• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 227 - Why so expensive/special ?

81 posts in this topic

I decided to revisit my childhood hobby and have started picking up some comics here and there. I was watching with interest the 22 Feb 2012 Heritage Comic Book auction yesterday. Lots of Golden Age books sold and I was not too surprised at the prices they were fetching. However I did not understand why the Batman 227 went for $4780.00. Sure it was graded 9.8 and you will get no argument from me....the cover is a masterpiece. Neal Adams did a superb job on the cover! But I thought $4780.00 was very high. Are there other reasons (besides the awesome cover) that make this book valuable? Just curious....I may have to start digging through my old comic boxes.....I may have the book......although if I do, it is doubtful it would grade out at 9.8. thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to provide to enlighten me about Batman 227......cheers....shadowman

Here's 40 (or 80 depending on your settings) pages of why....

It's a remake of one of the greatest Batman covers of all time (Detective 31) by arguably one of the greatest comic book artists of all time.

(shrug)

Seeing as how the first 227 in 9.8 went for 10k I believe 2 years ago ( or was it last year ?), I'd say $4,780 ain't too bad...wait a couple more years and you can nab one for 2.5k (thumbs u

Classic cover swipe surely explains the demand ( and current high prices )

Seeing as how the first 227 in 9.8 went for 10k I believe 2 years ago ( or was it last year ?), I'd say $4,780 ain't too bad...wait a couple more years and you can nab one for 2.5k (thumbs u

I would love to see the price for 9.8s drop to $2500, but I do not know if it will hit that low with 9.4s going for more than half of that. (shrug)

That being said, right now Adams Batbooks (and GLs) are on a run. My guess is that the movie has a bit to do with that, but as we discussed in another thread, I have a lot of Marvel collectors that buy the Adams DC books as well.

It's a remake of one of the greatest Batman covers of all time (Detective 31) by arguably the greatest comic book artist of all time.

(shrug)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Well, there would be many that would argue with you on that. Guys like Everett, Wood, Wrightson, Eisner and Kirby (and I'm sure there are others like Lou Fine) are all highly revered for their story telling abilities.

It's all eventually going to come down to personal taste in the end.

Didn't we have a vote here recently for the best BA artist and it came down to a draw between Wrightson and Adams?

I would love to see the price for 9.8s drop to $2500, but I do not know if it will hit that low with 9.4s going for more than half of that. (shrug)

That being said, right now Adams Batbooks (and GLs) are on a run. My guess is that the movie has a bit to do with that, but as we discussed in another thread, I have a lot of Marvel collectors that buy the Adams DC books as well.

:whistle:

Let's get back to this in say 3-4 yrs ... ;)

Plenty of SA/BA to pick trend examples from...

It's a remake of one of the greatest Batman covers of all time (Detective 31) by arguably the greatest comic book artist of all time.

(shrug)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Well, there would be many that would argue with you on that. Guys like Everett, Wood, Wrightson, Eisner and Kirby (and I'm sure there are others like Lou Fine) are all highly revered for their story telling abilities.

Didn't we have a vote here recently for the best BA artist and it came down to a draw between Wrightson and Adams?

I know. Just stirring the pot a bit to get the day rolling. :devil:

Oh, I agree that as more 9.8s hit the market the prices for 9.8s will drop, but I don't see it going that low due to the price support of 9.2/9.4/9.6 copies. I view it as being the Adams Batman equivalent to GL #76 re: prices - even though the 9.8 pricing has corrected significantly on that book the 8.0 - 9.6 prices appear to have stabilized at a range that collectors will support the higher 9.8 prices.

FWIW, I personally think that Bats #232 should be a higher priced book than Bats #227 due to its significance, but the market says otherwise for some screwy reason. (thumbs u

(shrug)

Fixed that for you. ;)

That's why it's arguable. Though I don't understand how Neal Adams in your mind is arguably one of the greatest...but that cover IS one of the greatest. Wouldn't that be arguable as well? :baiting:

Oh, I agree that as more 9.8s hit the market the prices for 9.8s will drop, but I don't see it going that low due to the price support of 9.2/9.4/9.6 copies. I view it as being the Adams Batman equivalent to GL #76 re: prices - even though the 9.8 pricing has corrected significantly on that book the 8.0 - 9.6 prices appear to have stabilized at a range that collectors will support the higher 9.8 prices.

FWIW, I personally think that Bats #232 should be a higher priced book than Bats #227 due to its significance, but the market says otherwise for some screwy reason. (thumbs u

I agree. Some books have a lot of upward pressure in lower grades and this is one of those books.

(shrug)

Fixed that for you. ;)

That's why it's arguable. Though I don't understand how Neal Adams in your mind is arguably one of the greatest...but that cover IS one of the greatest. Wouldn't that be arguable as well? :baiting:

Um, because there is more to art than just realism?

:baiting:

Is the story a swipe from Tec 31 .as well? I have about a dozen copies but I'm fairly sure I've never read it. Batbooks from that era just don't do anything for me. The 100 page Batmans and Detectives being the exception to the rule.

(shrug)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Um, because there is more to art than just realism?

:baiting:

That's why it's arguable :baiting:

Is the story a swipe from Tec 31 .as well? I have about a dozen copies but I'm fairly sure I've never read it. Batbooks from that era just don't do anything for me. The 100 page Batmans and Detectives being the exception to the rule.

The problem in answering your question is not that I have never read Batman 227. The problem is that I have never read Detective 31.