• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA from DC Super Powers Mini-Comics

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever come across the OA from the DC Super Powers mini comics?

These were from 1983 and were packaged with Kenner Toys DC Super Powers Collection line. They were 4 1/4" x 2 3/4" with 16 pages all in color.

Not sure who the artists were on these books. From what I understand, though, these were original stories, and not reprints. So I would assume that there WAS original art.

Here's a link:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=457631

If you have additional info, please let me know!

Andrew

We've sold a few pieces of cover art to these at ComicLink:

RADBCB5220111025_172556.jpg

RADB325A20111025_172634.jpg

The small versions to the right are the prelims and the larger images on the left are the finished pieces (on vellum). There are minor differences to the published versions.

We even sold this unpublished cover for a Golden Pharaoh mini-comic:

RAD4C3BA20111025_172526.jpg

The artists for this stuff are generally uncredited, though the Golden Pharaoh cover would seem to be attributed to Alex Saviuk (top tight). I have heard that Jose Garcia Lopez and Giordano were responsible with a lot of the design art for the Super Powers line, so I would imagine they might have been involved as well. I have seen interior art pages for these as well, btw, but not complete stories.

Andrew,

The original artwork for the Kenner mini-comics is pretty difficult to locate, but some of it definitely still exists. I avidly collect this artwork myself and have a few images from my personal collection and corresponding links to the entries showcasing these pieces on Super Powers website to share :

luthor-mini-comic-cover-art-b.jpg

Lex Luthor Mini-Comic Cover Artwork

joker-mini-comic-cover-art-a.jpg

Joker Mini-comic Cover Artwork

Please note that none of this material is for sale...just wanted to share in this discussion. Other mini-comic artwork pieces that are confirmed to have stood the test of time include:

- Aquaman: cover

- Lex Luthor: interior pages 10 & 11

- Parademon: cover and complete interior pages

- Darkseid: cover and near complete interior pages - missing only one page

- Joker: early alternate interior pencils showing van version of Jokermobile instead of car version

If anyone can add any confirmed covers/pages that aren't shown in this thread or contained in the above list please do post them. I'd love to be able to expand my list of documented pages/covers!

A cool informational tidbit about the Golden Pharaoh piece shown earlier in this thread... It is actually revision artwork done for the 3rd series in-pack poster/catalog that came packaged inside 3rd series vehicles like the Batcopter. The edges of that art are angled strangely since the revision art needed to seamlessly overlay onto the rest of the artwork.

- Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the additional info and the links. I did a search yesterday and I happened across your website. I shared the link with my friend, and I'll also give him the link to this thread.

Love the Joker cover, BTW!

Cheers,

Andrew