• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picture Frame list?

20 posts in this topic

Is there a master list of all the Marvel Picture Frame books? I can't find one if there is.

Are there any that are particularly hard to find?

Never mind. Registry set to the rescue.

Wow, that's way more books than I imagined. :eek:

Now...are there any that are particularly tough to find?

It's only 388 books. Only.

None are tough to find. But there are plenty that are tough in high grade.

These are among the toughest:

Chili #18-20

Creatures On The Loose #15

Harvey #3-6

Kid Colt Outlaw #158, 164

Li'L Kids #4-9

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel's Greatest Comics #37

Marvel Tales #33, 34, 40

Marvel Triple Action #6

Mighty Marvel Western #16-18

Millie The Model #194-199

Monsters On The Prowl #20

My Love #14-20

Our Love Story #14-20

Rawhide Kid #105

Ringo Kid #13-17

Special Marvel Edition #4

Two-Gun Kid #101-107

Western Gunfighters #8

Western Kid #5

Wyatt Earp #30, 31

Chili #18-20

Harvey #3-6

Li'L Kids #4-9

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel Tales #33, 34, 40

Marvel Triple Action #6

My Love #14-20

Our Love Story #14-20

Rawhide Kid #105

Ringo Kid #13-17

Two-Gun Kid #101-107

Western Gunfighters #8

Western Kid #5

Wyatt Earp #30, 31

GT, what do you think about adding these ones to that list, as the census numbers on these are low as well, a single graded book for each of these... the reprint books are really as tough as the Romance and Westerns, but seem to get much less press

Special Marvel Edition #6 (1 graded, a 9.4)

Marvel's Greatest Comics #39 (1 graded, a 9.6)

Marvel Super-Heroes #34 (1 graded, a 9.0)

Chili #18-20

Harvey #3-6

Li'L Kids #4-9

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel Tales #33, 34, 40

Marvel Triple Action #6

My Love #14-20

Our Love Story #14-20

Rawhide Kid #105

Ringo Kid #13-17

Two-Gun Kid #101-107

Western Gunfighters #8

Western Kid #5

Wyatt Earp #30, 31

GT, what do you think about adding these ones to that list, as the census numbers on these are low as well, a single graded book for each of these... the reprint books are really as tough as the Romance and Westerns, but seem to get much less press

Special Marvel Edition #6 (1 graded, a 9.4)

Marvel's Greatest Comics #39 (1 graded, a 9.6)

Marvel Super-Heroes #34 (1 graded, a 9.0)

I think you're right, SME #6 and Marvel's Greatest should be on the list. (I own both of the copies you mentioned, so I probably overlooked them.)

Marvel Super-Heroes #34 isn't a Picture Frame book. #32 and 33 were the only issues of the title that were picture frames, I think. Although it does have a great Gil Kane Hulk/Hercules cover.

Marvel Super-Heroes #34 isn't a Picture Frame book. #32 and 33 were the only issues of the title that were picture frames, I think. Although it does have a great Gil Kane Hulk/Hercules cover.

yes, you are correct, I don't know why I was thinking it was a PF

I'm so glad I don't chase PFs anymore....such a frustrating endeavor. :pullhair:

For me, the PFs rejuvenated my passion for collecting. I was at the point where FFs were the only title that I wanted to complete but hadn't. I was putting in large bids on some of the early books and not even getting close to winning the books.

I realized I would have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to complete the run. And as much as I would have liked to get the books, I knew it wasn't a realistic goal.

I had already been buying the 25¢ square-bound PFs. But thanks to these boards and collectors like you George, the rest of the books got my attention too.

It's a huge challenge to complete the run in high grade, but it's a blast. For the first time in years, I started buying raw books again in the hope of finding sweet copies to slab. And instead of having to lay out tens of thousand for a book to check off my want list, the most expensive and toughest PFs can usually be had for around $400.

10 years ago, I never would believed that a high grade Millie the Model or Two-Gun Kid would get me excited. But that's where I am now and I'm having a ton of fun with the search.

MC great list and thanks for sharing!

Does anybody recall why Ironman was bi-monthly at the beginning of the run?

Were sales sagging in 1972?

Yup. At one point they were even considering merging IM with Daredevil a la a new Tales of Suspense double feature book. I believe this was even announced in the Bullpen Bulletins. Obviously, sales improved.

Chili #18-20

Harvey #3-6

Li'L Kids #4-9

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel Tales #33, 34, 40

Marvel Triple Action #6

My Love #14-20

Our Love Story #14-20

Rawhide Kid #105

Ringo Kid #13-17

Two-Gun Kid #101-107

Western Gunfighters #8

Western Kid #5

Wyatt Earp #30, 31

Wow thats alot of books. Should make a club for people who have them all...I can join :acclaim: I also found it alot more fun buying the obsure books when I was getting them!

I'm so glad I don't chase PFs anymore....such a frustrating endeavor. :pullhair:

For me, the PFs rejuvenated my passion for collecting. I was at the point where FFs were the only title that I wanted to complete but hadn't. I was putting in large bids on some of the early books and not even getting close to winning the books.

I realized I would have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to complete the run. And as much as I would have liked to get the books, I knew it wasn't a realistic goal.

I had already been buying the 25¢ square-bound PFs. But thanks to these boards and collectors like you George, the rest of the books got my attention too.

It's a huge challenge to complete the run in high grade, but it's a blast. For the first time in years, I started buying raw books again in the hope of finding sweet copies to slab. And instead of having to lay out tens of thousand for a book to check off my want list, the most expensive and toughest PFs can usually be had for around $400.

I here you Barton, they are indeed both an immense challenge AND fun to collect. I gave up my pursuit after a few years when it became clear it would take years to complete in grade. Kinda like dropping out at mile 8, because you only then realize the marathon is 26 miles long, but I applaud you for sticking with it. Thanks for sharing all your great acquisitions with us, I know it's been a blast to follow your pursuit. (thumbs u

10 years ago, I never would believed that a high grade Millie the Model or Two-Gun Kid would get me excited. But that's where I am now and I'm having a ton of fun with the search.

They're a great collecting focus not just for the completist looking for a relatively inexpensive and challenging grouping.

These are the books that turned me into a lifelong comic reader and collector 40 years ago. I've thoroughly enjoyed collecting high grade slabbed runs of the superhero, war, and sword-and-sorcery titles, and buying nice raw copies of the issues with cover dates before May 1972 to complete my reader runs. Through this focus, I've also gained a new appreciation for Gil Kane's remarkable body of cover work from this time period.

I don't need to collect the horror, kiddie, or romance titles that I don't feel particularly connected with, which saves on the pocketbook and frustration level both.

Thanks to MasterChief for compiling this very helpful list and posting it once again.

They're a great collecting focus not just for the completist looking for a relatively inexpensive and challenging grouping.

These are the books that turned me into a lifelong comic reader and collector 40 years ago. I've thoroughly enjoyed collecting high grade slabbed runs of the superhero, war, and sword-and-sorcery titles, and buying nice raw copies of the issues with cover dates before May 1972 to complete my reader runs. Through this focus, I've also gained a new appreciation for Gil Kane's remarkable body of cover work from this time period.

I don't need to collect all of the horror, kiddie, or romance titles that I don't feel particularly connected with, which saves on the pocketbook and frustration level both.

Thanks to MasterChief for compiling this very helpful list and posting it once again.

Just wondering why you picked May 1972 back for your reader runs? Thats the year and month I was born. hm

That's the month I started a five year run of buying comics off the rack, and that are still in my possession. So I've got all the picture frame readers I want from that date forward.

That's the month I started a five year run of buying comics off the rack, and that are still in my possession. So I've got all the picture frame readers I want from that date forward.

Nice! I didnt buy a comic off the rack till they were 60 cent cover price. I had alot of back issues to buy. lol