.

I'm in the middle portion of the 99%'ers, and I am bidding and buying comic books. :banana: I also have never slept in a park, or asked/demanded money from anyone unless I worked for it. Additionally, I have never peed or pooped on a downtown street or city park (unless it was in a space provided for that type of endeavor).

And I love Fox News. I have that MSPMS channel on block. (thumbs u

(how's that for non-political?)

I confess

I HAVE peed on the street ( though not lately).

But I draw the line at pooping in such places.

My invoice does not reference shipping specifically. What is does state is "service and handling", which includes shipping. They are charging me $14.95 for service and handling, and I find that more than reasonable. This is for two slabbed books.

Mine was $26.95.

It's funny but I find that the shipping costs for Heritage are very reasonable.

Shipping on one or two books is usually less than 10.00.

Shipping costs are reasonable for you becasue your books are getting shipped to Chicago where you live.

Vailant lives outside the USA and as a result, Heritage shipping policy is for everything to go though Fed Ex which can become very costly even for just one book.

What makes it worst and the part that I don't understand is that Heritage also insists on adding in the cost of postage and handling into their Customs declaration amount, resulting in an even higher Cusoms charge when your package crosses the border. :mad:

My invoice does not reference shipping specifically. What is does state is "service and handling", which includes shipping. They are charging me $14.95 for service and handling, and I find that more than reasonable. This is for two slabbed books.

Mine was $26.95.

My shipping and handling was $28.30 for two slabs.

They charge a fee based on the total of the invoice (kind of like a buyer's premium) and then a fee based on what they are shipping (slabs vs.raws vs. boxes vs. OA). Nickels and dimes add up, but what can you do?

Back to the original topic. When you look at the numbers, it's clear that big inflation is on the way. That is unless something drastic is done about entitlement spending. But don't want these cuts, and are afraid to propose these cuts. The amount of money coming in is simply less than the amount of money promised going out. So how are we paying for it? We are simply printing money. And at an alarming rate. So yes, the US dollar won't be worth as much soon. That being said, I draw the opposite conclusion of the original poster. It's good to have less money in cash and more money in high-end collectibles, like the Billy Wright books. Am I wrong?

Now that Greece has become a de facto colony of Germany, the world can turn its attention to the DOW hitting 13,000!

Retail investor: come out, come out, where ever you are! :fear:

This forum was buzzing with economic discussion four years ago. Go back and read your Overstreet Guide Market Reports. Collectibles are not immune to macroeconomics.

My wife and myself have careers that are recession resistant. We will soon have paid off Wells Fargo and will divest to a smaller regional bank that didn't need government intervention to learn what risk management is.

It was at some point last fall I stopped placing my attention on the State controlled news sources and considered the possibly that this is not a typical recession. As this chart represents, the Federal Reserve doesn't view this as a routine recession.

BC_GoldandM1MoneySupplyRoseRapidlySince2008.png

@lou_fine: Thanks. :)

Got my invoice from Heritage today. It states that anything under $2500.00 is allowed to be paid by credit card or PayPal. Just thought you might want to know that.

@conditionfreak: Thanks. Ah, I seemed to recall such a thing. I said that credit card thing because a user previously stated they no longer accept it.

Back to the original topic.

Well, I think we weren’t straying from it. In fact, I managed to bring it back to the issue, which seemed to me to be the policies of Heritage and similar action houses.

Again, we are on a board about comic books collecting, but it helps to think there are non-english speaking persons which read or collect american comics.

Of course, collecting comics is mostly a "commodity" but the sum of shipping costs and occasional custom fees (absurdly high, about a 20% on the declared value, plus a 5-6 USD equivalent as a fixed fee) makes very problematic to purchase golden age comics, especially from dealers which of course they wish to declare the full value and insure the package.

They charge a fee based on the total of the invoice (kind of like a buyer's premium) and then a fee based on what they are shipping (slabs vs.raws vs. boxes vs. OA).

Yes, that’s what I was questioning as inconsistent and highly disputable. I would dare to say not serious, since you already have your "buyer's premium" fees.

Sorry for the "hiphoprisy" misunderstanding, I thought it was a pretty famous videoclip, and I believed that at the time was widely aired. Plus, even if you don’t like this kind of music (I don't) Michael Franti knew how to deliver a vibrant criticism, which in growingly illitterate times comes even more appropriate. ;)