• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need some help here -

33 posts in this topic

Wizard had published the Best Modern Covers of all time and I was wondering if anyone remebers the issue where the THING was looking at a shadow of Batman and sayin "NOT YOU!! " or something along those lines ? -

what issue was that ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Wizard had published the Best Modern Covers of all time and I was wondering if anyone remebers the issue where the THING was looking at a shadow of Batman and sayin "NOT YOU!! " or something along those lines ? -

52075323508.91.GIF

100 Best Covers #100: Marvel Two-In-One #91

It didn't matter that Marvel didn't own Batman. Rather, that was the beauty of this double-take by Ron Wilson. Marvel capitalized on comics' most recognizable character in comics, even if it's just a shadow. "Clearly a Mark Gruenwald idea, if only for his mischievous crossing of the Marvel Universe with DC's" says DC V.P. Mike Carlin, who was then assisting editor Gruenwald.

52075323508.91.GIF

100 Best Covers #100: Marvel Two-In-One #91

It didn't matter that Marvel didn't own Batman. Rather, that was the beauty of this double-take by Ron Wilson. Marvel capitalized on comics' most recognizable character in comics, even if it's just a shadow. "Clearly a Mark Gruenwald idea, if only for his mischievous crossing of the Marvel Universe with DC's" says DC V.P. Mike Carlin, who was then assisting editor Gruenwald.

who did the shadow end up being?

Since I'm kinda bored, and in a "what the heck mood", here's the next book on WIZARD's list. Maybe I'll just do one a day for the next 99 days.

100 Best Covers #99: Avengers #181 (1978)

05815547774.181.GIF

For the very first time, cover penciler George Perez indulged his love for super-detail by cramming in 24 characters on a single cover. "That was the first time I'd drawn that many characters on one cover," says Perez. He then deadpans, "Later, though, I'd surpass that number by multiples!" (No kidding - Perez packed 562 characters on the Crisis on Infinite Earths hardcover 20 years later.)

100 Best Covers #98: Red Sonja #1 (1977)

68057939858.1.GIF

Sex appeal can make for a great cover, and Red Sonja #1 has it in spades. A spinoff from Marvel's Conan the Barbarian, this warrior-woman's debut cover left fans with an impression that cut deep. "Frank Thorne's art is fantastic," says TAROT writer/artist Jim Balent. "You've got a beautiful woman in a metal bikini with a sword. What *don't* you like about it?"

Since I'm kinda bored, and in a "what the heck mood", here's the next book on WIZARD's list. Maybe I'll just do one a day for the next 99 days.

Great cover! Keep 'em coming!!

Maybe start a new thread for this?? This would be a cool one to follow.

Jason

----------------------

For the very first time, cover penciler George Perez indulged his love for super-detail by cramming in 24 characters on a single cover. "That was the first time I'd drawn that many characters on one cover," says Perez. He then deadpans, "Later, though, I'd surpass that number by multiples!" (No kidding - Perez packed 562 characters on the Crisis on Infinite Earths hardcover 20 years later.)

Maybe start a new thread for this??

Well, I thought it was interesting that cgcfan asked a question about the book that had happened to be chosen as #100. From there, I though "Why not just count them down?" Still, if you're reading this, cgcfan, maybe you could edit the title of the post to "WIZARD's 100 Greatest Covers" ?

100 Best Covers #97: Daredevil (vol.2) #1 (1998)

21268951208.1.GIF

What an angle! The dynamic shot of Daredevil somersaulting off a New York high-rise while manipulating his billy club makes you almost forget that the Man Without Fear is *blind*. Artists Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti's attention to detail looks awesome, and the image perfectly heralded the arrival of some writer named Kevin Smith.

100 Best Covers #97: Daredevil (vol.2) #1 (1998)

21268951208.1.GIF

What an angle! The dynamic shot of Daredevil somersaulting off a New York high-rise while manipulating his billy club makes you almost forget that the Man Without Fear is *blind*. Artists Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti's attention to detail looks awesome, and the image perfectly heralded the arrival of some writer named Kevin Smith.

Then they put it in the movie....That was an awesome scene. Especially recognizing for what it was at the time...a spin-off of this cover.

100 Best Covers #98: Red Sonja #1 (1977)

68057939858.1.GIF

Sex appeal can make for a great cover, and Red Sonja #1 has it in spades. A spinoff from Marvel's Conan the Barbarian, this warrior-woman's debut cover left fans with an impression that cut deep. "Frank Thorne's art is fantastic," says TAROT writer/artist Jim Balent. "You've got a beautiful woman in a metal bikini with a sword. What *don't* you like about it?"

One of my friends who used to work at my job here in NJ knew I was into comics told me that his neighbor is a comicbook artist. I said "Oh yeah, who?" "His name is Frank Thorne" he answered. The next day I gave him a copy of Red Sonja # 1 and got an autograph. cloud9.gif

100 Best Covers #96: Thor #356 (1985)

87387731330.356.GIF

Comedy is hard. But what makes this Bob Layton cover work is the juxtaposition of the main character with a guest-star. Instead of the standard "Thor smiting a rock troll" image that usually graces the cover, you have the Thunder God being dismissed in such a casual, slapstick way you can't help but smile, wonder "...the hell?" and pick up the book to get some answers.

100 Best Covers #95: X-Men #1D (1991)

97794297722.1.COVER.D.GIF

Cover artist Jim Lee energized Magneto for the 21st century in this perfect power pose. "Jim's full shot of the X-Men's arch-nemesis remaining completely unharmed in his magnetic shield is simply one of those classic comic book images," says DANGER GIRL creator J. Scott Campbell.

100 Best Covers #94: Secret Wars #1 (1984)

72795747460.1.GIF

This comin'-at-ya cover is the first of eight on our Top 100 list drawn by uber-talented Mike Zeck. "A group shot like that, it's a tour de force as a designer," says industry legend John Romita Sr. "When you design a cover like that, you are really putting yourself through the mill." Zeck's even heard from many fans who feel Secret Wars #1 top their list of favorite covers: "I had a good feeling this cover stood up well."