• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheldon Moldoff has passed away at age 91

47 posts in this topic

Shelly was a great guy. I got acquainted with him back in early 1990. Saw him a few months ago in Miami and he told me the body may not be working perfectly, but the mind is still sharp as a tack....and it was! I'll always remember you, my friend

ZAMISCshellymoldoff.jpg

NEWshellyautograph2011-1.jpg

photoshelly1.jpg

Here's a display that Shelly created that was so perplexing I took it apart to figure out what he had done. Clever how he was able to create a three dimensional effect by using just a plastic transparency, a back board, and paint

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Very sad that such a great talent is gone, I had no idea he had done so much, I know about Hawkman and GL, but not too much more.

Thanks for sharing...

I looked for a list in the GCD and I was amazed how much he's done.

RIP.

http://www.comics.org/credit/name/moldoff/sort/alpha/

Sorry to learn of Shelly's passing. First we lose Joe Simon, then Jerry Robinson and now Sheldon Moldoff. It saddens me that we've lost so many GA Hall of Famers the past few months.

No doubt that they lived full lives and lived to see their work appreciated. We should be grateful that they were with us this long I suppose, but there is a deep sense of loss in that their like will not pass this way again. :(

First picture is Shelly and Shirley circa 1993-4

Second picture is our own Friscoman (in his younger, wilder, days with Shelly

Then a shot from out at dinner with the Moldoffs that night

shelly1.jpg

In the first picture here, is a much younger, and heavier, me getting some GA knowledge from Shelly

And to show you that dinner that night was an eclectic mix, also joining us was Dan Fogel. Talk about bridging the gap between GA and Undergrounds :)

shelly3.jpg

Very sad day....

My favorite Shelly GL cover.

aa212.jpg

My favorite Moldoff cover. I just purchased a copy a couple of weeks ago. Shelly was a true pioneer not just in the GA but with respect to visually portraying the earlist superheros. That cover is only 2 years after Action 1 and yet it's way ahead of its time. No word balloon needed. The art tells the little kid in you what Green Lantern is thinking: "Think you're tough with that Tommy Gun, bad guy? Take this!" [WHAM!]