• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image United Interlude - Jam Cover Project

25 posts in this topic

So, admittedly, I'm a huge Image Comics junkie. When Image United was announced, I was stoked. This would be one of the most epic (and delayed) undertakings in the history of comics. The thought of McFarlane, Larsen, Liefeld, Valentino, Silvestri and Portacio putting ink on the same artboard for six issues of Kirkman penned mayhem brought me back to the excitement of Image Comics circa 1992.

I knew that the original artwork for the main IU title would be out of my reach, so when Image United Interlude was solicited, and subsequently cancelled, I made it my mission to get Ryan Ottley's artwork for the planned jam cover, and have it finished as intended by the intended artists:

Jack Staff by Paul Grist

Madman by Mike Allred

Battlestone by Marat Mychaels

Pitt by Dale Keown

imageunitedinterludecov.jpg

After some emails back and forth with Mark Hay, the deal was done, and I was the proud owner of an unfinished cover to an unpublished book (and the blueline art with more detailed silhouettes used for the solicitation art). ;)

iuinterlude.jpgiuinterludebl.jpg

At this point, the real work began (and is still underway). First up, Mr. Paul Grist, and his character Jack Staff. I contacted Paul, and he graciously agreed to add to the piece. The artwork took off across the pond to Paul, who did a fantastic job, and was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

iuinterlude2.jpg

Update 07/03/2012 - Got an email from Simon Miller (Mike Allred's art rep) to let me know that the artwork was done and ready to go! Mike was extremely quick (1 day turnaround) and Simon was great to deal with.

Simon sent me a b&w scan of the artwork, which I've posted, and I'll update with a colour scan when the art is back in my hands.

imageunitedallred.jpg

Next up will be Marat Mychaels (who's already agreed to do Battlestone), and Dale Keown (who I've yet to contact).

I'll continue to update as the project progresses.

Wish me luck!

I'm not usually into "jam" type pieces, but this is a very cool undertaking, given the origin story. Neato! Good luck on getting it buttoned up proper. Should be quite a tale once all told.

+1

Can't wait to see it finished! (and maybe get Kyle to color it too! :))

Thanks, guys!

Marat Mychaels has the cover right now, so hopefully it'll be back in my hands soon, and I can start trying to convince Dale Keown to finish it up.

Here's a full scan I took before it was back in the mail on its way to California:

iuinterludeallred.jpg