• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning: Amazing Fantasy #15 Scam

61 posts in this topic

This book from (spidey76) is actually restored with a color copy cover.

Amazing Fantasy # 15 (1962) first spider Man

In the listing he states:

"This is a VF to a VF+ copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 featuring and introducing Spiderman.Very RARE to find a copy left for sale!. It has been very well taken care of, pages are a little bit yellow, but the comic is complete and in great condition, bought it on Frank and Sons a few months ago, it was my lifetime achievement, but crisis gives me no choice, it is the real deal, i add 12 picture so you can check it, if you need more pictures i can provide them. "

$(KGrHqZHJE4E88eUTI5LBPRfK63!4!~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJDgE8for8cT9BPRfKmLCZQ~~60_57.JPG

This is the same book.

Amazing Fantasy # 15 4.5 cgc first Spider Man

$(KGrHqZHJC4E7y+jFVozBO+R2oNDHw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJBYE7)z8-ukgBO+R2+J-ow~~60_57.JPG

The seller (spideygeek12) sold it twice as a PLOD and then cracked it out and tried to sell it raw with no mention of restoration.

spideygeek12 completed listings

How much you wanna bet spideygeek12 is also spidey76?

Still amazed that CGC will consider a color copy cover when grading.

+1 That's a 0.5. The seller may have lucked into that 4.0 4.5 and may have just screwed himself cracking it out.

How many points are deducted for a copied cover?

It was my understanding that a missing cover, or even a huge piece of the cover missing, would get a maximum of 0.5. In this case, the owner should tear off the stupid photocopy, resub it, and hope for a 0.5 blue label.

Still amazed that CGC will consider a color copy cover when grading.

I'm not sure how they justify it not being a 0.5 incomplete, even restored. I could see giving it an apparent 4.5 if it was a real married cover.

Possibly CGC regards this book as a mistake now? If not, can I get an apparent NM if I take photocopies of all 9 wraps and really carefully staple them together to look like a book?

This grade might have been a mistake on the part of CGC or they changed their policy since...can't remember which it was.

There was a thread about it a few years ago and the book seems to be making it's rounds.

It may have even been owned by a board member at one point.

R.