• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another AC1 at auction

41 posts in this topic

Slightly brittle and a spine split up to the bottom staple. 4.5? CGC, that's a joke.

Seems like I asked a question a year or so ago about the highest grade a book could receive with slightly brittle pages. I think the answer I got was either 7 or 7.5.

I thought I saw an Action #36 CGC 8.5 with slightly brittle paqges but, I could be wrong.
I saw 4.5 and it presents well. First thought was, it belongs in comicdonna's action run. lol I don't think it deserves 4.5 with sb pages though but thats my opinion.

Slightly brittle and a spine split up to the bottom staple. 4.5? CGC, that's a joke.

but other than those errors that book really presents well

for a one that is 75 years old.

If I had the money, I'd take it!

(thumbs u

It's a death sentence. No way to improve the PQ unless you conserve it and put it in a purple label. Only thing it can go to is brittle pages if not stored right.

The fact that the pages are designated slightly brittle could mean that there is just one tiny area that is slightly brittle...the rest of the book could very well be supple and nice.

This usually happens when a small portion of the book stays exposed to improper conditions while the rest of the book is protected...like if a corner was hanging out in a stack of books.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is brittle on this particular book but in my experience, it's usually a relatively small portion of the book that is brittle under that designation.

The fact that the pages are designated slightly brittle could mean that there is just one tiny area that is slightly brittle...the rest of the book could very well be supple and nice.

I actually never looked at it this way, and made the wrong assumption it applied to the entire book.

Thanks for the education.

but other than those errors that book really presents well

for a one that is 75 years old.

If I had the money, I'd take it!

(thumbs u

It's a death sentence. No way to improve the PQ unless you conserve it and put it in a purple label. Only thing it can go to is brittle pages if not stored right.

This usually happens when a small portion of the book stays exposed to improper conditions while the rest of the book is protected...like if a corner was hanging out in a stack of books.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is brittle on this particular book but in my experience, it's usually a relatively small portion of the book that is brittle under that designation.

I understand that but if the spine was in tact id say I agree but it's split pretty bad. I don't see it just on the interior.

I see the grades on a lot of books butchered with SB pages. Why not this one?

From what I know about CGC, slightly brittle pages do bring the grade down, but as the grades drop, more and more defects are allowed in the lower grades than the higher ones.

It's quite likely that the SB designation has a much bigger impact on a high grade book than a mid grade or a low grade book.

Again, not everyone agrees with CGC grading so people who "buy the book and not the label" may or may not like this book depending on your pet peeves.

Having cracked out many books out of CGC holders and examined page quality, my experience is that the pages are usually not nearly as bad as the words on the label would lead you to believe.

For example, Cream to Off White or Light Tan to Off White can be a real turn off to some people just because of what the words represent but the reality is that often the pages are not really as bad as you might be led to believe.

Anyhow, that's just my 2c

Seems like I asked a question a year or so ago about the highest grade a book could receive with slightly brittle pages. I think the answer I got was either 7 or 7.5.

I thought I saw an Action #36 CGC 8.5 with slightly brittle paqges but, I could be wrong.

Could be right. Can't find the old thread.

I see the grades on a lot of books butchered with SB pages. Why not this one?

From what I know about CGC, slightly brittle pages do bring the grade down, but as the grades drop, more and more defects are allowed in the lower grades than the higher ones.

It's quite likely that the SB designation has a much bigger impact on a high grade book than a mid grade or a low grade book.

Again, not everyone agrees with CGC grading so people who "buy the book and not the label" may or may not like this book depending on your pet peeves.

Having cracked out many books out of CGC holders and examined page quality, my experience is that the pages are usually not nearly as bad as the words on the label would lead you to believe.

For example, Cream to Off White or Light Tan to Off White can be a real turn off to some people just because of what the words represent but the reality is that often the pages are not really as bad as you might be led to believe.

Anyhow, that's just my 2c

I see where you're coming from but I feel other books are judged much harsher due to slightly brittle pages. Either way it's a nice book and I have no intentions of buying it. Just my opinion.

When I was at CGC, the highest grade a "slightly brittle" book could receive is 6.5, but you'd have to call and see if that has changed in the last 8 months.

OOOO....a divulsion of information on CGC grading. :o

Tell me - how many NCB spine tics to turn a 9.6 into a 9.4? :baiting:

I gently massage Vaseline intensive hand cream into all my books to prevent premature aging and drying.

It also gives them a soft, yet comforting perfume and the lubricative properties of the cream makes it easier to slide the books in and out of their bags without the worry of accidental damage.

I gently massage Vaseline intensive hand cream into all my books to prevent premature aging and drying.

It also gives them a soft, yet comforting perfume and the lubricative properties of the cream makes it easier to slide the books in and out of their bags without the worry of accidental damage.

How do you get the vaseline into a slab? (shrug)

I see where you're coming from but I feel other books are judged much harsher due to slightly brittle pages. Either way it's a nice book and I have no intentions of buying it. Just my opinion.

examples?

examples? There is a thread in the comic book grading/restoration section about an asm 2.5 sb pages. It looked better than this. I suck at the search engine. I don't know how to pull it up.

dug up that old thread but there are no scans there but luckily Ebay still has it..wow after 5 months?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260837462922&si=ctnxaNLwgefUV7inuX9dJLTWcJk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1413

hard to tell from those small scans

I contacted the seller throguh ebay for scans. Biggest flaws were the slightly rounder corners. No big crease/chips/spine splits. I don't have them anymore though. I was so tempted to purchase the book. It went for 1,8xx. Don't remember the exact figure but it was a nice book for a 2.5.

I contacted the seller throguh ebay for scans. Biggest flaws were the slightly rounder corners. No big crease/chips/spine splits. I don't have them anymore though. I was so tempted to purchase the book. It went for 1,8xx. Don't remember the exact figure but it was a nice book for a 2.5.

Yeah, but again you can't just grade or compare a book from a 2 dimensional scan.

The book has rounded corners for one. That right there tells me that the book has been well read and not stored for preservation. It probably feels like a floppy rag in hand.

It's impossible to judge a book from a scan when there are so many factors to take into account other than just colour breaking defects and rips or splits.

You could have stains, missing interior pieces, smell, rust on staples, loose pages...and of course the way the book feels in hand.

All will play a role towards the final grade and not show up in a scan.