• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

too buy or not to buy

39 posts in this topic

i collected comics when i was younger(1988-1995) then i gave it up to focus on growing up and being a teenager lol.. but with the spark of all the comic movies and tv series (twd) ive started collecting again.. i had prolly probably 100-150 books a year ago.. now im sittin at about 3300.. i have stuff from the 60's all the way up to last weeks pull list.. i love it more now than ever and i problyprobably will open a shop one day and quit my job lol

Fixed for you. (thumbs u

You must be a young buck,I have underwear older than you. lol

:facepalm:

i collected comics when i was younger(1988-1995) then i gave it up to focus on growing up and being a teenager lol.. but with the spark of all the comic movies and tv series (twd) ive started collecting again.. i had prolly probably 100-150 books a year ago.. now im sittin at about 3300.. i have stuff from the 60's all the way up to last weeks pull list.. i love it more now than ever and i problyprobably will open a shop one day and quit my job lol

Fixed for you. (thumbs u

Your being a troll.

:grin:

Fixed for you. (thumbs u

Your being a troll.

:grin:

I am? hm I knew I was in the Twilight Zone :sorry:

My advice? Try to focus your collecting habits with slabbed books. It's VERY easy to buy scattershot with all the pretty that comes up for sale. You'll end up spending every spare penny you have. Especially with a little girl, you'll need to be extra careful with your buying habits addictions. (Not to mention your mid-life crisis, Mr. 30-year-old. lol )

I bought my first CGC book a little over a year ago. Quickly took off from there, buying every HG book that I looked back fondly of as a kid (grew up in the 80s, turning 40 next month). That scattershot buying pattern is mostly out of my system.

Now, I've found myself focusing primarily on early key Legion of Super-Heroes books. LoSH is what got me into this hobby back when I was 8-ish. So, that title and those characters have particular sentimental value to me, starting with Shooter's run in the 60s. :cloud9:

i say you are in it for the wrong reason if the only reason to buy a book is profit ... If its a book you personally want then buy the sucker the lower the better i say :)

Well, buying comics is a lot like buying stocks...if minute you are a buyer, you are a seller.

it seems like alot of books on ebay have slowed there roll..im not sure what to buy or not anymore.. one day a book is hot then the next you cant give it away lol

You got hands on experience with Fergie's lovely lady lumps? :popcorn:

put the money toward learning how to play craps...I heard you can beat the house and rake in big $$. I am leaning that way myself. Thank God I sold most of my comic collection already. Now, I just have to use that money to buy a big 1000 lbs table and plop that mofo in the middle of my living room and PARTY.

put the money toward learning how to play craps...I heard you can beat the house and rake in big $$. I am leaning that way myself. Thank God I sold most of my comic collection already. Now, I just have to use that money to buy a big 1000 lbs table and plop that mofo in the middle of my living room and PARTY.

lol

it seems like alot of books on ebay have slowed there roll..im not sure what to buy or not anymore.. one day a book is hot then the next you cant give it away lol

What kind of books are you buying? If you are buying 'moderns' I could understand this to be true. That being said, you are better off buying pre 1968 and earlier books if you are looking for books to 'invest' in. You should also consider going after the 'blue chip keys.'

I my experience, and many will disagree; I can tell you that vinatge books graded 9.4 and over are very volatile. This is especially true of 'bronze age' books. The silver age is a much more 'stable' era in my opinion; but it depends on what you buy. This is 'key' (no pun intended).

If you are focusing on 'slabbed' books, GPA is your friend. Even with GPA however, you still have to have the ability to understand price trends, price ranges between grades and so forth. This is why it is imperative to know what you want and in what grade. With this information it is easy to estimate a price range that should hold true for any vintage book you buy; within reason.

The CGC forums are a great place to learn and interact with fellow collectors. I have learned so much here and appreciate all the advice anyone is willing to share. With an 'open mind' you too will learn about this collecting field in time.

Welcome to the boards.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Chasing hot moderns will leave you penniless and sad, and you will dump your collection in a few months. Just buy stuff you enjoy reading.

I would recommend you buy TPBs...then you can actually read them and not have to worry about condition :)

I would recommend you buy TPBs...then you can actually read them and not have to worry about condition :)

With the exception of my main runs, I have started moving in this direction. I also don't mind letting others read my copies and develop an interest in comics this way.

i just recently got into the cgc lately and went to megecon two weekends ago(great convention btw) i had a few books graded.. fatale #1 a&b chew #1 walking dead #1 invincible #1 jla rrp variant watchmen #1(idk why lol) adventure time #1 chapel hill variant new mutants 98.. ive also recently purchased green lantern #1 teardrop misprint alpha girl #1 nonplayer #1 peter panzerfaust #1 thief of thieves and some other

Welcome to the Boards.

Don't be afraid of capital letters.