• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never heard of this...

10 posts in this topic

I was browsing ebay for some mokf and stumbled across this.

MOKF Variant

What is a Marvel file copy? Seller does not give much info about his statement.

In his description he says "These comics went right from the newstand straight to bags and boards and they are drop dead beautiful!" confused-smiley-013.gif

I emailed him about it

Dear ferndale4,

File copy? Whose files?

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2247468311

Thank you,

rob_react

His reply

----- Original Message -----

To: rob_react

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 9:30 AM

Subject: RE: Question from eBay Member: The Mighty Thor #246 .30 Cent Variant 9.2+ File Copy! (2247468311)

Dear Rob, My definition of a “File Copy” is a comic that was purchased new right off the rack, bagged and boarded and “filed away”. It is unread and uncirculated. It has no reading wear, no storage wear, and no wear whatsoever. It is essentially a new comic. That is what these are. I hope this answers your question and thanks for your interest. Regards, Pete

My reply to that

Okay, because everyone else, with the help of the Overstreet Price Guide, define a file copy as something different entirely.

To pull a bit from page 944 of the new guide:

"FILE COPY: A high grade comic originating from the publisher's file..."

Calling anything other than a book from the publisher's, or in some cases artist's or writer's, file is confusing.

Thanks,

Rob

his reply

Rob, Wow, I was not aware of the actual Overstreet definition. Thanks for this info. I will have to modify my future auctions accordingly. Regards, Pete

thumbsup2.gif

The truth be told....he may have been telling the truth that he did not know that (file copy) was not a generic term confused-smiley-013.gif

I doubt it since he knows he has a marvel 30cent variant, but........you never know makepoint.gif

The truth be told....he may have been telling the truth that he did not know that (file copy) was not a generic term confused-smiley-013.gif

I doubt it since he knows he has a marvel 30cent variant, but........you never know makepoint.gif

Granted, he may be telling the truth. It just strikes me as odd to add an additional tag to his auction that is not necessary and a bit unfounded. He obviously knows what he has, why dress it up? Using his definition of a "file copy", every modern collector on the planet that bags and boards their books has a file copy.

Granted, he may be telling the truth. It just strikes me as odd to add an additional tag to his auction that is not necessary and a bit unfounded. He obviously knows what he has, why dress it up? Using his definition of a "file copy", every modern collector on the planet that bags and boards their books has a file copy.

So what your saying is that we are all rich 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Granted, he may be telling the truth. It just strikes me as odd to add an additional tag to his auction that is not necessary and a bit unfounded. He obviously knows what he has, why dress it up?

To get extra attention for his auctions? It certainly worked in this case. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif