• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Batman (New 52) Series

35 posts in this topic

Since there doesn't seem to be one of these threads here, I thought I'd get one started.

Honestly, I had no intention of investing myself in the New 52 based on a handful of previews I read. A lot of seemed like extreme rehashes of the same old set of tropes--visual and narrative. Point Five, however, recommended I give this series a try...and after some delay (around issue 3), I gave it a go.

I'm glad I did.

I'm really impressed with Snyder and Capullo's work on this major flagship level title. I know Capullo had built a name for himself on Spawn (well known) and Snyder still has his original American Vampire series running (not as well known), but ultimately, these guys don't really have BIG names outside of the modern era like an Alex Ross, Mark Waid, George Perez, Jim Lee, etc. And you know what? It's working really well.

Wouldn't it seem smart in a series reboot that you'd want to retell the whole origin story of the hero and the arch-nemesis? Seems pretty safe and predictable to me. Not this issue. What I really love is the way these guys crafted a new villain who's not all that new. Someone comments on the Court of Owls and the Talon as possessing elements of The Cult storyline, and I have to agree with this. It DOES give the reader a look into the underbelly of Gotham... and it's not pretty. Further, it establishes the Court as an entity that's existed long before the Waynes and it makes the reader think the Court will continue after the Waynes. This truly establishes them as a real threat.

And can I just say this Talon looks pretty badazz? :headbang:

Anyhow, I finished up the most recent issue and once again, it left me anxious for the next round. I'm curious what the rest of you think about this title?

I think its the best of the new 52. Its the only one I'm reading and I tried at least half of them including Snyder's Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

Capullo was born to draw Batman. His work on the title is truly stunning. The sequence with the train comes to mind. Just mind blowing. What about the splash page at the end of issue 4? - Dang was that cool. After all the spinning of the book and the descent into madness to have it end like that was incredible.

Its always at the top of my pile.

I think its the best of the new 52. Its the only one I'm reading and I tried at least half of them including Snyder's Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

Capullo was born to draw Batman. His work on the title is truly stunning. The sequence with the train comes to mind. Just mind blowing. What about the splash page at the end of issue 4? - Dang was that cool. After all the spinning of the book and the descent into madness to have it end like that was incredible.

Its always at the top of my pile.

I read mine on my Kindle Fire and it was locked so that I couldn't flip it to read it essentially forcing me to see at as Capullo wanted. I literally said to myself: "This is f--ing crazy!" Bazinga. That was the point.

I seriously love it when an artist is smart enough to drive the narrative with layout and other less overstated elements of the comic.

I'm 100% on board with this thread. I never picked up a DC coming on a regular or monthly basis before the new 52, but I am very glad I started this one. I have also enjoyed Aquaman, and have been ok with Flash and Detective. I'm borderline on Superman and decided to quit Action.

I've been enjoying this series a lot. I think this is the first monthly DC I've read since Sandman in the mid-90s (!). Here are some of my musings...

(for those who haven't read Batman #1-6, some spoilers ahead I guess...)

Overall, the writing is sharp, and as Forrest mentions, no lengthy origins or backstory to start the series, Snyder just drops you into the story and assumes you will catch up (but gives you the narrative tools to do so, unlike a number of modern comic writers). There's a richness of detail that's very pleasing. I love the idea of the missing 13th floors of Gotham's buildings (a detail specific to NYC's old buildings, actually) being lairs for the Owls... very clever. I like that the writer seems far ahead of me in terms of the plotting, and there's lots of fun surprises along the way.

I loved the suspense and mystery of #1-3, and the new villains introduced. The madness issue of #5 was great fun (though as an aside, I find myself wondering how long did it take to break down a guy as mentally tough as Batman? Weeks, months?). #6 was good, but maybe not earth-shattering given the big buildup up to it. I'm kind of ready to move onto a new arc, though I've enjoyed this one.

I like the art... for the most part. There are pages and spreads that are quite beautifully drawn. I do have nitpicks here and there, though. The fight scenes don't seem very interesting to me, compared to fight scenes of other classic Bat-artists... there are lots of 'quick cuts' around the action that take away from what's going on, and I don't always feel clear where characters are in relationship to each other. Some of the faces also get kind of cartoony from time to time (esp Bats' face in #5-6), which I find jarring given the crisp realism of the city scenes, moody shading, etc. Still, in broad strokes the art is good and serves the story well.

My 2c

Jon :hi:

Batman has long been my favorite character, although I never collected any of his books. I have Dark Knight Returns, and Year One, but little else. I decided to try this book after browsing it in my LCS. I am hooked. Ranks up there among the best books I am currently reading. Outside of a few books ( Winter Soldier..and umm...hrmm? ) DC is kicking Marvel's rear right now IMHO.

Along with Batman I am also buying:

Wonder Woman ( give this a try as well, excellent story so far )

Detective

Animal Man

I Vampire

Deadman

Not bad for a guy who never subscribed to DC in 40 years!