• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the Innocent 1954 edition $99

21 posts in this topic

Just one thing for sale: A 1954 printing of Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham. It's the second print. The dust jacket is in such rough shape, let's just say it has no dust jacket. The book's in pretty solid shape, though.

ABOUT SOTI

Last I knew, Overstreet had a bunch of incorrect information about SOTI. Here's the real story.

Back in April, 1954, the first edition of SOTI was published. At some time thereafter, perhaps late '54 or early '55, a second printing was published.

Both of these printings were published with a bibliography at the end (a single leaf, page 399-400). A few copies of the first print were distributed before the book's publisher, Rinehart, decided that the bibliography had to be removed. So the bibliography was carefully sliced out of the remaining copies before they were sold. A few first printings survived with the bibliography intact, but I have never seen or heard of a second printing that survived with the bibliography intact.

See my prior sales thread for theories regarding why the second print was printed with the bibliography.

My prior SOTI sales thread

There are two things that distinguish the second printing from the first printing.

1) The inside front flap of the second print reads "SECOND PRINTING."

2) The first print has an R colophon on the publication page, but the second printing does not have this colophon.

Other than these things, it's easy to mistake a second print for a first print. Whether you buy this copy or buy another copy of SOTI, be sure you know how to tell a first print from a second print. Over the years I have seen many sellers with unjacketed copies of second prints who mistakenly thought they were selling first prints.

THIS BOOK

If you'd like this book, it can be yours for $99 shipped anywhere in the US.

I'll post pics this weekend when I can get a few minutes.

SHIPPING DELAY

Please be aware that my work schedule has me tied up daily from 6am-6pm. That means getting to the Post Office is a rare occurrence for me. If you buy this book, I'll be able to ship it within a week, but it may take that long for me to find time to get to the Post Office.

Thanks for checking out my listing!

It is a nice book!.

I got my copy from my local library. I checked it out in 1978. Lets see, a penny a day since 1978...

lol That would be worth a library banishment!

Im reminded of the Library cop on that Seinfeld episode. :D

It is a nice book!.

I got my copy from my local library. I checked it out in 1978. Lets see, a penny a day since 1978...

Mr. Bookman ... he was ruthless!

It is a nice book!.

Mr. Bookman ... he was ruthless!

That book is flagged sir!

lol

Is the book upside down in real life?

Gee, I thought it was tough to read. I'll try turning it around.

Seriously, though, I'm stumped by this damned Photobucket thing. I took the photos with my iPhone, and the were not all oriented correctly. So I edited the photos before uploading them, to ensure that they were all right side up. But when I uploaded them, Photobucket decided to re-rotate the pics, so most of them were upside down. It appears that despite my edits to rotate the photos, PhotoBucket is reading only the original orientation from the photos' metadata. Anybody else have experience with this? I'd love to know how I can get PhotoBucket to ignore the metadata in the photos and just present them as they appear on my PC.

SHIPPING DELAY

Please be aware that my work schedule has me tied up daily from 6am-6pm. That means getting to the Post Office is a rare occurrence for me. If you buy this book, I'll be able to ship it within a week, but it may take that long for me to find time to get to the Post Office.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you can SCHEDULE A PICKUP online with the Post Office.

SHIPPING DELAY

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you can SCHEDULE A PICKUP online with the Post Office.

Thanks for the input. Not a realistic option for me right now while my postal scale is out of commission. But I appreciate the help.

Just one thing for sale: A 1954 printing of Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham. It's the second print. The dust jacket is in such rough shape, let's just say it has no dust jacket. The book's in pretty solid shape, though.

ABOUT SOTI

Last I knew, Overstreet had a bunch of incorrect information about SOTI. Here's the real story.

Back in April, 1954, the first edition of SOTI was published. At some time thereafter, perhaps late '54 or early '55, a second printing was published.

Both of these printings were published with a bibliography at the end (a single leaf, page 399-400). A few copies of the first print were distributed before the book's publisher, Rinehart, decided that the bibliography had to be removed. So the bibliography was carefully sliced out of the remaining copies before they were sold. A few first printings survived with the bibliography intact, but I have never seen or heard of a second printing that survived with the bibliography intact.

See my prior sales thread for theories regarding why the second print was printed with the bibliography.

My prior SOTI sales thread

There are two things that distinguish the second printing from the first printing.

1) The inside front flap of the second print reads "SECOND PRINTING."

2) The first print has an R colophon on the publication page, but the second printing does not have this colophon.

Other than these things, it's easy to mistake a second print for a first print. Whether you buy this copy or buy another copy of SOTI, be sure you know how to tell a first print from a second print. Over the years I have seen many sellers with unjacketed copies of second prints who mistakenly thought they were selling first prints.

THIS BOOK

If you'd like this book, it can be yours for $99 shipped anywhere in the US.

I'll post pics this weekend when I can get a few minutes.

SHIPPING DELAY

Thanks for checking out my listing!

I'm surprised this one's still around. Let's try one price drop. This book, as pictured, with no dust jacket, just $75.